Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #4,262 of 4,383
Does anyone find them "hollow" sounding? Like, music literally sounds as if it is enclosed in plastic (obviously they are plastic, but I can't describe what I mean any other way lol)

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #4,263 of 4,383
Just got these,  as my IE80s broke. They sound good but missing that bass! Any ideas what eartips to go for to get some of the boom back? I guess comply isolation>?

The IE80's are very bassy compared to these. Just use EQ if it's bothering you, provided it's not a fit issue

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #4,265 of 4,383
I've had these for a while, didn't love the sound, the cable seemed to not connect so well and sound would drift in and out, just left them in a drawer. Recently got an inexpensive Trinity cable for balanced Pono, so I gave it a try again. The fit is still iffy (but I have a mutant L ear canal, have trouble there with many in ear headphones), but I really love the sound. Clear, open, detailed but not harsh, great combo imo.
Just sayin'
(started to read the thread, but I don't have the time/energy to go through the 285 pages...if this was already noted, sorry).

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4,266 of 4,383
Hi guys - I have been using a pair of UE900 for about 5 years now and am thinking of getting the Bose QuietComfort 35 as replacements. 

I have tried out the latter at a local store and just wanted some opinions on the sound quality between the two?

I listen to a variety of pop/R&B music such as the following:

Style by Taylor Swift
Holiday by Madonna
Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton
My All by Mariah Carey
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
Every Breath You Take by The Police
Oblivion by M83
Beating Heart by Ellie Goulding
Billie Jean by Michael Jackson

Sorry if this is a chicken vs. ostrich question - am not much of an audiophile but I very much appreciate good quality music devices. Have a pair of B&W 803Ds in my bedroom.

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #4,267 of 4,383
  Hi guys - I have been using a pair of UE900 for about 5 years now and am thinking of getting the Bose QuietComfort 35 as replacements. 

I have tried out the latter at a local store and just wanted some opinions on the sound quality between the two?

I listen to a variety of pop/R&B music such as the following:

Style by Taylor Swift
Holiday by Madonna
Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton
My All by Mariah Carey
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
Every Breath You Take by The Police
Oblivion by M83
Beating Heart by Ellie Goulding
Billie Jean by Michael Jackson

Sorry if this is a chicken vs. ostrich question - am not much of an audiophile but I very much appreciate good quality music devices. Have a pair of B&W 803Ds in my bedroom.

​Unless you need the NC, strongly do not recommend it. Without the NC, it was boomy and lacked treble extension. Sounded as though there was a veil over the music compared to the UE900s.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #4,269 of 4,383
​Unless you need the NC, strongly do not recommend it. Without the NC, it was boomy and lacked treble extension. Sounded as though there was a veil over the music compared to the UE900s.

Mm I love my QC15 more then the amperiors I had.

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #4,272 of 4,383
New to this forum!

Anyone care to share if they have stumbled on anything that is cheaper but isn't too far off in sound quality than the UE900s? I love UE but the price and quality are making it tough to swallow unless I find secondhands or new ones discounted steeply :)

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #4,273 of 4,383
I had the UE 900 and the upgraded UE 900s. While I loved the sound the issues were really frustrating to say the least. After searching for long time I found the Denon Music Maniac AH-C120MA to be excellent and very close to the UE 900s in terms of SQ. Unlike the name suggests they are very balanced and true. They are not as coloured as the UE 900/900s but they are richer in a way and have a great soundstage. No replaceable cable but they are bulletproof. Had mine for over a year now as a daily driver with many hours on them with zero issues. I hope it helps.

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4,274 of 4,383
New to this forum!

Anyone care to share if they have stumbled on anything that is cheaper but isn't too far off in sound quality than the UE900s? I love UE but the price and quality are making it tough to swallow unless I find secondhands or new ones discounted steeply :)

Thanks!

If you're interested in thinking of selling my UE900S with all packaging (carrying case included) minus the extra black cable (lost it) and minus 4 silicone tips (I lost em). Everything is essentially new from the comply tips to the little dispenser of the contact cleaner. I've got them new about a month ago from Amazon as a replacement to my 3+ year old UE900 and I have barely used them. They're the real UE900s. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Nov 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #4,275 of 4,383
I had the UE 900 and the upgraded UE 900s. While I loved the sound the issues were really frustrating to say the least. After searching for long time I found the Denon Music Maniac AH-C120MA to be excellent and very close to the UE 900s in terms of SQ. Unlike the name suggests they are very balanced and true. They are not as coloured as the UE 900/900s but they are richer in a way and have a great soundstage. No replaceable cable but they are bulletproof. Had mine for over a year now as a daily driver with many hours on them with zero issues. I hope it helps.

If you're interested in thinking of selling my UE900S with all packaging (carrying case included) minus the extra black cable (lost it) and minus 4 silicone tips (I lost em). Everything is essentially new from the comply tips to the little dispenser of the contact cleaner. I've got them new about a month ago from Amazon as a replacement to my 3+ year old UE900 and I have barely used them. They're the real UE900s. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks for your replies! Will PM you if I need more info :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back