Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #3,676 of 4,385
So there is still no news about when the "unibody" 900s will be coming to America? Can't wait to get them
wink.gif

the unibody are aready out in the states, il post picture later to show you

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #3,680 of 4,385
I screwed up guys! Check this out;

I received my Ue900 today. I bought the original generation (not the 900s), off of ebay new for 200. I bought a squaretrade ebay 2 yr warranty on it,  "I can at least get my money back if something happens" I thought to myself.

I was pretty sure I read on here somewhere that the black cable is a subjectively better sounding cable, so the first thing I did was begin to detach the cables from the buds. OH MY GOD those things were stubborn as h*** the first one came off ok, but the left one broke apart and of course the cable going from armatures to other piece sheared off from it. In retrospect I could have been more careful getting these stubborn guys' off. Those cables were on really fkin tight.

I am awaiting to hear back from the Seller I got them from, in the meantime because I am gonna be flying a lot, and because I am craving a decent IEM setup more than right now, I purchased a pair of Westone W30s. It sounds like the SQ has noticeably upgraded from the Westones 3s (my favorite IEM ive had in my life, right next to TF10) and has a detachable cable which I require now after spending too much money on IEMs to worry about cutting out channels etc

I am still excited to have my UE900s exchanged and look forward to having two pairs of decent iems to listen to, and compare to.

Now that I am certain how the UE900s come apart, I am going to take them apart on purpose gently, and add some nice super glue to alleviate premature seperation from factory defect, and also deoxit the cable connections and earbud cable ports.

-Zach

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #3,681 of 4,385
Just jumped on the UE 900 train! I've always loved its sound and its looks, but felt that they were priced a little too high. However, with a recent price cut, I finally decided to snag one before UE decides to halt any production/distribution; on the Singapore UE website, the UE 900 is not even featured.

Here's to a great many fun hours listening to this wonderful IEM!

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #3,682 of 4,385
Just jumped on the UE 900 train! I've always loved its sound and its looks, but felt that they were priced a little too high. However, with a recent price cut, I finally decided to snag one before UE decides to halt any production/distribution; on the Singapore UE website, the UE 900 is not even featured.

Congrats. You'll love them, just use the right tips

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,683 of 4,385

Any idea why it's no longer offered in Singapore?

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,685 of 4,385
Congrats. You'll love them, just use the right tips

Thanks!

You're right about the tips. I'm usually fine with the stock (medium) tips on most IEMs, but for the UE 900, I had to switch to a smaller tip on my left, as I couldn't get a perfect fit. This caused the sound to be somewhat growly. Weird, as I've never had this problem with any of my previous IEMs.

Anyway, it's tough getting the foam tips in place with the UE 900. It looks like there is a good few mm that I can push further. I gave up in the end, and just stuck with the silicone tips.

Any idea why it's no longer offered in Singapore?

From what I gather when speaking with the staff at my usual headphone shop, it looks like they aren't going to be restocking any UE audio products in the near future (with the exception of the UE Boom speakers). It's quite a shame, really. They had quite a good stable of quality earphones over the years. In fact, the MetroFi 220 was one of the first few earphones that started me on this Head-Fi journey.

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #3,686 of 4,385

From what I gather when speaking with the staff at my usual headphone shop, it looks like they aren't going to be restocking any UE audio products in the near future (with the exception of the UE Boom speakers). It's quite a shame, really. They had quite a good stable of quality earphones over the years. In fact, the MetroFi 220 was one of the first few earphones that started me on this Head-Fi journey.

The 900s are no longer on the Ultimate Ears Singapore website... I wonder if it will affect other countries as well. I won't be surprised though as UE killed their consumer line altogether. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #3,688 of 4,385
  Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the difference between the new UE900S and the original UE900?

I believe the sound channel is redesigned to have more bass and different indicator to shown which is the right ear.  Other than that, I don't think there is much else that is note worthy.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #3,689 of 4,385
  The 900s are no longer on the Ultimate Ears Singapore website... I wonder if it will affect other countries as well. I won't be surprised though as UE killed their consumer line altogether. 

Yeah, what a shame. With Logitech's backing, I'm sure they would have the financial muscle to stay the course. Hell, the UE 900 / 6000 / 9000 are veritable gems. I wonder what was the decision to pull out altogether (or at least take a sabbatical)? Is the market too saturated these days? Who knows. I just hope they revise their decision to exit the consumer audio market. It'll be good for us all.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3,690 of 4,385
They are not the same and they sound different, if you like the sound signature of your UE900 you maynot like the UE900s', they have more details in the highs and mid highs but less bass, even though mine looked just like the UE900.
k

Here's the official comment from UE, which was posted earlier on headfi:

"Hello,

I'm Rory, the general manager of Ultimate Ears.

We are aware of the confusion around the UE 900s earphones and wanted to provide clarification. Everyone who has purchased a pair of UE 900s earphones is being sent the correct product, which we fully stand behind in terms of robustness and reliability.

The UE 900 earphones and the UE 900s earphones are sonically identical - both are tested and measured against the exact same specification. The differences between the two earphones are the packaging and the contents within the box..."

Perhaps if people are really hearing differences between these models, it indicates something about UE quality control. Perhaps there's some inconsistency between the sound signatures of the units being shipped?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back