Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
Jun 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #106 of 213
I'm quite glad the tuning boxes aren't available here in Singapore; I'm sure I'll find a way to justify this purchase if they were. $2000 is quite a lot to pay for a CIEM, but the novelty and allure of tuning the sound to match your preference(s) is very appealing.... I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time tuning the bass knob. :wink:

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #107 of 213
You can tune the center in the hardware?  Welp, there goes 2 grand and a trip to LA.

My biggest issue with portable listening is lack of balance controls.  My hearing is in the 99% percentile for my age, but I too have a 5 decibel difference in low frequencies in my left ear compared to right.  

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #108 of 213
Quote:
I'm quite glad the tuning boxes aren't available here in Singapore; I'm sure I'll find a way to justify this purchase if they were. $2000 is quite a lot to pay for a CIEM, but the novelty and allure of tuning the sound to match your preference(s) is very appealing.... I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time tuning the bass knob. :wink:

Now I'm starting to wonder if we can also tune things like soundstage or bass depth, etc.

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #109 of 213
Quote:
Now I'm starting to wonder if we can also tune things like soundstage or bass depth, etc.

+$1000 for that. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #110 of 213
Quote:
Hi there, I heard these today at the NYC Head-fi meet. They are very nice. I strongly encourage UE to sell these in a standard fixed tuning as well as the custom resistance set-up.
Even without the custom resistance personal tuning (set at 50 50 50 if you see what I mean) the 5-driver set up is a very nice improvement on the the IERM.
You'll get a lot of business.

I am very support to this statement! I really hope that this 5 drivers UEPRM can replace the current UERM, UE could abandoned the 3 drivers UERM.

Producing the 5 drivers UERM into two items, one with tuning box, and the other one without tuning box and cooperate again with Capitol Studio!

Edit: Personally i don't think tuning box is great cause it becomes a very personal CIEMs... thus, very hard to sell it as second hand item cause it requires for tuning again for different person. So, how UE charges if tuned by 2nd owner?

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #112 of 213
Quote:
Quote:
Hi there, I heard these today at the NYC Head-fi meet. They are very nice. I strongly encourage UE to sell these in a standard fixed tuning as well as the custom resistance set-up.
Even without the custom resistance personal tuning (set at 50 50 50 if you see what I mean) the 5-driver set up is a very nice improvement on the the IERM.
You'll get a lot of business.

I am very support to this statement! I really hope that this 5 drivers UEPRM can replace the current UERM, UE could abandoned the 3 drivers UERM.

Producing the 5 drivers UERM into two items, one with tuning box, and the other one without tuning box and cooperate again with Capitol Studio!

Edit: Personally i don't think tuning box is great cause it becomes a very personal CIEMs... thus, very hard to sell it as second hand item cause it requires for tuning again for different person. So, how UE charges if tuned by 2nd owner?

i don't think ue wants a second hand market for their customs..

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #114 of 213
Quote:
Any thoughts on how the demo units at the NYC event compared to the UERM's?

The UE rep there even admitted the 5-driver was better than the UE IERM.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #115 of 213
Having been to an audiologist about ten years ago, I've learned that my hearing has probably suffered more than the usual falloff for someone my age at 6000hz and above. I'm curious to know if these (or any) in ear phones can double as a hearing aid?
With a full report of the test results from an audiologist, could these "ears" be crafted to both adjust for my hearing loss in listening to music as well as serve as a general hearing aid?

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #117 of 213
Man, I really do enjoy my UERM's... I've been switching back and forth between UE 18 Pros and UREM's for a few weeks now. Both have their strengths, but if I absolutely had to pick one, it would be UERM.

But now apparently these are better... Even if they are tuned to be completely neutral huh? I wonder if these can present the same amazing sound stage of the UERM's. Then I would be seriously interested in selling all of my customs and going for these.

When is the next Bay Area meet and is UE coming?!

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #119 of 213
Totally Agreed! UE, please sell them with and without tuning box.

popcorn.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #120 of 213
How "custom" is the custom fitting?  I have been doing competitive brazilian jiu jitsu for years, and have bad cauliflower on both ears, at least one ear canal is a little smaller than normal.  Anyone who go through the custom fit comment on if there is any hope for me with custom monitors like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back