UC Berkeley / Berkeley meet (Summer 2004)
Aug 22, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #46 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Gee had this meet been a week earlier, most likely I could have attended, going to be in Mountain View CA most of next week.

minimeet!! if it is a small gathering, it shouldn't be a problem to have one on short notice. what times are you free?

who else wants to meet raul? depending on the location it will be a first come, first served deal.

Aug 23, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #47 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
what times are you free?

Arriving Tuesday at noon, returning Saturday morning. Free time most likely part of Tuesday afternoon, planning to visit Stanford U. campus that afternoon, maybe UC Berkeley also if I have time. Are there some bookstores with internet connection in the Bay Area? I'd like to stop in one for a coffee, and lurk in head-fi from there.

Wednesday or Friday late afternoon/night maybe also, but those will be tighter, full time work-related meetings those days in Menlo Park and Mountain View. Will keep checking here just in case. If there's a minimeet that I can join in even if just briefly to meet some headfiers would be really great.

Cheers,
Raul

Aug 23, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #48 of 112
well, school starts on Aug. 30 for me and I won't have anything going on before then so pick a date (Tuesday??) and we can have a meet then at my place.
smily_headphones1.gif

the Blue Hawaii / Omega II will be charged up for you.

bring some CD's / SACD's too... you probably won't like my selection. (this goes for everyone.)

Aug 23, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #50 of 112
sure, bring some beer if you like.
biggrin.gif

contact me ASAP if you want to come to a mini-meet on the 24th sometime in the afternoon. (less than two days from now.) so far we have two confirmed attendees... me and raul.

here's what I have at the apartment right now:
headphones: ATH-L3000, ATH-W2002, ATH-W100, ATH-W11JPN, ATH-EW9, ATH-CM7Ti, MDR-R10, MDR-D77, MDR-E888SP, MDR-EX71, MDR-G82, MDR-G74, MDR-G73, MDR-G72, MDR-Q33, MDR-023, HP-2, PS-1, SR-007
sources: sony D-E01 and D-465 PCDP's, Accuphase DP-85 SACD player, modded RME HDSP 9632
amplifiers: HeadAmp gilmore balanced reference, HeadAmp Blue Hawaii, Grado HPA1 (Evoz has my Grace 901 right now but will be bringing that to the meet)

Aug 23, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #51 of 112
ooo the 24th is the day before school and I've gots bunches of stuff I still need to do, but what time do you plan on starting the meet on the 4th? I've got to be gone by 2 pm that day. So if it does start before I'm all in with a meta42 and HD-600s and ksc-35's if anyone wants to listen
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #52 of 112
I'll get back to you on what time the meet starts once I have a room ready for us. I'll see if I can get it for the day.

reminder: contact me ASAP if you want to go to the august 24th mini meet.

Aug 23, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #54 of 112
hmmm... the campus doesn't want to let me borrow a room since it won't be used for a student organization function. bleh.

so I guess we'll have to use my apartment.
tongue.gif
should be fine as long as we don't get any more people coming over.

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #56 of 112
I'll be there on the 4th. Not much to bring phone-wise (sr60, 4p) but I have a nice phono stage (Gramamp2 special edition) and some grover ICs that Steve Hoffman is nuts about.

Looking forward to it!

Aug 25, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #57 of 112
Thanks Alex (ayt999) for hosting the Berkeley mini-meet today. Had a chance to meet Alex and Joe (xantus), great guys. For me it was a short meet since I arrived quite late. In the map Mountain View looks right there next to Berkeley and SF, matter of scale of course, it's about an hour drive.

Had a chance to listen mostly to Alex gear and also Joe's AT900. I basically liked all I heard today. Alex has quite a collection of top gear: Accuphase source + BlueHawaii + Stax Omega 2 + Gilmore Balanced + R10 + PS1 + HP2 + Leatherheads. With all that he basically can have mini-meets alone I think
biggrin.gif
He lacks some Sennheisers though, but he is working on it. Joe is getting some Staxes soon, let us know how that goes Joe btw! And good luck!

Super quick mini-meet impressions: Strangely enough, as clean as the Omega 2 sounded from the Blue Hawaii, the R10's and Leatherheads powered by the G.balanced seemed to show more detail in certain recordings. For instance, in Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem there is some minor background hiss, the R10's and Leatherheads showed it clearly when she wasn't singing, the Omega 2's kind of hid it a bit in comparison. Very clean sounding anyway. PS1's still seem too powerful in the bass compared to all other headphones there, a bit too much bass for me. Ah, now I've heard them finally, and I like the AT900's a lot.

Thanks much again Alex and Joe!

PS. I must say, the view of the giant cranes with the skyline of misty SF in the back, seen from 880 North going to Berkeley, is simply incredible, or at least it was today. Looked like a futuristic view of planet Earth in the year 2300, something like that.

Aug 25, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #58 of 112
i'm so in love with the staxes, (*flails* gradofan check yo pm's, I want your 2020!
biggrin.gif
)

it was great to meet you both (and thanks again raul for the ride home
lambda.gif
)
getting to try on several thousands of dollars of headphones was humbling, but at the same time funny because I didnt like most of them so that saved me tons of money right there
biggrin.gif
my first priorty is comfort and the only thing that came close to the a900's was the R10, but that was too bright for me(so light though, wow I put them on my head and they just dissapear).
interesting to note that alex's Grado amp(cant remember the model number)clipped out of my Entech whereas my MINT didnt...but now that I think about it more I blame my iriver for not being that spectacular of a source
tongue.gif

if the 2020 system is even in the same ballpark of sound as the omegas then i'll be thrilled cause the omegas were so clean and totally nonfatiguing
cool.gif
lambda.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #59 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus
alex's Grado amp(cant remember the model number)

that was the grado HPA-1 amplifier.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for coming to the mini meet on short notice xantus, raif, and rsaavedra.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #60 of 112
we have a few leads on possible meet locations but none are going to be in Berkeley (emeryville, oakland, san jose). they are still around the area so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem. we may need a few people to volunteer with carpooling people.

I'll look into a few more locations on campus tomorrow just in case I forgot to check out a possible location. there must be a place that they will let me use....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back