Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro review
May 25, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 101
May 26, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #17 of 101
Excellent write-up gorman. Sounds like you really like your new canal phones. It's always great to read about proof positive about whether or not the next step in cans are worth the extra money. Many question whether or not the Stax Omega II is worth the extra money over the dynamic cans. The UE-10 Pro is another in that category. Is it worth nearly $1000 to get something you can never return or resell? I guess your answer is a resounding YES.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #18 of 101
Oooh...I've been quoted ! I'm honoured sir. (And with your last purchase, you've certainly earned the right to use it !
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 26, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 101
Gorman or Welly Wu, please download this song and listen it with ue10pro. And tell us your opinion! I have packed wave file to last rar archive.
http://www.player.ru/Track11.rar

The voice flows as viscous oil, violoncelloes plays perfectly, drum creates extra low frequencies...So you need to listen to it!

May 28, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 101
What are the requisites for one's review to appear in the Featured Full Reviews of Headphone section? I noticed Welly Wu's is already there, even though it's been posted later than this.
If the moderators think my review is bad I would like some explanation, so as to be able to do better next time.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #22 of 101
Gorman...

...this is an excellent review, and you surely get my vote for the transfer to the Featered Full Reviews section.

peacesign.gif

May 28, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #23 of 101
But it's a matter of getting votes or somebody's decision. How does it work? Pardon my ignorance...

May 28, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #24 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
But it's a matter of getting votes or somebody's decision. How does it work? Pardon my ignorance...

Gorman:

Send a PM to John_JCB. That is how I got my two reviews into the archives.

May 28, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 101
Wow, I'm amazed at some of the bold pioneers coming out of the woodwork.

After deciding I was going to try to upgrade from my E3's, I actually considered a custom IEM...however the cost is too high and the lack of resale ability kicked me down to the "lowly" E5.

One question....the current consensus is that these are great canalphones. But how do they measure up against some of the full size standards (Grado 225, Senn 600/650, etc.)?

Are they actually a better listening experience than the mid-level full size cans?.....or are they just impressively awesome for a canalphone?

My apologies if this has been covered already....

May 28, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #26 of 101
The level of clarity and details on these canalphones are much better than traditional headphones. Partially due to the isolation, partially just because the driver is able to reproduce finer detail. I think the level of detail might only be rivaled by electrostatic headphones, but I never tried a electrostatic, so I can't say that for sure.

I can say for certain, out of all the traditional dynamic headphone I've tried... nothing comes close. You do spend a huge amount of premium for the miniaturization though.

On these multi-driver canalphones, even the sound spectrum reproduction is fulfilled, unlike the single driver canalphones. So that's not a problem either.

The only thing that full-size headphone will still, and probably always, have an advantage over these canalphones, is the soundstage. You just can't get that soundstage "outside of your head". However, it's an effect that I've gotten quite used to, and makes next to no difference to me now.

May 28, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #27 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Wow, I'm amazed at some of the bold pioneers coming out of the woodwork.

After deciding I was going to try to upgrade from my E3's, I actually considered a custom IEM...however the cost is too high and the lack of resale ability kicked me down to the "lowly" E5.

One question....the current consensus is that these are great canalphones. But how do they measure up against some of the full size standards (Grado 225, Senn 600/650, etc.)?

Are they actually a better listening experience than the mid-level full size cans?.....or are they just impressively awesome for a canalphone?

My apologies if this has been covered already....

These custom IEMs are impressive feats of technological and engineering feats. They sound great as earphones and they are superior to all of the headphones that I have tried thus far. Soundstage is different but since the human mind can adapt to virtually any stimuli it does not make a difference anymore to me either. I still appreciate the music itself.

May 28, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #28 of 101
One curious thing....there had been a newer forum member (can't recall the name) who had claimed owning several IEM's pretty much encompassing all the models that have been discussed here. One thing I recall was the individuals's statement that the IEM's owned were used for work, and when on airplanes or walking....but that casual home listening was done on speakers or something else.

This type of statement led me to believe (perhaps falsely) that though these things are good, they are not the "end all" for the critical listener. I don't doubt your guys' comments/reviews...but if something were this good, I would never be happy with anything else. Sell the speakers, headphones, and everything else.....

......maybe keep one set of cans in case of ear infections.
biggrin.gif

P.S.-Also I have to say, them things are ugly little buggers on the working end....
tongue.gif

May 28, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #29 of 101
I think you're thinking about HRA.. he's a professional musician, so he does own several pair of IEM's.. and he has them primarily for work reasons... and does some portable listening on them.

I don't think IEM's are an end-all solution, but they fill a very high-end niche. You can't get more portable *and* more hi-fi than IEM's, keyword being "and".

Of course there will always be bigger, more expensive, even better solutions. I haven't gotten a taste of any electrostatic headphones yet, but for headphones under $1000 range, I haven't heard anything better at revealing details than certain IEM's.

Again, there's still a trade-off with soundstage, which is the reason why they're still not "perfect".

May 28, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #30 of 101
And then... and then comes multichannel, hi-res audio. Which headphones will never be able to replicate (because, unfortunately, very little is produced in binaural). So, I won't be throwing away my speakers anytime soon.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back