Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
Aug 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #31 of 257
Thanks Jude...wow these iems will be sweet for sure...they come with some very cool aditions i.e. new cable, increased isolation 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #32 of 257
This is kind of off topic from the IEM being discussed, but are there any custom IEMs with enough isolation to use as stand alone hearing protection at the shooting range?

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 257

Quote:
This is kind of off topic from the IEM being discussed, but are there any custom IEMs with enough isolation to use as stand alone hearing protection at the shooting range?

Definitely!  Unless you have a specific requirement like firing a Desert Eagle or .50 cal.  For smaller calibers you are fine.  The Ety ER4 and Klipsch X5/10 would work as well.  Anything w/ greater than 20-22db reduction will work.  

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #34 of 257
Let's say I'm shooting an AK-47/.30-06/AR-30, would a pair of earphones be sufficient? I think there would be nothing better than being able to take hi-fi with me to the range in a few years when I can both afford a pair of custom IEM and legally own a firearm, or even in general go to a range where I could shoot high-powered rifle without dropping a few grand to get one for myself.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #36 of 257

Quote:
Let's say I'm shooting an AK-47/.30-06/AR-30, would a pair of earphones be sufficient? I think there would be nothing better than being able to take hi-fi with me to the range in a few years when I can both afford a pair of custom IEM and legally own a firearm, or even in general go to a range where I could shoot high-powered rifle without dropping a few grand to get one for myself.

PM sent.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #38 of 257
You guys are going to love these.

Think UE-10 clarity and accuracy with a nice, tight low end that's not intrusive.  UE-10 with a little more balls.

They're not as aggressive as the UE-18 -- so flat, so nice. 

I'll reserve a full review for the final production model, as like Jude, my set were pre-release and still subject to some tweaks.

Two other things you guys are going to absolutely love:  the cables are a welcome improvement in design, especially for audiophiles who enjoy the under-the-ear arrangement.  Second, there's an improved case that UE has designed that you'll absolutely love.

If you mix music, you'll love these.  I've used them mixing IEMs for bands, used them to mix live recordings on planes, trains, and automobiles and have been so surprised.  My UE-10 was previously my go-to for these situations -- but these have stepped into that role in a new way. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #39 of 257
i have speak to jerry harvey and this is quote from my email with him he quoted:
 I'm sure that this old technology 3 driver slow transient response IEM can't compare to a JH13 or a JH16.

I am not worried as the audiophile market are critical and actually can hear the audio quality vs something more than a repackage of old drivers in a configuration ala 10x3 and a marketing spin.

I'll put the 13 or the 16 up any day to the Reference UE and I trust the market will hear the difference.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #40 of 257

Quote:
i have speak to jerry harvey and this is quote from my email with him he quoted:
 I'm sure that this old technology 3 driver slow transient response IEM can't compare to a JH13 or a JH16.

I am not worried as the audiophile market are critical and actually can hear the audio quality vs something more than a repackage of old drivers in a configuration ala 10x3 and a marketing spin.

I'll put the 13 or the 16 up any day to the Reference UE and I trust the market will hear the difference.

That's one cool dude.

But I gotta say, I love the cable.  The memory wire causes some fitment issues on my left JH16.  

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #41 of 257
Interesting question you asked. UE10Pro is 2 units - 3 receivers - 2 ways setup (one treble driver, two combined mid+bass drivers + 2 ways crossover). From the spec alone, I would think IERM could very well be a 3-3-3 setup (i.e. W3 or UM3X, one treble, one mid, one bass + 3 ways crossover). But after looking into the picture UE has on their website, I suspect IERM is still a 2-3-2 setup, except it is two combined treble+mid drivers, one bass driver + 2 ways crossover.

Quote:
Is this IERM supposed to be a rehash of the UE10Pros which were the flattest amongst their offerings previously?

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #42 of 257
I too was lucky enough to be able to test these and like the others, I will reserve my comments until I receive the final product.

However, a few things I think I can safely say:

I wasn't a huge fan of their new case but it is by no means a bad case.
The new sound isolating material really did isolate pretty well but I don't know if everyone will like it as much as the standard harder material. I had to take these off to hear people around me speaking (with raised voices) clearly.
I will also confirm that the betas were very neutral/flat sounding, to the point where they were almost mechanical.
The new cables were of very good quality and I had no issues with them whatsoever. I too am surprised that no one thought of doing them like this earlier as well.

EDIT: first post
smile_phones.gif
been lurking a bit and made an account but never really used it.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #45 of 257

Quote:
. I will also confirm that the betas were very neutral/flat sounding, to the point where they were almost mechanical.

Mechanical?  That doesn't sound great. Did they make music sound boring and lifeless?  I can't see the point of earphones that do that - should make you grin more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back