Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #3,947 of 4,383
Hi guys,

I want to ask if any of you are familiar with the grado gr10 in ears.

These are my main IEMs, but i also bought some UE 900 about a month and a bit ago.

I bought these second hand, but feel like i made a mistake.

Compared to the gr10, i find them not as clear and detailed as i hoped.

To fix this i bought a FiiO cable, and this brought some clarity, but i still don't find them sounding as well as my gr10’s.

Is it just my taste in earphones, or is there something i can do to "fix" these UE 900’S?

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #3,948 of 4,383
Hi guys,

These are my main IEMs, but i also bought some UE 900 about a month and a bit ago.

To fix this i bought a FiiO cable, and this brought some clarity, but i still don't find them sounding as well as my gr10’s.

Is it just my taste in earphones, or is there something i can do to "fix" these UE 900’S?

Try some wide bore tips :wink:

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #3,949 of 4,383
  Since they don't have a replacement I asked for a new cable since they still have them in stock, hoping it will cure the problem.  Should be here in a few days.

Tommy,

UE has the 900s in stock - the website no longer says March

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #3,951 of 4,383
Hi guys,

Try some wide bore tips :wink:

I assume these are the metal things that go into the tube?

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,952 of 4,383
I assume these are the metal things that go into the tube?

He is talking about the soft tips you place at the end of the nozzle - foam or silicone - a larger bore works well with these.

Also, since these are used - are you sure the tiny bass port isn't clogged? It is a tough tell visually, but that covers also be an issue.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #3,953 of 4,383
The bass port being clogged shouldn't affect overall clarity in a negative way. It makes the bass a bit more neutral, so it should actually make the mid range and treble sound a bit clearer or louder, relative to a clean bass port. For people who prefer a cleaner, more neutral sound from the 900, plugging, clogging or blocking the bass port is actually desirable, as these generally have fairly elevated bass prior to doing so. Whether this is the same with the 900s, I am not sure.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3,954 of 4,383
The bass port being clogged shouldn't affect overall clarity in a negative way. It makes the bass a bit more neutral, so it should actually make the mid range and treble sound a bit clearer or louder, relative to a clean bass port. For people who prefer a cleaner, more neutral sound from the 900, plugging, clogging or blocking the bass port is actually desirable, as these generally have fairly elevated bass prior to doing so. Whether this is the same with the 900s, I am not sure.

I have the original UE 900, not the s variety.

I think these earphones just aren't my thing. I tried other eartips too, but it doesn't help much.

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #3,955 of 4,383
Hi guys,

GR10 is MUCH better than UE900.  Not even a fair fight.  GR10 has much more overall transparency and more extended treble.  Equal or better bass.  And the midrange, while more forward, is more euphoric and airy.

I found UE900 to be a real dud for $400. 

If you want to improve upon GR10, you will need to go up to IE800   or W60.

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #3,956 of 4,383
Hi guys,

GR10 is MUCH better than UE900.  Not even a fair fight.  GR10 has much more overall transparency and more extended treble.  Equal or better bass.  And the midrange, while more forward, is more euphoric and airy.

I found UE900 to be a real dud for $400. 

If you want to improve upon GR10, you will need to go up to IE800   or W60.

You described it perfectly. I'm definitely selling my UE900 then.

And thank you for the recommendations!

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #3,957 of 4,383
  Sound signature alone I had 2 different pairs of UE900 and what was maybe most alarming was you couldn't crank it up without immediate distortion. and what I considered "moderately loud" volumes.   Shure and Westone IEM's extend 25dBmore with no distortion.  How do you even design an IEM that behaves like that????

That is a complete "no-go" for me no matter how good the IEM sounds.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #3,958 of 4,383
    Sound signature alone I had 2 different pairs of UE900 and what was maybe most alarming was you couldn't crank it up without immediate distortion. and what I considered "moderately loud" volumes.   Shure and Westone IEM's extend 25dBmore with no distortion.  How do you even design an IEM that behaves like that????

That is a complete "no-go" for me no matter how good the IEM sounds.

Seriously? to my ears the UE900 it's REALLY loud, i think that when they start to distort, that volume lvl isn't safe anymore 

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #3,960 of 4,383
  Same here. I found the 900 to be really loud and clear using my iPhone 5, laptop and desktop. Never had issues with their SS, it's the build quality that sucks.

I think that these phones are made to be reshelled, the sound is great, much better them the TF10, just a touch of V shape, but my westone 3 has the same problem so... 

for my taste only the HF-5 it's really accurate 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back