UE tf10 & Monster Turbine - Which should I keep for iphone 4 unamped?
Jan 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Tylerhk

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is somehow my 1st post here and I would like to thank you for your advices in advance.

Most of the time I am enjoying the music at home using my headphone combo and thanks so much to this site I am spending more and more which before I couldn't believe.... (from Grado 60i to K702 to HF-2 to LCD 2 now and not to mention the amp / DAC source upgrade....)

I seldom listen to music when I am "on-the-go" and I have been using UE 4vi for a long time in such rare cases. But recently in the christmas sale of amazon, I decided to blind-buy the UE tf10 & monster turbine due to the the price cut in view of upgrading my "on-the-go" experience. Their prices were so "low" which I could sell them easily at the same price here in Hong Kong. 

Now I finally received all my stuff from Amazon and I am facing a dilemma of deciding which to keep. Of course the easiest way is to open both boxes and then try which one I like more. But as I decided to sell the other one, I want to keep it unopened such to sell it easier. People are wary of imported goods here and not to mention the opened one. So I would like to seek for your advice about which one I should keep for casual use. My source will be iphone 4 without amp as I don't want to bring more things when I am out. I think I shall be listening to more pop music when I am out also.

Thanks a lot for your advices again!

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 38
Aren't the UE 10 custom IEMs? Can those even be re-sold?

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 38
I'm going to assume that you mean the UE Triple Fi 10. If this is the case, then they blow the Monster Turbines out of the water.

Keep the Triple Fi and sell off the Turbines.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 38
@monterto Thanks so much for reminding the silly mistakes I made! 

@albertnam So even I am only using iphone 4 unamped, it still can drive tf10 properly? Thanks again!

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 38
Personally, when I pick headphones to go out with I think, "can I afford to have these stolen from me?" That might not be a concern for you but it certainly is a consideration to make..

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 38
had both, really was night and day difference b/w tf10s and turbines, 

TF10 all the way

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 38
I owned both and would go with the turbines simply because you can wear them in public without looking ridiculous.  I would say that I prefer the TF10 sound signature to the turbines but I would never wear them in public.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 38
thanks so much for all the responses in such a short time~!

It seems tf10 could perform better but it is true that I need to consider fit as well as it sounds like turbine has less fit issues. But there is a interesting point about sound signature, is it true that tf10 is more revealing while turbine is more "fun" and bassy?

I couldn't compare them as I would like to sell another one unopened such that there will be no financial loss.... I can't return them to amazon as it is over 1 month already and there is high shipping cost also.

Thanks again!

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 38
The only sound part where the turbines might outperform thet TF10s is the mids, TF10s had very recessed mids and sounded unnatural to me behind the highs and lows.

apart from that, TF10 destroys turbines in every possible sonic aspect.

oh yea, TF10s are by no mean not fun, very good speed on them. The bass is the best i have heard and has extremely good texture/punch to it. Though you might not like it because it is more of a "punchy" as opposed to "slam" type of bass

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 38
Both the Triple Fis and Turbines have been described as "fun". The difference is that the Triple Fis are top-end, multi-armature IEMs, while the Turbines are mid-range dynamic canalphones. You will not get as much bass quantity from the Triple Fis as from the Turbines, but the bass quality will be much better, as well as extending deeper. Also, many users will attest to the fact that they have some of the crispest highs.

If the Triple Fi and Turbines are going head-to-head in terms of sound quality, the Triple Fis are in an entirely different league. The choice to be made is one of comfort and style. If you have small ear canals, the Triple Fi may cause you discomfort. If you have small ears in general, then the Triple Fi may stick out of your head, and you may not like how this looks. Personally, I have longer black hair and bigger ears, so they are not noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back