Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #2,251 of 4,383
  Received my UE900 today but I'm having issues with the blue VI cable; the sound cuts out when fiddling with the plug. When I use the black audio only cable the audio is perfect.

Are my earphones defective?

I have the exact same problem.. you're not alone! I still feel the blue cable produces a better sound.. i have no answers other then buying another cable... 

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2,252 of 4,383
Today, I would like to say rip to my ue900, it was unfortunately ran over by my car, I was searching everywhere for it, but it ended up on the pavement of my drive way RIP 9/12/13 UE900 I'm in tears ;(......

No more iems for me, don't want anoth tragic event like this to happen to me, headphones forever now

How the heck did it end up on your driveway pavement?? 
confused.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2,254 of 4,383
  Is it worth it asking for a warranty replacement so soon?

I recently went through the RA replacement process for my UE900. This is obviously a known problem for this earphone and you should ask for a replacement from a later batch. I actually got a full exchange from my retailer for something else because I do not want to have the same issue arise a few months later, or worse yet have the plastic shells simply fall apart on me.

I honestly find it INCREDIBLY disappointing that these earphones have this problem, that the management at Logitech KNOWS that they have this problem (it's been confirmed in Amazon reviews that upper management at UE monitors the reviews and responds to them) and yet there are bad earphones still floating around in retail channels with no official recall or response.

This is absolutely shocking given the cost of the earphone. You would think that with these problems, Logitech would, at the very least, issue an official response: all UE900's from batch number XXXX are fine. Not a peep.

I made a big deal about this in my review of the UE 900 but now I honestly think even talking about the sound of this earphone is an unfair endorsement given the quality control of this earphone. No matter how good it sounds, I would never buy an earphone after reading through a thread with comments like this.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #2,255 of 4,383
I had cut out issues also but not sure if I should RMA because since changing to the black cables and then now back again to the blue ones it hasn't ever cut out again.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2,256 of 4,383
You should always try to clean the connectors before jumping to any conclusions. But it's a shame that so many have issues with these iems. Really shouldn't be a problem considering the price. I actually don't think that having the management searching for bad reviews and offering to correct the errors, by itself a bad thing. The ugly part is that they don't say anything official about bad ones from the same batch.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #2,257 of 4,383
I think it's a good thing if management is looking at this reviews and stepping up to correct them. But its a problem when a pattern has emerged and there is no direct action to solve the issue outside of relying on customers to step forward and complain.

You'll note that there are a number of those Amazon reviews which complain about the issue returning after cleaning the connectors. This is obviously some kind of oxidisation issue which means that the wrong materials were chosen for the connectors.

This is a $300-$400 earphone and this is not an issue that was difficult to anticipate. The issue with the shells being a point of failure is also very disturbing given that warranty will generally NOT cover this kind of failure unless there is a recognition from the company that this was is a design fault.

Maybe I am beating a dead horse and there are many happy UE 900 owners in this thread, but I think this is poor form from UE.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #2,258 of 4,383
I imagine it's the stupid connectors as shure has/had been plagued by the same issue when the se215 was released way back.  If you have a look through that thread at the time most people were reporting issues then as well (myself included). 

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #2,259 of 4,383

I recently went through the RA replacement process for my UE900. This is obviously a known problem for this earphone and you should ask for a replacement from a later batch. I actually got a full exchange from my retailer for something else because I do not want to have the same issue arise a few months later, or worse yet have the plastic shells simply fall apart on me.

I honestly find it INCREDIBLY disappointing that these earphones have this problem, that the management at Logitech KNOWS that they have this problem (it's been confirmed in Amazon reviews that upper management at UE monitors the reviews and responds to them) and yet there are bad earphones still floating around in retail channels with no official recall or response.

This is absolutely shocking given the cost of the earphone. You would think that with these problems, Logitech would, at the very least, issue an official response: all UE900's from batch number XXXX are fine. Not a peep.

I made a big deal about this in my review of the UE 900 but now I honestly think even talking about the sound of this earphone is an unfair endorsement given the quality control of this earphone. No matter how good it sounds, I would never buy an earphone after reading through a thread with comments like this.

Holy.... 350$ (where I live) earphones with these problems? That kinda sucks cuz I was thinking of buying a pair of these as an upgrade to my FXT90s. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #2,260 of 4,383
Just buy them from somewhere that has a decent returns (amazon etc) and you won't have any problems.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,261 of 4,383
The latest batch have the same problem. I would say its worst or maybe just different. The older batch happen with some time but the latest batch dose it right away with the blue cabel but when you switch to black its gone it could be a compatible issue with the iPhone sense it didn't do this with my windows phone

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #2,262 of 4,383
The latest batch have the same problem. I would say its worst or maybe just different. The older batch happen with some time but the latest batch dose it right away with the blue cabel but when you switch to black its gone it could be a compatible issue with the iPhone sense it didn't do this with my windows phone

I guess I won't be buying them, as I currently use an iPhone. Are you sure it's related to phone compatibility, since the blue ones are the one with the remote.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2,263 of 4,383

I guess I won't be buying them, as I currently use an iPhone. Are you sure it's related to phone compatibility, since the blue ones are the one with the remote.

The UE 900 is MFi certified, so it's definitely NOT an issue related to compatibility issues with the iPhone.  I do believe that it still is something in the connection between the socket that connects the IEM to the housings. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,265 of 4,383
  do we have a UE rep on Headfi?, i wanna know if i can get some kind of deal with UE, so i can replace my ue 900s D:

http://www.head-fi.org/ultimate-ears

Mike Dias seems to be an "Industry Insider" (possibly for UE, maybe others).  CEE TEE seems to be the Ultimate Ears Sponsor for Head-Fi.  Good luck getting a replacement. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back