ugh...i become a fan of GRADO headphones LOL
May 31, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #91 of 135

Quote:
I feel like Amazon really wouldn't like its users to do this though... it means they're losing money.  I almost feel as though doing this too often will cause Amazon to somehow suspend your account.  I haven't ever returned anything to Amazon though, so I really can't say if this is the case. 

Two things:

1) I've bought (and not returned) so much from Amazon that they get more than enough from me, probably more than 99.9% of their customers. They would never ban your buyer account, they want your money, and returns are fully within their policy. They pride themselves on customer service, remember

2) I couldn't give a rat's ass what Amazon likes considering they banned my seller account with 100% positive feedback and are holding $4000 funds for no reason.

May 31, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #92 of 135

Quote:
I've been reading the threads about Grado mods, and it's been suggested that with enough modifying, the lower end Grados are comparable to the higher end Grados.  I have a feeling I'm going to go along this route at least for a bit.  I don't think it'll cost all that much to turn my SR80is into woodied-SR80is (with me doing the work, of course), and I may or may not recable them.  That way, I can improve the quality of my phones without dropping several hundred on phones that I may or may not like.  There's a Guitar Center not too far from my house (~8 miles) that I may be able to sample headphones at, but I feel like you can't really determine whether or not you'll enjoy them just from a few minutes' listening.  I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable with purchasing headphones just to try them for a while before selling them again.

that's like saying modding a Honda civic to look like a Ferrari will make it preform like a Ferrari. They do not use the same drivers and I would only assume housing would change the presentation of that drivers sound, not suddenly transform it into some massively different beast. As for the cabling thing trying different cables, silver, copper, and normal cables at 32ohm audio I couldn't hear a LICK of difference between the sets with the sr325is*copper, silver, and normal* or the LCD2's now I know people will fight tooth and nail that cables make a difference and they do...If memory servers it was a .013 difference in conductivity from a normal everyday cable to a silver cable. I went from the sr80i and "loved them" until I realized I didn't like them due to the fact I could not wear them for more than a few songs as a very VERY moderate listing level without my ears hurting or having a headache. With that I sold then and tried out ALL of the grado line and I mean ALLL!! of them iGrado*didnt care for*, sr60i, sr80i, sr125i, sr225i, sr325is, RS-2Button, RS-2I, RS-1i, HF-2, and GS1000. I really like grados rich involving mid range with its almost splashy highs, but the lower ends were sooo painfull to listen too, as well as the GS1000 those things should be used as fire wood rather than headphones. I settled on the RS-2 with buttons. I posted a full write up if you care to search for it comparing the RS-2 buttons to the 325is.

May 31, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #93 of 135

Quote:
that's like saying modding a Honda civic to look like a Ferrari will make it preform like a Ferrari. They do not use the same drivers and I would only assume housing would change the presentation of that drivers sound, not suddenly transform it into some massively different beast. As for the cabling thing trying different cables, silver, copper, and normal cables at 32ohm audio I couldn't hear a LICK of difference between the sets with the sr325is*copper, silver, and normal* or the LCD2's now I know people will fight tooth and nail that cables make a difference and they do...If memory servers it was a .013 difference in conductivity from a normal everyday cable to a silver cable. I went from the sr80i and "loved them" until I realized I didn't like them due to the fact I could not wear them for more than a few songs as a very VERY moderate listing level without my ears hurting or having a headache. With that I sold then and tried out ALL of the grado line and I mean ALLL!! of them iGrado*didnt care for*, sr60i, sr80i, sr125i, sr225i, sr325is, RS-2Button, RS-2I, RS-1i, HF-2, and GS1000. I really like grados rich involving mid range with its almost splashy highs, but the lower ends were sooo painfull to listen too, as well as the GS1000 those things should be used as fire wood rather than headphones. I settled on the RS-2 with buttons. I posted a full write up if you care to search for it comparing the RS-2 buttons to the 325is.

