Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,281 of 4,383
@a recording dose your pair has a red filter in the large bore or do you even see anything red at all in there? If not then they must be at the very least trying to correct to issue. If you do have red filter then I have a defective pair again...but then idk it did say tested on the gray cap that cover the end part of the wire

I never saw anything red in the bore... though I wasn't really looking. I don't have my pair now anymore but if you watch my review video you should be able to see something if it's there...

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,282 of 4,383
Hmm maybe they got rid of it for some reason. The connecter's are also a darker shade of gold from the older patch and the left right marking on the wire dose not disappear like before however the left right mark on the 900 where gone with in a few days which did not happen before. this defeats purpose of fixing the issue with the marking of the wire. What's the link to your video review so I can confirm these changes in your pair

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #2,284 of 4,383
  My pair was from batch 1425 and still had issues.

How do you find the batch?

Logitech are sending me a new blue vi cable.

I tested my faulty vi cable with my shure se215 and se535 and it cuts out too when fiddling with the plug, so does this mean the cable is definitely at fault?

The stock shure teflon cables are much much better.

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2,287 of 4,383
The UE900 has issues because its cable plugs are made of silver instead of gold. Bad idea by Logitech...

Nickel, not silver. And nickel playing doesn't go bad that quickly... It's something else that's the issue.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,288 of 4,383
UE and Shure have both had issues with this connector style. I am at the point where I thinking it's a design flaw of the jack itself.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #2,290 of 4,383
My blue cable started to fail, I just switch to the black one after 2 months use.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,291 of 4,383
Well, I'm experiencing the audio cutting out of my left driver on my 1-week old UE900s despite which cable I use.  I've tried re-connecting the ear bud several times, and so far no luck.

Just logged a ticket with Logitech, as I couldn't get through their 646-454-3200 number for some reason.

My 3.5mm jack has 13 (on top) and 27 (on bottom).

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,292 of 4,383
I just received my new Westone 4Rs.

1. They seem more solid than the UE900s.
2. They fit better than the UE 900s. I was able to twist the memory plastic, and it maintained the shape. This was one of the most annoying things about the UE900s. I was constantly fiddling with the memory plastic, trying to get it to stay behind my ears. Putting the UE900s in my ears was a chore. The Westones went in with a perfect fit in seconds.
3. I love the sound. I'm no audiophile, so the subtle differences are a bit out of my league. But the sound is in the same league as the UE900s, and that is good enough for me.
4. I prefer the Westone foam eartips to the Comply eartips I had for my UE900s. Not sure how they will hold up over time, but the Complys would fall apart after about 3 weeks. Even if these do the same, these are cheaper. I will also try to make my own from ear stopples, which I used to do with my beloved Triplefis, but couldn't really do with the UE900s, because they would not stay on for some reason.
5. Thank the heavens for the old-school cable connectors! I loved this connector on my Triplefis, and as mentioned above, I suspect all the audio cutout problems in the UE900s (and the various Shures) are because of that worthless new connector.

The only negative I see is that it doesn't have a control mechanism for my iPod, but I can live without that.

I swore off Shure forever after they refused to honor their lifetime warranty on the SE500s (long story). I won't swear off UE/Logitech for the UE900 sin, as they also gave me my much-mourned lost Triplefis, but I will wait to see reviews and experiences before buying another of their products in the future. The way they've handled the UE900 fiasco does not warm my cockles, despite their excellent customer service.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2,293 of 4,383
Forgive me for my lack of ability to accurately describe what I'm experiencing (I'm sure I won't use the proper terminology)

I just upgraded from the TF10s to the UE 900. The fit is OK, the sound is detailed and clear, the bass level is totally acceptable, but there's two problems I have with them:

1. The treble sparkle is greatly reduced on the UE 900. I'm a treble junky and really like the detailed, bright sound of Grados, and the triple.fis were fantastic as well (I only upgraded because one of the drivers is dying). These sound far too flat for my tastes, and I end up EQing the treble back in, which works well enough.

2. I don't know what it is, maybe it's that the mids are more prominent, but they sound bloated, loud, to the point where it actually hurts my ears! I can't listen to piano tracks like "Death and All His Friends" or "Atlas" by Coldplay without the piano sounding really booming, not without turning the volume way down, but then I can't hear all the other stuff that I really enjoy. Am I just listening too loud? Will this go away with burn-in?

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,294 of 4,383
I think your ears over time will adjust to the sound signature. Coming from the TF10, your used to a V shaped sound signature. What you're describing is forward sounding mids with the UE900. After some time, if you can't get on with the UE900 sound sig, give the Westone 3 a try. Similar sound sig as the TF10.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2,295 of 4,383
If anything is loud enough to actually make your ears fatigued or hurt, it's too loud...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back