Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #901 of 4,383
Quote:
I see, well, just to clarify, the vocals on the UE 900 are still very good, right? Also, does the UE 900 have a sturdy build quality? Oh yeah, one more thing. Does the UE900 need an amp or benefit greatly from one? I usually go ampless on my cowon J3 and I wanted to make sure that it is sufficient

I tend to run everything off my iPod Touch (currently 5G, but all comparisons before were made with a 4G) without an amp.  So it doesn't need one.  I haven't tested it with an amp yet unfortunately.  But you can go ampless for sure, it's pretty easy to drive.

Vocals are still good, but the W4 still does a better job of them.  I'm comfortable with the build quality, everything seems pretty good. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #902 of 4,383
Quote:

I have some Klipsch s4s which fit great; I'd upgrade to the x10 for comfort but I hear the wire splits over a few months of use. Right now I'm looking at Livewire dual driver customs, which is cheaper than some multi-armature  (@ $269 + impressions&shipping) universals albeit only having two drivers. 

Livewire has CS issues - in fact I think they split up into Alclair and Clear Tunes Monitors which both produce excellent value for money CIEMs.

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #903 of 4,383
Quote:

I tend to run everything off my iPod Touch (currently 5G, but all comparisons before were made with a 4G) without an amp.  So it doesn't need one.  I haven't tested it with an amp yet unfortunately.  But you can go ampless for sure, it's pretty easy to drive.

Vocals are still good, but the W4 still does a better job of them.  I'm comfortable with the build quality, everything seems pretty good. 

Thanks a bunch! Now I just need someone to compare these to the Heir Audio 4ai's and I'll be able to finally decide which one I'm gonna get =D

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #904 of 4,383
Quote:
Between the Westone 4 and UE 900, for the application you are using it for (rock and classical), I'd say the UE900 may be the better choice. 

I'd always first recommend the W4. It's like small perfection if you can appreciate what it does and it all makes sense. Build and comfort are the best out there. However, sound is about preference and after some time I decided the Westone isn't for me. It does not have flaws as such, but here are a few things that bothered me:
- mid-upper bass peak (actually this only started getting annoying after I tried an UERM mod on the W4)
- veiled vocals (disappear after getting some used to, but if you keep switching with the FX700, definitely apparent)
- broad but 2D-ish soundstage with great distance, takes me too far out of the action
- bass punch softens considerably at lower volumes (I listen at level 1 to 3 from 16 on an EU iPhone)

So in conclusion the W4 was just a tad bit too relaxed for me. I think it's still the best IEM (Heir Audio is not available around here) but if you know what you want, you can try searching alternatives.

Sorry, I can't comment on my new UE900 yet. I didn't use them long enough to make any conclusion and I also have a cold.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #905 of 4,383
Quote:
Thanks a bunch! Now I just need someone to compare these to the Heir Audio 4ai's and I'll be able to finally decide which one I'm gonna get =D

I can't compare the 4.Ai to the UE900's but I did compare them to the Westone 4's here. Personally I think 4.Ai does a better job with vocals.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #906 of 4,383
Quote:
The thing I've found with the W4 is it's a nice IEM for on the go and at work but ultimately I didn't find myself reaching for it when I wanted to just sit back and listen to music.

I fully agree! Nice review and comparison.
I'm also really interested in the 4.Ai but import taxes are ridiculously high, so the price/value relation is completely different over here.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #907 of 4,383
Quote:
Livewire has CS issues - in fact I think they split up into Alclair and Clear Tunes Monitors which both produce excellent value for money CIEMs.

Ooo thanks for that info. For some reason, I've never heard of those companies! The Alclairs seem to be a good value. I already sent my impressions to Livewires though, and I'm expecting them in a few weeks 
ksc75smile.gif
 The real clincher for me was that you could wear these with the cable straight down!

But to stay relative to the topic, I'll get the UE 900s in the future and just get some custom tips made. All these new reviews look great!

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #908 of 4,383
Quote:

I fully agree! Nice review and comparison.
I'm also really interested in the 4.Ai but import taxes are ridiculously high, so the price/value relation is completely different over here.

I might be mistaken, but the 4.Ai would ship from California for you (Heir Audio sells from 2 locations if I'm not mistaken, California and China).  Everything comes from China, but shipped in bulk to Cali (don't quote me on any of this though). 

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #909 of 4,383
I might be mistaken, but the 4.Ai would ship from California for you (Heir Audio sells from 2 locations if I'm not mistaken, California and China).  Everything comes from China, but shipped in bulk to Cali (don't quote me on any of this though). 

Ultrazino's in Germany though so I think the would ship from China.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #910 of 4,383
Quote:
Ultrazino's in Germany though so I think the would ship from China.

Ah, OK, nevermind then.  You'd be left with duties up the...  Yeah.  Sorry about that, it would probably ship from China :p  <removed>

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #912 of 4,383
Now I'm a complete wreck about my next purchase. I have m-100's on pre-order, which was solidified after buying some secondhand m-80's. As much as I love the sound on these on-ears, IEM's just have flat better isolation and long term comfort. NYC is all subways and wind, and the m-80's have suffered a bit from those conditions and some mild microphonics. This is leading me to consider cancelling my m-100's (oh I want that bass purr so bad...) and put my faith in 4ba IEMs. UE900 vs Heir 4ai seems to be the real battle, as I already have Westone Um2's and am curious for a diff sig. Thoughts?

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #913 of 4,383
Got my UE 900 today, they're really, very very good. I haven't been into IEM's for a while now, but this "new" UE has a sound signature that I liked much more than UE10 and UE5c that I had before. I'll leave it at that for now.

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #914 of 4,383
Between the Westone 3, Phonak PFE232, and the UE900. Which one do you recommend me for rock, Metal and electronic music? I'm a proud owner of the Grado GR10 which I love, but I'm searching for a warmer, and a little V-shaped earphone for electronic music ( I need a better bass and PUNCH ). It's the bass of the UE900 punchy and satisfying?

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #915 of 4,383
Between the Westone 3, Phonak PFE232, and the UE900. Which one do you recommend me for rock, Metal and electronic music? I'm a proud owner of the Grado GR10 which I love, but I'm searching for a warmer, and a little V-shaped earphone for electronic music ( I need a better bass and PUNCH ). It's the bass of the UE900 punchy and satisfying?

I haven't heard the W3, but I'd take both the PFE232 and Heir Audio 3.Ai over the UE900 any day for electronic and bass quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back