See, I've read somewhere on these forums (not sure which post) that all of the drivers from the low end all the way up to the high end are actually really similar.  I'm not sure if this is entirely true or not, and you're saying it's not.  In the event that they are pretty similar, then the housing and cabling are the biggest changes, which aren't too expensive to upgrade.  And I'm thinking the only reason I would do a recable is that the stock cable annoys me with how it gets tangled all the time and I want to be able to disconnect my cable right at the headphones (I'm thinking about going with a mono jack in each earpiece).

May 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #94 of 135

Quote:
Call me inexperienced because I've only owned one pair of high-quality headphones, but I love my Grado SR80is.  I have had them for about six months now and think they sound fantastic.  I'm scared to go out looking for other headphones simply because as a college student I really need the money for other things.  There's also the chance that listening to other 'phones will make me disappointed in my SR80is, which I would hate.  Overall, though, I think they're absolutely phenomenal.

Since they now have the "comfies", maybe you have something to say to the guy who was having problems with the bowls?

- Ed

May 31, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #95 of 135

Quote:

Since they now have the "comfies", maybe you have something to say to the guy who was having problems with the bowls?

- Ed

Who was having problems with the bowls?  And speaking of "comfies" I do find them rather comfortable.  I know some people still don't like them, but when I'm not wearing my glasses, I feel like each of my ears has its own pillow.

May 31, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #96 of 135
I just took a dip into the Grado world and I would have to agree, they are tasty indeed!

May 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #97 of 135

Quote:
I just took a dip into the Grado world and I would have to agree, they are tasty indeed!

Welcome to the dark side! 

May 31, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #98 of 135
more like welcome to the center of the bloody sun. 
wink.gif

May 31, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #99 of 135
Welcome to Hell. A warm, intensely musical hell, to be sure, but hell nonetheless. It took me a while to realise that pretty much everything between the SR60/MS-1 and the RS-2/Ms-PRO would be filler for the day when I can get my hands on something that far up the ladder, and early reports on the Symphones Magnum indicates that they made a bright headphone even brighter. I occasionally miss my 325is, but it really was an ambush predator.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #100 of 135
My first pair of decent headphones were the SR80's. I loved them. Particularly their (relative) transparency. Great value.

But I wanted to go further, and, in 1994, instead of all the middle steps, jumped all the way up, to what was then the top of the line: the HP1000's. Fantastic. Neutral, detailed, fast-- yet also punchy-- great for rock that way. How I loved them for many years. Still have them. I completely understand why Grado evokes a lot of enthusiasm.

But I haven't kept up with their high-end evolution. What is the equivalent (or better) of the HP1000 today?

The main weakness with Grado, IMO, is the foam pads. Speaking of, I strongly believe the 'flats' are much better than the 'bowls.' I requested a replacement set of the flats from Grado, and they only had the bowls. I tried them, and they were terrible with the HP1000. I couldn't believe the sonic difference, and I find it surprising that they go mostly with the bowls for their higher-end models now, it appears. Thank goodness for someone like Todd the Vinyl Junkie, still carrying the flats. But nevertheless, this material is still far from ideal-- it decays too easily over time, leaving one with a gritty residue on ears and hands.

I'm more into other phones now, like the Beyers. But yeah, in spite of their imperfections, the Grados are indeed delicious and worthy of celebration.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #101 of 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcamera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I haven't kept up with their high-end evolution. What is the equivalent (or better) of the HP1000 today?

The GS1000 is the flagship, so to speak. There was no actual replacement for the HP1000 afaik.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #103 of 135

Quote:

The GS1000 is the flagship, so to speak. There was no actual replacement for the HP1000 afaik.

the PS-1000 is the flagship, the GS-1000 was trash an I now see why uncle Eric holds them in such low esteem.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #104 of 135
Love. Delight. Amazing. Power.

Magical. Scrumptious. Fantastic. Truth.

Supernatural. Delicious. Radical. Honest.

Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back