Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3,691 of 4,385
This is a review of Lunashops silver plated OCC wire replacement cable with a standard MMCX connector. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4456

People have polarized opinion about headphone replacement cables.  Some consider these as a "snake oil" and a waste of money, others are too vocal about it being a miracle in transforming headphones into something new.  When I approach testing of replacement cables, I try to be more realistic and tested a variety of budget cables with my W40, UE900, and ATH-IM03 IEMs.  One thing I found in common, going from a standard copper to OFC cable doesn't yield too much of an improvement, but stepping up to a silver-plated OFC cable indeed produces an audible difference.  Doesn't matter if you are a skeptic or an optimist, you are dealing with a higher purity and a higher conductivity replacement which in comparison to a standard copper wire will not introduce as much loss or filtering effect to your audio signal.  As a result, you are not really improving a sound from your original audio source, but rather bringing it closer to its original signature without degradation effect introduced by lower purity wires.

Is this a must have upgrade?  If you are dealing with a high quality hardware audio source, like a dedicated DAP and/or external amp, and high quality IEMs in $400-$500 and up to $1000+ range, I think it's a must have investment.  Once we get IEMs out of the box, the first thing we do is start with a tip rolling to find the best fitment to fine tune the sound.  If you have more expensive IEMs, sometime you have an option to change filters.  Going for a replacement cable with a higher purity wires is taking it one step further in sound improvement.  In the past year I was very impressed with replacement cables from Lunashops, especially their silver-plated cables.  Here, I would like to look at their new silver-plated 5N OCC (with OCC having an even higher purity than OFC) replacement cable with a standard MMCX connector which you can use with Westone W- or UM Pro- series, Shure SE- series, Logitech Ultimate Ears UE- series, and other IEMs that use a standard replacement cables with MMCX connector.  Keep in mind, VSonic VSD3/3S series does NOT use standard mmcx connector.  Here is what I found.

Arrived in a small flat tin box with a clear display, it was packed inside of a small ziploc bag and stored between foam inserts to make sure it doesn't get crashed or damaged during shipment.  Out of the box, the cable looks very impressive with a quality workmanship of the assembly.  You have 4 separate wires in individual clear thin shielding.  Left/Right sides of the wires are twisted in pairs and separated inside of another soft clear shielding until the y-splitter where all 4 wires are twisted together and inside of a common soft clear shielding as well.  Y-splitter is also clear with a chin slider (cable cinch) next to it.  3.5mm headphone connector is straight, slim, gold plated, and can be taken apart by unscrewing the cap for a quick access to fix it, if required.  At the other end of the cable, you have mmcx gold plated connectors inside of a slim mold.  The whole assembly looks clean and professionally done.

As I mentioned before, the cable shielding is very soft, not springy, which keeps the cable tangle free and perfect for either wired down or over the ear fitment.  For additional comfort when used over the ear, sliding cable cinch up helps keep the wires together.  Furthermore, with a soft nature of the cable, you can use it over your ears without a need for a memory wire or bulky wire guides.  The extra clear/soft shielding over the twisted wires also helps significantly with reduction of microphonics effect when cable is brushing against your cloth.  This is a very important factor because previously I was using FiiO RC-SE1 similar cable, and microphonics effect was next to unbeareable, not too mention springy effect of wires.  This Lunashops cable design solves this problem down to a very minimum cable noise, still present but at a minimum level.  So the big question, how does it sounds?  I tested it with my W40 and UE900 and found similar results.

With UE900 fitment was perfect, they snap right in and form a solid connection.  Connector housing has a good grip to attach the cable to earpieces and also to pull apart when disconnecting.  Since you don't have a memory wire anymore, I demonstrated below how it could be worn with both wire up and wire down, though for wire down you might want to swap L/R pieces for a slicker look.  Regarding the sound improvement, don't expect your quad-driver to sound like 6-BA driver, but the sound definitely gets brighter, slightly more detailed in upper mids and lower treble, and due to a brighter sound the perception of soundstage opens up as well.  The level of improvement will vary depending on source you are using where your return on investment is better using higher quality DAP in comparison to HO from your smartphone.  I do have to note that clear/silver color of the cable might not be the perfect color match for blue/black UE900 earpieces which makes cable stand out, but overall with a sound improvement, functionality improvement, and higher durability in comparison to a stock braided cable - this is a great value.

