Ultimate Ears 700
Jun 3, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #76 of 110
Ok. Sorry for the Late reply. I have received my sample today. Here are first thoughts, the build quality seems to be well build, maybe not as well built as the Swedish q-Jays that are made of Polycarbonate. But It's still very durable by the looks of it. Sound quality wise, is basically a q-Jays with a more crispy high, and a slightly wider soundstage. Lows are more punchy, but around the same power. Mids, smoother an lusher on the q-Jays, more detail on the 700's. Basically, the usual crystal clear highs from ultimate ears, detailed and lush mids, lows are punchy and present.

So far, aa pretty good earphone. However, if i had to pay the extra $50 to get the 700 over the q-Jays, i would just stick with the q-Jays.

700= Dynamic Sound
q-Jays=Neutral Sound

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #78 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for these few lines.

in your opinion, how do the highs and soundstage of the UE700 compare with the ER4P?

The Highs, the 700 provide just as much detail but in a less irritating package. Mid's and Low's are superior. All i can say. I'm not sure if ER4P is able to stand it's place anymore at it's price point....ER4P may be one of the most Detailed earphones ever to exist, but they also do have some of the most sharp highs on any earphone, and not the most impressive mids and lows like say a pair of Westone 3's, or UM3X. Or ever the 700, and q-Jays. They are no doublty fantastic earphones if you like their sound signature, but i'd say get something else since at it's price point you could get something that could have as much detail on majority of parts, but like tiring and more mids and lows.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #79 of 110
Another good thing about the 700's is that you can easily sleep with them on. I do it every night. I couldn't do it, well comfortably anyway, with any of the other IEM's I've tried before. These are really small.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #81 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidtai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys mean by the UE 700 having a "dynamic" sound? Does it mean that it has a smiley face frequency response?

It has a "Dynamic" sound meaning it's fun to listen to. It's not the Accurate, super neutral kind of earphones that's used for monitoring like the UM3X for example. The High's are emphasized, Mid's are put more forward. Unlike the Um3X which has the frequency completely flat to produce as accurate as the recording was done. They are still detailed, and accurate on many part, just it has a dynamical sound signature.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #82 of 110
OK, time for impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

The UE700 is likely the best earphone I've heard, though I have not heard too many as I'm more of a full-sized headphone guy myself.

Highs:
Nice level of high-end detail, fairly mellow, not sharp. Detail is there, but these aren't bright by any means. I like the highs, but I don't consider them a strong point in these earphones.

Mids:
Warm again, nice sounding, very easy to listen to and enjoyable. Can easily be compared to some of my other headphones which really shine in the mids.

Lows:
Certainly enough bass for any "club thumping track".
wink.gif
Distinct bass punch, somewhat drawn out with some character that doesn't disappoint. Very enjoyable low end that doesn't lack in depth or punch that is a common problem with most earphones/IEMs I've heard before.

Sound stage:
Decent; not huge, not compressed, nice.

Overall:
I like them, I'm keeping them.

Amplification:
Hell yes! Heard them out of a few sources (iPod 5.5G, iPod Nano 2G, Lenovo ThinkPad R400) - none drive these as well as a decent portable amplifier and even something as simple as a CMOY does wonders for these. Personally, I love them most out of a 3-channel Sijosae Class-AB, but that's unfair as I think this amplifier kicks ass compared to almost all others. With a PPAS (similar to Pimeta v2), it's a great sound. As with 100% of headphones I've heard, don't settle for driving them straight from a DAP, none are worthy and ANY amplification is better than none (not always due to pure amplification - voltage and current gain, but simply the fact of using a proper amplification stage after the DAC in the player and hopefully skipping built-in output caps).

I like these and I think they are well worth the price, therefore I'm keeping them as my primary portable headphones (when I don't want to take a 'serious' headphone with me).

Thanks

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #84 of 110
I love these things. Granted I've only owned Sony EX500's and Shure SE310's IEM's to compare them to but these sound way better then both of them.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #85 of 110
How did they compare to the 310's ?

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #86 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did they compare to the 310's ?

compared to the 310's, i would say the 310's have better mids, warm lows. and with a warmer sound signature overall , while the 700 gives more detail on the highs, and has a more punchy low, with a brighter sound signature.

Fit wise, i found it easier to get a seal and better fit with the 310, but there's absolkutely no problem with the 700. Just i preferred the fit of the 310 more.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #90 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitagarwal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any thoughts versus the Triple.fi 10? Are the new UE 700's possibly Ultimate Ears' best universal IEM ever (SQ-wise not comfort-wise)?

I find that the sound signature of the 700 to be more of "my taste" compared to the triple Fi 10. The Triple Fi presents more detail on the Highs, with a wider soundstage in general. the Mids are very similar, i find the TF10 to have more detail on the mids, however the 700's mids are more lush. Lows end, the 700's are quicker, faster, with a thump feel to them, the TF10 beats them in power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back