UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
Jul 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #826 of 1,381
Quote:
If i'm given an elastic band, i'll blow a fuse
wink.gif

Not when they are silver plated, you can't 
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #827 of 1,381
Back in February I spoke with a B&W employee who told me there would be two new models during 2012;  one a budget version and the other that "I would be very impressed with".  I think an H8 (P for portable and H for home or maybe an S for studio).

I think the P5's are a very commendable portable headphone that get a lot of head time connected to the iPhone.  I use their MT-30 5.1 set up for movies and I fell in love with the out of my reach nautilus series when I heard them about aged 20 or so (though I was moved as much recently by the KEF Blades if anyone gets a chance to hear them).

Regarding gear for the show, I could bring my Phonitor but had trouble with it (mains hum interference within the unit) it is inaudible on 300 ohm headphones but annoys me with anything with lower impedance. Shout if anyone wants to play with it.

Hope that helps.

Sceptre

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #828 of 1,381
Sceptre,

A high end B&W headphone is a tantalizing prospect. I use my re-cabled P5 a lot and it's a great portable can, though it did need a pricey aftermarket cable to remove it's somewhat veiled quality.

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:
Back in February I spoke with a B&W employee who told me there would be two new models during 2012;  one a budget version and the other that "I would be very impressed with".  I think an H8 (P for portable and H for home or maybe an S for studio).

I think the P5's are a very commendable portable headphone that get a lot of head time connected to the iPhone.  I use their MT-30 5.1 set up for movies and I fell in love with the out of my reach nautilus series when I heard them about aged 20 or so (though I was moved as much recently by the KEF Blades if anyone gets a chance to hear them).

Regarding gear for the show, I could bring my Phonitor but had trouble with it (mains hum interference within the unit) it is inaudible on 300 ohm headphones but annoys me with anything with lower impedance. Shout if anyone wants to play with it.

Hope that helps.

Sceptre

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #829 of 1,381
julianbell92,

Good point about the meet times.

Provisionally retailers can arrive at 09:00 and attendees with a lot of gear to setup at 09:30. Doors open to everyone else at 10:00 with the raffle draw taking place at 16:00. The meet winds down from 16:30 onwards with it finishing promptly at 17:00.

I'll post these timings in the first thread message too.

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
I'm liking the clear or the understated black ones myself. Speaking of turning up on time, have we established a time for the meet to start yet Andy?

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #830 of 1,381
I've already pre sold my pair of bands to a Japanese audio company for thousands of Yen, as they plan to incorporate the viscous polymer quantum purifier technology into their headphone diaphragms.  
L3000.gif

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:
Elastic band with my logo on it = Collectors item, and they make whatever they are tied around, sound better 
wink.gif

I will send several hundred bands over, it's up to Andy how he wishes to distribute them, as i will not be attending.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #831 of 1,381
Quote:

I'd be very interested to see how the M51 compares to my 20 year old Micromega.  The two other (modern) DACs I have are no better overall in my current place, although they have different strengths and weaknesses.  I can't really draw any conclusions though due to my mains power varying so much.  I tried an Arcam D33, which I really liked, but it may just have been a good couple of days...  I'd also be interested in comparing the JKSPDIF with my Hiface EVO.  I tried the battery pack for the EVO which made a big difference, but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of 'is it charged, or is it on mains?' that comes with it.  I've discovered that the EVO is very sensitive to power quality, so battery beats my current mains, but does it beat decent mains?  That I don't know.

I spoke to my local dealer and the "hygienic demos" they offer are just antiseptic wipes, not what i thought they meant, so I've ordered some replacement earpads for my HD800s as they're going to need them soon anyway.  I also ordered some replacement pads for my old HD650s and will bring them along as well, along with some Grado SR-80s.  And I wonder where all my money goes. :) 

I'm also really curious about how to manage the hygiene aspect.  I expect most of the time I will have my main cans with me testing out different amps/sources, but I want to be able to offer people the chance to listen to them as well.  Wipes isn't exactly what I had in mind.  I've seen photos of covers that people have put over their headphones but I have no idea where to acquire anything like that.  Does anyone have a good source for this?  It may be worth buying something in bulk and then we can have spares for those of us who are particular about this type of thing, or have a set of covers each to take with us around the meet? 

Just some thoughts.  I don't know what's available, but I don't want people to feel limited in what they can test because they aren't comfortable.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #832 of 1,381
Quote:
 I use my re-cabled P5 a lot and it's a great portable can, though it did need a pricey aftermarket cable to remove it's somewhat veiled quality.

Hi Andy,

I saw the Stephan Audio Art P5 cable but didn't want to buy it at that price unheard.  I'd be interested to know what you chose and even better, might look forward to giving it a try on my P5's at the meet.

I will  of course wear three layers of marigolds and be standing in a bleach bath when handling it!

Regards

Sceptre

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #834 of 1,381
Guys,

Is aural hygiene really that much of an issue for headphones?

Obviously foam tips are necessary trying other peoples in ear phones, but unless someone has an ear infection - in which case they categorically shouldn't try other folks cans - then what's the worst that can happen? I'm assuming that attendees will have freshly washed hair and clean ears, so unless someone sweats profusely, I'm happy for them to try my headphones without any covers.  

I'll buy a pack of baby wipes in case any sweaty people need to freshen up their ears, as the wipes shouldn't contain harsh chemicals and should therefore be ear pad friendly.

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:

I'm also really curious about how to manage the hygiene aspect.  I expect most of the time I will have my main cans with me testing out different amps/sources, but I want to be able to offer people the chance to listen to them as well.  Wipes isn't exactly what I had in mind.  I've seen photos of covers that people have put over their headphones but I have no idea where to acquire anything like that.  Does anyone have a good source for this?  It may be worth buying something in bulk and then we can have spares for those of us who are particular about this type of thing, or have a set of covers each to take with us around the meet? 

Just some thoughts.  I don't know what's available, but I don't want people to feel limited in what they can test because they aren't comfortable.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #835 of 1,381
Sceptre,

Luckily I picked up a used Stefan AudioArt P5 cable from AudiogoN for under $100 shipped. It transforms the P5's and you're most welcome to give them a listen.

No need for the bleach bath as I'll jet wash your ears before handing over the cans.  
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:
Hi Andy,

I saw the Stephan Audio Art P5 cable but didn't want to buy it at that price unheard.  I'd be interested to know what you chose and even better, might look forward to giving it a try on my P5's at the meet.

I will  of course wear three layers of marigolds and be standing in a bleach bath when handling it!

Regards

Sceptre

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #837 of 1,381
Looks like I will have to cut down on the Brylcreem that morning.

Most importantly, will there be coffee and  biscuits on arrival, do like Dark Chocolate Digestives, hint hint.

Cheers Frank

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #838 of 1,381
zenpunk,

I think that meet attendees will have to come suitably attired and recommend this hygienic ensemble - 

C_71_article_1117360_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Still need those latex gloves too.

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:
Volume pots like door handles are usually breeding ground for germs.. so what are we going to do about it??? It might be a good idea to also order a large box of latex gloves?
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #839 of 1,381
Holowlegs,

There will be hot/cold beverages and a range of snacks available to purchase from the hall kitchenette.

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:
Looks like I will have to cut down on the Brylcreem that morning.

Most importantly, will there be coffee and  biscuits on arrival, do like Dark Chocolate Digestives, hint hint.

Cheers Frank

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #840 of 1,381

Users who are viewing this thread

Back