Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #286 of 4,383
With the inevitable price plummets, and Logitech often giving me 50% codes I'll be interested to see how these turn out. Even if the fit is as bad as the TF10's you'll hopefully have something excellent to reshell.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #287 of 4,383
Quote:
With the inevitable price plummets, and Logitech often giving me 50% codes I'll be interested to see how these turn out. Even if the fit is as bad as the TF10's you'll hopefully have something excellent to reshell.

I'm not expecting bad fit with this at all...  From the looks of it, the shape is very ergnonomic (I can't spell). 

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #288 of 4,383
Quote:
Well I don't think it's a gimmick so much as a way of tuning the earphones more finely. I don't know what it has to do with separation, etc. but I notice on my TF10s that the filters on the two bores are different colors; my assumption would be that they are different filters for the upper registers and the bass, or the lower and the treble.

Quote:
2 or more bores coming away from individual drivers makes sense but how many end up at the end and where/if they join is the issue. I'm sure either combined before the tip or seperate at the tip can work if tuned for it.

(-_-) doh... I just bought my Westone W4 last weekend and I thought that this is the best money can buy for 4 driver BA. 
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #290 of 4,383

I'm not expecting bad fit with this at all...  From the looks of it, the shape is very ergnonomic (I can't spell). 

They look more sporty and compact but still rather large with a big nozzle.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #291 of 4,383
Quote:
They look more sporty and compact but still rather large with a big nozzle.

Large nozzle doens't make it uncomfortable.  The large size doesn't either.  The Aurisonics ASG-1 is probably the biggest universal I've put on.  It's pretty comfortable once you set up the same fit.  By the pictures UE presents, this model will be a lot smaller.  The shape looks a lot more flush with the ear as well.  I'll comment on comfort when I get them this week though :)

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #292 of 4,383
Quote:

+1 The bore thickness and length can have different resonant frequencies that can fine tune a sound a bit as well.  There are other things as well obviously. 

I would rather get the most comfortable fit and then tune the sound with EQ.  I've had excellent results this way with anything from the 2mm Ety MC5 to ER-4P to the 4mm (and $10) SHE3580.  I just wish EQ and DSP were better supported in portable devices.  I wish for a new standard where a phone's and a listener's custom EQ fit for his ear can be written on a memory chip embedded mounted alongside the headphone jack and gets inserted into devices alongside the jack, and its info is read and applied automatically.  For a camera analogy, it's like headphone audio is stuck in the age of manual focus lenses, and I'm wishing for the age of electronic autofocus lenses and automatic lens correction to come.  It would make correcting aberrations (resonance-induced FR anamolies) much easier and much more economical and eliminate the comfort tradeoffs you see with stuff like this dual bore design.  Much like correcting optical aberrations digitally make for cheaper and lighter lenses.  Except with IEMs it would even be possible to make corrections to an extent not possible mechanically.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #293 of 4,383
Well see about fit within the week as I get to test them :) as for EQung. I was never a fan of it. I certainly see why some are, but personally I'm not. I've explained why many times, so I don't want to do it again XD the fact that I run an iPod doesn't help either. Even though I have the EQu app, I still don't like EQing. That's just me though.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #294 of 4,383
Quote:

Quote:

From Westone who can explain better than I...
Dual Bore
Typically, multi-driver in-ear monitors have a single-bored sound port, meaning the output from each driver will acoustically sum inside the earpiece housing. With Westone's Dual Bore technology, the high and low frequency sound components are individually channeled through two passages in the sound port. This allows high and low frequency material to sum within the ear canal, emulating the more natural phenomenon of live acoustic summation. The result is a more convincing transition between frequency ranges and is audibly more natural.

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dafuq?  I didn't know I had two tubes sticking in my ear piping low and high freqs when listening to live music
blink.gif

Well, now you know.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #295 of 4,383
I really don't know why your all worrying about fit. The TF10 had a large nozzle and housing which pretty much went directly into your ear. This is completley different. It is like a universal custom and these therefore rotate into you ear like a full custom. This is extremely comoftable and for most people this will be close to a full custom fit without all the contours of your ear detailed.

Just because ultimate ears produced a bad fitting earphone in the past until proven other wise, fit is not something to worry about. TF10 was 6 years ago and before Logitech had anything to do with things.

I'm not saying its guarnteed great comfort but just no one has said anything bad about comfort of the few owners of it.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #296 of 4,383
Unlike the TF10, which is horrible to fit, I don't think the UE900 will have fit issues either. Basically it's just quite similar to the Westone/Shure UIEMs and those are known to be easy to fit and comfort.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #297 of 4,383
Some fairly wild claims in this thread - I had previously thought that the title of 'Best Eva Universal IEM' was between the Fitears ToGo 334 and the AKG K3003 ? Both of which cost considerably more than the MSRP I saw in the OP. I know it doesnt always come down to sticker price, but we've all read the same reviews and impressions. I guess we need a truly heroic Head-Fier to dash out and buy all 3.   
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #298 of 4,383
In my world if it doesnt have Removable Cable it is not worth high dollars. No matter how good the K3003 sounds I will not buy it in that price simply because of the lack of RC.

RC gives the user the peace of mind that if the cable is damaged they can always it without needing to send it to the company. Especially considering the high labour cost last thing one needs is to damaged their expensive audio gear while they are out of warranty. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #299 of 4,383
Quote:

Quote:

From Westone who can explain better than I...
Dual Bore
Typically, multi-driver in-ear monitors have a single-bored sound port, meaning the output from each driver will acoustically sum inside the earpiece housing. With Westone's Dual Bore technology, the high and low frequency sound components are individually channeled through two passages in the sound port. This allows high and low frequency material to sum within the ear canal, emulating the more natural phenomenon of live acoustic summation. The result is a more convincing transition between frequency ranges and is audibly more natural.

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dafuq?  I didn't know I had two tubes sticking in my ear piping low and high freqs when listening to live music
blink.gif

Well, now you know.

"And knowing is just half the battle." - GI Joe!

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #300 of 4,383
Quote:
In my world if it doesnt have Removable Cable it is not worth high dollars. No matter how good the K3003 sounds I will not buy it in that price simply because of the lack of RC.

RC gives the user the peace of mind that if the cable is damaged they can always it without needing to send it to the company. Especially considering the high labour cost last thing one needs is to damaged their expensive audio gear while they are out of warranty. 

Lovely argument that, when cables can cost half a new pair of high end iems, the connectors are themselves points of failure (I should know, the socket on my ER-4P came off with the plug...), and the IEMs themselves can fail for any number of reasons (I should know, the etys broke 4 times on me, none of them cable-related failure and once caused by the removable cable design (again, the socket coming off...)
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back