Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Aug 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #196 of 733
Quote:
nice! wish had a pair. currently using the UE triple fi 10, loving it; )

The IERM is nothing like the TF10, that would be the UE18!

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #197 of 733
Since I got them last saterday my left ear has been hurting upon the first insertion. It was a bit more of a hassle to get it right the first time then I expected. The right side is much more hassle free and more important painless also it feels much more loose but without breaking seal. What do you guy's think? Could I have overstreched my ear that first time and should I just wait a couple of days and not wear the UERM's to let the pain go away? Or should I go for a refit? I know these are not specific UERM questions so my apologys for spamming

Give them time. They stop hurting after awhile. When you insert, it helps if you twist them while inserting. I had pain for 2 or 3 weeks.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #198 of 733
They don't always stop hurting. I had my impressions done by UE and one side still didn't fit quite right and actually caused bleeding to a minor extent. I noted the contact area and sent it in for a refit. No problems at all since.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #199 of 733
@Maxlava, I finally found the issue. They trimmed down my left earspiece way to short on the outside. Resulting in a connector that is poking against the helix of my ear. I tested it by removing the cable and the binding posts on the earpiece almost dissapeared right into my ear. It is a total miracle that I could get a air seal at all. I emailed my dealer and requested for a refit. Awaiting his response right now.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #200 of 733
Hey guys, I've had my UE10s for around ten days now and feel slight discomfort in my right outer ear (directly beneath the fossa triangularis, upper part of the concha). It is as if the body of the unit presses against the root of the concha hence causing irritation. I'm still in the 30day-refit period. The problem is, I am not quite sure if a refit can better the situation, because the overall fit is superb still.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #201 of 733
^I had a "dull" sort of pain about a week in after trying to wear them and get used to them.

So I gave myself a couple days "rest" and then didn't have the "ache" again.  If you have been trying to wear them every day leading up to 10 days and this is new- you might take a 1-2 day break and then start wearing them again?

Mine now do feel "full" but don't make anything "ache" after that first issue.

Just got the BLOX TM7 earbuds (non-isolating) and they are pretty big...getting that dull ache again but in both ears. Gonna see if my ears burn-in.  
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #202 of 733
Picked mine up this morning from UE in Irvine. Fit seems about perfect. First thing I listened to was a 96/24 AIFF file of "Under the Wire" by Jerry Douglas (ripped from a brand new vinyl copy), using my desktop system (MacBook Pro running Amarra in cache mode, Ayre QB-9, Luxman P-200).

Wow. More detailed comments to follow as I get more time with them and try them with my other gear.

Question: has anyone found a padded soft pouch they are happy with? The big metal case is cool but impractical. I'm looking at a pouch from Tom Bihn as a possibility, but if there is something good that I can get at REI or Sport Chalet instead of having to order it that would be preferable.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #203 of 733
I like the Westone clam shell case.  It's roomy enough to fit a pair of customs with an aftermarket cable, and it has a pocket for a wax cleaner and moisture absorption pack.  It's compact enough to fit in a pocket, and should be sturdy enough to withstand some crushing or dropping.

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #204 of 733
Quote:
I like the Westone clam shell case.  It's roomy enough to fit a pair of customs with an aftermarket cable, and it has a pocket for a wax cleaner and moisture absorption pack.  It's compact enough to fit in a pocket, and should be sturdy enough to withstand some crushing or dropping.

Good recco.  I tried it (the UERMs are supplanting a set of Westone 4s, so I have the Westone case on hand), but it was a little snug for my liking.  I found a similar but slightly larger case that was designed for compact digital cameras, the LowePro Santiago 20, that I'm happy with. I also like that the LowePro case says "$100 camera" to potential thieves, rather than "$500 headphones."

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #205 of 733
Try Pelican case 1010.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #206 of 733
Hi, I have a question. At the moment I am using a Fiio E6 amp with my UERM's in combination with a Lod and iphone 4. I am positively suppriced by the sound kwality produced by this combo, but the E6 lacks a refined volume controle for a Iem this sensitive. What kind of amp would you guys reccomend me? Would a Fiio E11 satisfy me or should I go more highend with the RSA shadow or Pico slim? Another option I am concidering is to get me a Audioquest dragon fly for at home and in the office and keep using my E6 for on the go. What are your ideas about this?

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #207 of 733
Hi, I have a question. At the moment I am using a Fiio E6 amp with my UERM's in combination with a Lod and iphone 4. I am positively suppriced by the sound kwality produced by this combo, but the E6 lacks a refined volume controle for a Iem this sensitive. What kind of amp would you guys reccomend me? Would a Fiio E11 satisfy me or should I go more highend with the RSA shadow or Pico slim? Another option I am concidering is to get me a Audioquest dragon fly for at home and in the office and keep using my E6 for on the go. What are your ideas about this?

You're definitely on the right track.

I'm not familiar with the Pico Slim or the E11, but I have used my UERMs with a Dragonfly and there's lots of synergy there. I've owned a Hornet and a Predator in the past, and was happy using them with Triple-Fis, but I frankly don't think Ray's entry-level amps have enough refinement to work well with the UERM.

My current portable amp is the ALO The National, and I think you might like it with the UERM. It's voiced for "fun" rather than neutrality and ultimate resolution, but I don't have any issues with that in a portable amp that I use mostly on airplanes and in the gym.

If you're in SoCal, I would be happy to hook up and let you spend some time with my National. PM me if you're interested.

Or go to Can Jam @ RMAF.:D

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #208 of 733
Quote:

I haven't heard either Fiio, so I can't say how the E11 performs.  I added source matching with an iPhone 4S and various amps that you can check out. I would recommend the Stepdance (or newer version) and if not for the interference with the iPhone, I would recommend the Arrow 4G.  Let me know if you have questions.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #209 of 733
Hi thx for the replys. I am from the Netherlands so borrowing equipmend is not really a viable option I guess, neither is Canjam :frowning2: yesterday my Fiio Lod broke so I ended up ordering a new Lod and the E11. The E11 is only 70 euros over here and that is a bargain concidering the UERMs go for a wopping 1100 euros over here ( 1 dollar equals 0.80 euros atm). In the mean time I will ponder some more about getting a better amp or something like the fostex or a dragonfly

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #210 of 733
@Average Joe, I see that stepdance is a german company (next to the the netherlands) so that is convenient for me. But do you have any idea about the running time of the stepdance on one of those 9V batterys? I am sort of concerned that I will end up buying 5 of them a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back