Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
Nov 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #166 of 257
The new cable just looks great
smily_headphones1.gif
!!

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #167 of 257
Has anybody else gotten a pair of these yet?  I'm trying to decide whether to get a pair of these UERM's (?) or a UE18Pro for my next pair and am hoping for some more first impressions before I make a decision.   Everything I'm reading in this thread has got me leaning toward the soft shell and flat curve of these RM's...

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #168 of 257
Mine come on Friday so I'll be able to post a comparison between these and the JH-5's. Unfortunately they won't have the soft material for another 3 months or so. I was very much looking forward to that extra isolation because my current ears still let in a lot of noise, and since I work in a 92-95 db environment. I just can't wait that long.

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #169 of 257
Hi there,

Sorry to hear your experience about the re-fitting. Could it be the audiologists? I had the luck of having a perfect fit first time around but then again my audiologist has the experience of making imprints for a local company that makes IEMs. Plus I knew I was in good hands as I immediately noticed the few pairs of cans and a couple of JMLab speakers in his office.
I'm new to IEMs and audio / computer audio in general. I've just been using my UE4 for two days but I love them already. For this last I'll try to write my impressions on a new thread, happily there's a 4-day weekend coming up where I am.
But I can see why there are those who won't like IEM's. spatial perception (or is it called staging?) is just nil. The music is piped into your eardrums hence the only "stage" you'll see is the one behind your eyes which is what I noticed in vocals and featured instruments. In my opinion IEMs function as advertised, meaning as monitors for musicians. Since they are the ones creating the music they don't really need the spatial perception.

P.S. I like this phrase seen on the Focal-JMLab website: "listen to your music, not your speakers"

Quote:
I just want to interject here randomly because I wish someone had done so long ago when I was all about custom-fitted IEMs......... I just don't think custom fits work for everyone.  I never found them comfortable despite what material was used or no matter how many revisions were made on the shell.  I think a lot of people have a higher tolerance than me, but I've known several people who have regretted their custom fitted purchase for the same reason I have.  It is possible that the aforementioned IEMs are all candidates for best sound on the planet, though I would argue that having the sound produced inside the ear takes away certain spacial benefits automatically, but adds great isolation.  But either way, if you are unfamiliar with custom-fitted IEMs I want to remind anyone new to the concept or just a newbie in general, that it is very hard to determine if the custom fit is right for you.  I went to three different audiologists along the way and had 24 total revisions made to my pair where I eventually gave up.  I have two custom fitted IEMs by the way.  As it is now the custom fits just "collect dust"............PS I am pretty sure that these IEMs (the capitol collaboration) are going to sound nearly identical to my UE10s from 3 years ago.  The UE10s were supposedly totally neutral.....and they sound amazing.....but they were considered obsolete by some when the UE11 and later the JH13/16 and UE18 came along....it makes me chuckle that basically the UE10s are being re-packaged in a sorta way and now because they are new and improved and have a capitol logo, they will suddenly be compared to the JH13/16 and UE18...or maybe not I don't know.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #170 of 257
Quote:
But I can see why there are those who won't like IEM's. spatial perception (or is it called staging?) is just nil. The music is piped into your eardrums hence the only "stage" you'll see is the one behind your eyes which is what I noticed in vocals and featured instruments. In my opinion IEMs function as advertised, meaning as monitors for musicians. Since they are the ones creating the music they don't really need the spatial perception.

That does not describe my experence with the Westone ES5 at all. The soundstage is wide and three dimensional, residing well outside my head. Instrument placement is excellent. From my readings on here, others have similar experiences with high end IEMs.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #171 of 257

Quote:

I am rather surprised to hear this, I've heard lots of people describe the soundstage quality for custom IEMs.  I'm a bit new to the concept but I'm pretty sure that I'm getting a pretty good soundstage with my UE11Pros -- love to see some more discussion on this topic though, maybe I'll get a better sense about how you evaluate the soundstage factor.

