UERM, are they really THAT good? (vs JH products)
Aug 25, 2011 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NobleSix

Head-Fier
hi guys, im looking to purchase my first custom iem.. so far ive narrowed down my choices to the UERM, JH13 n the JH16.. I am leaning towards the UERM right now even though its got 3 drivers 'only' (my fave rite now is also a 3 driver, the SM3), since its got rave reviews.. 

so far my impression towards JH is kinda mixed. quite a few people have had bad experiences with them and i know that JH's packaging is not as nice as UE.. 

should I take the UERM? my music is mainly rock/metal, n some bassy electronica. what about other products in the UE line? particularly the UE11?

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 15
The Westone ES5, UE11Pro are also very good for these genres but UERM has very neutral, flat frequency response with grand soundstage.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 15
mann.. i cant resist the urge to make a UERM 
confused_face.gif

if i do ill be the first one to ever buy a ue custom in my country.. (im 95% sure no one has purchased UE customs before.. only JHs) 
bigsmile_face.gif

btw does that mean the UERM can fit anyones taste as long as the recording is good? i mean for example, bassy songs has to be recorded well witha heavy emphasis on the bass of the music..

what about the UE18? some say that the treble was sparkly, clear and good overall but others say that it rolls off and the UE18 doesnt have that much treble quantity.. this kinda drove me away from the UE18 cuz i was interested so much in it 

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
confused_face.gif

if i do ill be the first one to ever buy a ue custom in my country.. (im 95% sure no one has purchased UE customs before.. only JHs) 
bigsmile_face.gif

btw does that mean the UERM can fit anyones taste as long as the recording is good? i mean for example, bassy songs has to be recorded well witha heavy emphasis on the bass of the music..

what about the UE18? some say that the treble was sparkly, clear and good overall but others say that it rolls off and the UE18 doesnt have that much treble quantity.. this kinda drove me away from the UE18 cuz i was interested so much in it 

Have you visited this thread?

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Aug 26, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Have you visited this thread?

I have but i just thought that i could have some more specific explanations regarding the UE products... anyways, is the treble a weakness for the UE18? i dont mind going the extra $400 if the UE18 is really worth it.. Im looking for the most versatile of the bunch with good bass quality and treble extension :)

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 15
You'd be spending $400 more for an overall worse sounding phone w/ bigger bass is all.  IMHO.  Don't get caught up on price.  Instead do some research on your own about the models.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
You'd be spending $400 more for an overall worse sounding phone w/ bigger bass is all.  IMHO.  Don't get caught up on price.  Instead do some research on your own about the models.

That's what i initially thought as well from reviews and experiences.. Do u think the UERM can handle any music well, from fast paced rock/metal to slow and vocal oriented songs to bassy electronica? or is the JH better?

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #12 of 15
In my time with the JH16 and UERM (short time with the UERM), they are different flavors, but technically pretty close.  The UERM is very neutral and also unforgiving in comparison with the JH16.  If I were to do a quick and simple rating of the bass, mids, and treble + presentation it would be like this:
Bass - JH16 is more enhanced, punchier, faster, and slightly more detailed.  UERM has a little more note thickness on average.
Mids - UERM mids are more neutral and slightly more detailed
Treble - UERM treble is much less forgiving.  Both sound bright in comparison with most of my other custom IEMs.
Presentation - UERM presents the soundstage in a more 3D manner than the JH16, but the JH16 is wider.  Both are on the analytical side, but the UERM more so in general.  UERM is more mid-forward while the JH16 midrange sounds more neutral in location, at least until the upper mids.
Overall the JH16 is punchier and better to my ears for electronic and pop while the UERM is more neutral and better for acoustic.  Of course, they both have different flavors, but again, technically they are similar.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
confused_face.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Where do you live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back