Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
Nov 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #197 of 257
Considering a pair of these to replace my aging UE10-pro - but not until the silicone version is ready and reviewed. The main downside I have with my UE-10pro IEMs is them becoming uncomfortable after 30-45 minutes.  A combination of the shell hardness, and them being several years old.  I will need new impressions too I think.  I have a set of TWAG wires, which are a big improvement on my original set which have turned all green.

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #198 of 257
So I've had my UE-RM's for over a week. I expected to be hit with a bolt of lightning with the difference between these and my JH-5's, however when I put them in and pressed play my first thought was "I think I can tell the difference"... However the longer I listened I noticed how everything was in it's place. All the frequencies were clean and detailed. The soundstage was much wider, although at first it felt very 2 dimensional it grew to have a lot of depth and spacing. After spending a week with them I put my old ears back in and was almost grossed out at how muddy and bland they sounded.

I don't know about the rest of you who want ears for just listening to music, they are definitely flat. So if you're one of those people who has 2 15" subs in your car you won't like these. However I really enjoy them just for listening to music. They are amazing to mix with.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #201 of 257
Quote:
So I've had my UE-RM's for over a week. I expected to be hit with a bolt of lightning with the difference between these and my JH-5's, however when I put them in and pressed play my first thought was "I think I can tell the difference"... However the longer I listened I noticed how everything was in it's place. All the frequencies were clean and detailed. The soundstage was much wider, although at first it felt very 2 dimensional it grew to have a lot of depth and spacing. After spending a week with them I put my old ears back in and was almost grossed out at how muddy and bland they sounded.

I don't know about the rest of you who want ears for just listening to music, they are definitely flat. So if you're one of those people who has 2 15" subs in your car you won't like these. However I really enjoy them just for listening to music. They are amazing to mix with.

Very nice. I would love to hear these. Enjoy!

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #202 of 257
I received mine this morning.  Yes.  I paid for Sat delivery.  The thing I noticed most now that I've had time to spend about 3 hours with them is that they reproduce the music, exactly how the music was recorded.  At 1st it seemed like they lacked bass and I needed to EQ them.  Then as I listened more and more, I realized that I'm getting a lot more information to my brain with them that used to just be bass bloat.  When I listen to music that is supposed to have a lot of bass, it is there and doesnt need any more bass.  I'd say the biggest problem with this is that when you have a thin low quality mp3 it can sound lifeless.  But, bass boost on my iphone eq fixes that.

This got me thinking, so I turned off my sub on my home systems which have full range speakers, DynAudio Contour 5.4 downstairs and B&W Nautalis 805Ds upstairs.  I've noticed the same thing.  Needless to say, I actually am really enjoying less bass.

I could totally see some people not liking the bass 100% flat, but they EQ well.

On another note, I'm never buying another pair of universals.  I wish I tried customs before.  They are so comfortable and I never ever have to adjust them.

Also, go with the longer cable and the clear cable looks fantastic.

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #206 of 257

Quote:
I'm lucky enough to have been able to purchase a few things in my life that I love. The UE IEMs are tied for number 2 with that blonde in Portugal, but pretty far behind the Porsche
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice! 

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #207 of 257
now, now, joesuburb! - what is that tagline about the priceless? some things are not bought as much as they're earned. and truly that's how I feel about some of my most beloved gadgets. not necessary for survival, but earned. :wink: on a related note, musicians (although many are getting pretty good at eking a living with their art) often tell me they feel it's wrong to buy and sell music as if it's a commodity - they'd prefer for it to be an experience (kind of like the 4th grade lesson on goods versus services :wink:

and that's why some of the most beloved acts (across genres - think of some of the best folk, rock, or reggae, most jazz, and many "classical" musicians) are touring more than recording; and a lot of dross is recorded and flogged in stores that would never make it onto the stand in your local bar. not to diminish the pleasure I get from really good studio recordings. but attending a gig is still a very special thing. - back to the thread topic here: who here uses the UE RM for mixing primarily, and who mostly for other kinds of listening?

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #208 of 257
Quote:
jude said:

These production ones they made with the standard hard material throughout, as opposed to the soft/hard combo I had before (but I don't think they did that intentionally).

Soft/hard combo? Was only the tip soft? Or was the whole shell soft except for the faceplate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude 

(With the exception of one, all the custom IEMs I have here are of the all-hard variety.)

Are you referring to the ES3X? If so, can you compare the comfort and use of insertion of Westone's vinyl tip with whatever it is UE was using in your preproduction IERM?

Quote:
jude said:

As for sound:  These are everything I remember the pre-production set to be, and that's a very good thing.  Thankfully, I can say that I'm not noticing anything different about the sound.  I'll say more down the road, but everything I said in my original post (the post that begins this thread) still stands.

Interesting.... It means the shell (hard acrylic or soft silicone) has no influence on the sound. So you think this is the top choice for a sound engineer?

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #209 of 257
so, Bones13 - what do you think of the TWAG specifically? what kind of improvement did you get on the 10pro? I ask because I wonder how it would apply, or not, to the 11pro or the UERM. I see posts from people using the TWAG on JH monitors; I don't right now remember many comments about how they sound with UE iems. thx

Quote:
Considering a pair of these to replace my aging UE10-pro - but not until the silicone version is ready and reviewed. The main downside I have with my UE-10pro IEMs is them becoming uncomfortable after 30-45 minutes.  A combination of the shell hardness, and them being several years old.  I will need new impressions too I think.  I have a set of TWAG wires, which are a big improvement on my original set which have turned all green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back