Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
May 19, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #181 of 733
Quote:
I wonder if there's anyone who owns both the UERM as well as the DX100?
bigsmile_face.gif

I have this combo now ant the DX100 works well with the UERM, better than directly out of the 801 (even with the GAME card).  The DX100 is fairly close to the Anedio D1 DAC that I have with minor differences in sound signature (the D1 is brighter and a bit more 3D with the UERM), but overall the DX100 performs quite well.  For the price, I am quite impressed with the RoCoo BA, the first Hisoundaudio product that really gets the sound right from all aspects.  It is brighter than the DX100, doesn't have the detail or as much bass weight and isn't as smooth, but for 1/3rd the price it doesn't lag too far behind.  

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #182 of 733
Ive been enjoying my UERM's for a couple weeks now.  I just got the Fostex HP-P1 and the combo is stellar.  Great detail and GREAT soundstage.  I've also ordered the iBasso D7 Sidewinder for laptop use, so I'm looking forward to trying out that combination.

Any idea if the UERM's would benefit from any break in?  Would recabling improve matters at all (not that I am disappointed right now, just curious).

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #183 of 733
Does UE reshell? I have an old pair of UE-10s and I'm curious if they do... :frowning2:?

By the way, does anyone here know what can match the UE-10 that's around $500 today? Is there such a thing or am I better off keeping the UE? Basically reshelling + my cost of buying the UE's are costing me $500. I'm curious to know if I should keep these or rather get a new pair of customs with a $500 budget... Help?

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #185 of 733

Quote:
Ive been enjoying my UERM's for a couple weeks now.  I just got the Fostex HP-P1 and the combo is stellar.  Great detail and GREAT soundstage.  I've also ordered the iBasso D7 Sidewinder for laptop use, so I'm looking forward to trying out that combination.

Any idea if the UERM's would benefit from any break in?  Would recabling improve matters at all (not that I am disappointed right now, just curious).

Yes, the UERM is a very nice CIEM with a great soundstage.  That's a nice setup you have; once you have had some time with the D7, please post how the D7 compares with the HP-P1 when you have a chance.  

From a break in standpoint, the treble improved for me in time.  As far as the cable improvements, I haven't found many cables that really improve the sound other than the ultra expensive Crystal Piccolino cable.  

Quote:
Does UE reshell? I have an old pair of UE-10s and I'm curious if they do... :frowning2:?

By the way, does anyone here know what can match the UE-10 that's around $500 today? Is there such a thing or am I better off keeping the UE? Basically reshelling + my cost of buying the UE's are costing me $500. I'm curious to know if I should keep these or rather get a new pair of customs with a $500 budget... Help?

There are many new CIEMs in that price range, but I haven't heard the UE-10, so I really don't know how to compare them.

Quote:
Ask UE directly, see what they can do for you.

Good suggestion!

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #186 of 733
Hmm... guys, Would you wear the CIEM while eating?

Any negative on the housing?

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #187 of 733
Quote:
Hmm... guys, Would you wear the CIEM while eating?

Any negative on the housing?

If you have a good fit, it shouldn't be an issue and you shouldn't lose seal.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #188 of 733
[size=10pt]Hi, I finally jumped the gun and got me a pair of UERM's and I am in heaven. Now I have a question tough, I somehow find it hard to identify the right volume to use while listening. I use an Iphone 4 as source and if I use the headphone out I find that I listen at about 1/3 of maximum output. For my feeling that sounds already quite loud, but if I go below that setting bass response drops as if listening to a speaker that is driven to soft. My second option is to use my Fiio E6, but again at low gain with the volume at position 1 bass response is very poor but at position 2 I got the feeling I am driving them to loud. Btw I am quite sure that my fit is good since I get a vacuum sort of feeling as soon as I try to pull them out of my ears. [/size]

[size=10pt]Could any of u please give me some indication which volume setting you comfortably use in combination with the Iphone 4?[/size]

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #189 of 733
Just crank it up a little bit. Our ears are actually less sensitive to the extremes (bass and treble) at low volumes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

Most of these CIEMs are so well behaved with no response spikes that can you afford to turn them up a little bit before actual hearing damage. I listen to 30-45% on the iPhone4 with my UERMs depending upon the recording.

Also, the lack of bass at low volumes is what you get for buying a fairly neutral IEM which does not emphasize it. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #190 of 733
Quote:

If you have a good fit, it shouldn't be an issue and you shouldn't lose seal.

I've had my ES5's in my ears for 8-10 hour stretches on an airplane and eaten meals no problem.  It's a wonderful thing.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #191 of 733
[size=10pt]@Purrin thx for your reply, then it seems my 30% should be quite alright. I knew that fact from the sensitivity of our ears, and I also would have known how to calculate sensitivity+ impedance vs iphone output. But since I lack any comparison as to what that would result to in my ear canal I wanted some reference number :wink: [/size]

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #192 of 733
Purrin is right, but you can also get an amp with bass boost like the Arrow and listen at low volumes with more bass.  There are other amps that will supply more instantaneous current at low volumes improving low level bass performance because, in addition to loudness contours, BA bass drivers do often require a bit to really get going.  There are many times I want to listen at very low volumes...

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #193 of 733
Quote:
Just crank it up a little bit. Our ears are actually less sensitive to the extremes (bass and treble) at low volumes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

Most of these CIEMs are so well behaved with no response spikes that can you afford to turn them up a little bit before actual hearing damage. I listen to 30-45% on the iPhone4 with my UERMs depending upon the recording.

Also, the lack of bass at low volumes is what you get for buying a fairly neutral IEM which does not emphasize it. 
biggrin.gif

x2, ya. Very true. barely listen to low bass (not low volume bass) especially like instrument Double Bass in jazz songs... It needs focusing to feel the low bass or its extension.... 

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #194 of 733
Ok thx all for your generous responses. I have another question regarding the UERM. Since I got them last saterday my left ear has been hurting upon the first insertion. It was a bit more of a hassle to get it right the first time then I expected. The right side is much more hassle free and more important painless also it feels much more loose but without breaking seal. What do you guy's think? Could I have overstreched my ear that first time and should I just wait a couple of days and not wear the UERM's to let the pain go away? Or should I go for a refit? I know these are not specific UERM questions so my apologys for spamming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back