Overall, YMMV but in my personal opinion this is one worthy upgrade to try out with your headphones to push the performance of your multi-driver IEMs even further.  This will not make a sound improvement like night'n'day, but it will definitely improve your sound signature making it brighter across entire frequency range and opening up soundstange perception (I use 'perception' because you are not really changing soundstage).  This cable has an excellent build quality, feels very durable, and uses high quality wires which an improvement over any stock copper or even OFC cable.  This is not a pure silver, but silver-plated cable and it also has a higher purity of copper than OFC (OCC uses a different manufacturing process).  For $40 shipped it's a great value which is still a fraction of the price in comparison to $500-$1000 multi-drive IEMs you can use it with.  Definitely gets my recommendation!

Here are the pictures (click on pictures to expand).

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3,692 of 4,385
This is a review of Lunashops silver plated OCC wire replacement cable with a standard MMCX connector. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4456

People have polarized opinion about headphone replacement cables.  Some consider these as a "snake oil" and a waste of money,

Cable SQ upgrades = religion. Science says there's no measurable difference beyond that of a (possibly) lowered impedance. But there are those that believe in another dimension - the spirit world, or some other physical property that has simply been elusive to even the best modern scientists. I don't want to start an argument here, so this will be my one and only post on the matter, but unless you like something physical about the cable (i.e., it has a nicer appearance, better texture or flexibility, lowered microphonics, etc.), then these "upgrades" are usually a waste of money. There's a far more obvious and far cheaper method if you really want to alter the FR in ways the headphone manufacturer didn't intend. With the right motivation, our brains will detect an improvement with anything - even when given an identical pair of headphones (see my last post in this thread).

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #3,693 of 4,385
I also didn't believe it was true, but after using several different brands / cables I can hear some differences for sure.
The different cables I have for the UE900 are really different. The Thor cable is especially strong on bass. I've never heard this bass from the UE900.
Most of the time I use the Oyaide cable which is fairly identical to the FiiO SE sound wise. Built quality of the original Oyaide is better, less springy, then FiiO's interpretation.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #3,694 of 4,385
Cable SQ upgrades = religion. Science says there's no measurable difference beyond that of a (possibly) lowered impedance. But there are those that believe in another dimension - the spirit world, or some other physical property that has simply been elusive to even the best modern scientists. I don't want to start an argument here, so this will be my one and only post on the matter, but unless you like something physical about the cable (i.e., it has a nicer appearance, better texture or flexibility, lowered microphonics, etc.), then these "upgrades" are usually a waste of money. There's a far more obvious and far cheaper method if you really want to alter the FR in ways the headphone manufacturer didn't intend. With the right motivation, our brains will detect an improvement with anything - even when given an identical pair of headphones (see my last post in this thread).

I don't want to start an argument either, and respect the fact that we all have/entitled to our own opinion.  That's why we come here to Head-fi, to share our opinion
biggrin.gif
  But every time I read comments from people who argue about upgrade cable being a "snake oil", it always end up being their NEVER tried a replacement cable or tried one of those hex-something $300-$400 replacement cables that only yield a relatively small improvement.  I'm talking about $40 silver-plated OCC cable that I actually have here with me, that I tried with my UE900 and W40 IEMs and the same cable with a different connector I tried with my ATH-IM03 and it consistently improved the sound by making it noticeable brighter, slightly more detailed, and with a wider soundstage "perception", in addition to improved quality and functionality.  For a budget $50-$60 headphones, those are maybe a waste of money.  But for $400 UE900 or $500 W40 or $360 IM03, or other W60 or SE-846 models that cost close to $1k - it will be a great investment.