What's this about not having the soft material for 3 months?  That is one of the selling points to me of this "new" UE RM, the hard acrylic gets a bit tiring after a few hours I find. 

I'm also curious if anybody can do a comparison between UE10 and this new UE RM, is it really just a repackaging?  They sure make it sound like they did quite of bit of research to achieve the flat response... but that could be a lot of hype for all I know!

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #172 of 257
Quote:

I'm also curious if anybody can do a comparison between UE10 and this new UE RM, is it really just a repackaging?  They sure make it sound like they did quite of bit of research to achieve the flat response... but that could be a lot of hype for all I know!

I haven't heard the UE10's before, but this is what Jude had to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude 

I have the UE10 Pro, too, and the UE In-Ear Reference Monitor isn't a re-hash of the UE10 Pro.  They don't sound the same, the latter having sparklier-sounding, more extended highs and better imaging.  That said, given that the In-Ear Reference Monitor sounds better than the UE10 Pro to me--and that both are designed to be flat/neutral, the IERM very specifically so--I'm not sure where the UE10 Pro fits in the lineup now.

Both the UE10 Pro and IERM I have are made with clear shells, so it's also very obvious, visually, that they're not using the same drivers.

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #173 of 257
Quote:
The soundstage is wide and three dimensional, residing well outside my head. Instrument placement is excellent.

man, i gotta try your coffee shop! 
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #175 of 257

Quote:
Actually you should...  I just returned from there where I smoked the new Romeo & Julieta Wide Churchill. What a cigar!  
ksc75smile.gif

Wait, WIIIDE Churchills?  WTH?  It's still a Churchill?  We are talking Habanos here I presume.  Sorry for the OT but you are speaking one of my all-time faves.  
biggrin.gif

Edit - I see it's more of a Robusto.

Edit 2 - @ derek.  Inhaling cigars is wrong on so many levels, if you have no taste buds and want to die use a cigarette.  

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #176 of 257
Quote:
Actually you should...  I just returned from there where I smoked the new Romeo & Julieta Wide Churchill. What a cigar!  
ksc75smile.gif

i'm not a smoker (i've spent far too much time around those who've been devastated by it) but i like to hang with good coffee and tunes. and back on topic, i bet In a Glass House (which anyone who values great music should buy asap!) would sound excellent thru these monitors!  does anyone have amp recommendations for them? will twags fit on them?

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #177 of 257
Quote:
Wait, WIIIDE Churchills?  WTH?  It's still a Churchill?  We are talking Habanos here I presume.  Sorry for the OT but you are speaking one of my all-time faves.  
biggrin.gif

Okay, fast reply with apologies for being so extremely OT. When R&J released the Short Churchil, they just borrowed the famous Churchill name. It's actually a robusto: 4.8" by 50 guage (50/64" thick). It has long been pretty much my favourite cigar.

Now they just released the "Wide Churchill". It's 5.1" with a 55 guage!
basshead.gif
  It is one thick beautiful cigar. Habanos indeed. You have to try it!

Oh, and It smokes great listening to high end reference IEMs. Seriously. Back to the regularly scheduled program. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #178 of 257

Quote:
I haven't heard the UE10's before, but this is what Jude had to say.

Thanks, that is a really helpful answer!  I'm still thinking on getting a pair of these to complement my UE11's.

Now whats this about 3 months til the soft material is available, did I hear that part right?

Ok, I'm a noob, but what the heck is a TWAG exactly? 

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #179 of 257

Quote:
Thanks, that is a really helpful answer!  I'm still thinking on getting a pair of these to complement my UE11's.

Now whats this about 3 months til the soft material is available, did I hear that part right?

Ok, I'm a noob, but what the heck is a TWAG exactly? 

Hi alyanm,

TWAG is a cable! http://www.whiplashaudio.com/elite-twag-replacement-cable-48.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back