Also, the only science behind the cable is how it's being manufactured.  Cable itself is a filter.  Do you want less filtering, you get cable with more purity.  There is NO WAY a passive piece of wire going to enhance a sound, anybody who would state that is nuts lol!!!  Purity of wire will "restore" the sound, as simple as that.  The improvement could be VERY little and not worth if you are spending for a cable 50%-100% of the actual headphone price.  But 10% or less of the headphone price for replacement cable with a small sound improvement is worth it, IMHO
wink.gif
  As a matter of fact, I have other lunashops wires I use with my ATH-IM03 and IM50 and some silver-plated OFC (not OCC) with mic-remote for $25 sound as good (similar level of improvement) as these audio only $40 silver-plated OCC.

Not preaching here, just sharing with you guys.  Just another review among dozens I post on head-fi!!!

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #3,695 of 4,385
That is most odd, as I tested them side by side doing A and B tests and they sounded very different.

Here's the official comment from UE, which was posted earlier on headfi:

"Hello,

I'm Rory, the general manager of Ultimate Ears.

We are aware of the confusion around the UE 900s earphones and wanted to provide clarification. Everyone who has purchased a pair of UE 900s earphones is being sent the correct product, which we fully stand behind in terms of robustness and reliability.

The UE 900 earphones and the UE 900s earphones are sonically identical - both are tested and measured against the exact same specification. The differences between the two earphones are the packaging and the contents within the box..."

Perhaps if people are really hearing differences between these models, it indicates something about UE quality control. Perhaps there's some inconsistency between the sound signatures of the units being shipped?

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #3,696 of 4,385
Speaking of cables, I'm having issues using both stock cables. The memory wire is impossible to shape, and there are 2 moving points - the MMCX connector, and the point where the actual wire meets the strain relief. I'm already not a fan of memory wire, and UE's implementation makes putting the UE 900s on quite a hassle.

I'm thinking of either ordering a cable or cutting out the memory wire altogether. I don't know if the latter would help, as I'm afraid that cable would be too rigid to bend over my ears (unlike the Westone cables).

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #3,697 of 4,385
  Speaking of cables, I'm having issues using both stock cables. The memory wire is impossible to shape, and there are 2 moving points - the MMCX connector, and the point where the actual wire meets the strain relief. I'm already not a fan of memory wire, and UE's implementation makes putting the UE 900s on quite a hassle.

I'm thinking of either ordering a cable or cutting out the memory wire altogether. I don't know if the latter would help, as I'm afraid that cable would be too rigid to bend over my ears (unlike the Westone cables). 

You could go to Stereo or Jaben and try Westone's MMCX cable. Not sure whether it will fit or not since there have been people saying westone's integration of MMCX is different as compared to other manufacturers.

Here's a close up of the MMCX connector of a W series cable.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,698 of 4,385
  You could go to Stereo or Jaben and try Westone's MMCX cable. Not sure whether it will fit or not since there have been people saying westone's integration of MMCX is different as compared to other manufacturers.

Did you read my review above? :wink: I tested ue900 and w40 with the same cable, it's a universal connection. The only company with a custom mmcx connector is VSonic with their vsd3 and vsd3s headphones. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,699 of 4,385
  Did you read my review above? :wink: I tested ue900 and w40 with the same cable, it's a universal connection. The only company with a custom mmcx connector is VSonic with their vsd3 and vsd3s headphones. 

I see, didn't read the WOT. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #3,700 of 4,385

Yeah, I might actually get one, if my frustrations with the current stock cables continue. The Westone Epic cable is soft enough to bend/wrap around without much issues. I just think the cable tends to unravel pretty easily.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #3,703 of 4,385
I love the ue900 with the sony hybrid tips. They make the ue900 much clearer and intimate,which reduced the hollowness in the the sound and the unengaging lower vocal presentation. I think people who are not happy with the sound should try them out.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #3,704 of 4,385
Had a pair of UE900 arrive today. I find them to sound quite different on my sources, more than just a little.

Sony NWZ-F806 - almost no bass.
Sony NWZ-Z1050 - ok, but rather vieled.
iRiver E100 - very good.

They must have some wild impedance curve to be reacting like this. Has anyone else found these kind of obvious differences between sources?

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,705 of 4,385
I have also found them very source dependent, they sound fantastic on the e12diy, and have found the baldur m3 cable has turned them into incredible iem's

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251390052177&alt=web

Users who are viewing this thread

Back