Two weeks until I order the Woo but I've lost my perspective to the evil "Mr. Audiophile"
Nov 6, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 35
I grew up in the NEW ORLEANS area, 

and for MARDI GRAS, a good friend of mine who owns a bar near the FRENCH QUARTER

would hook up all the different BEER TAP HANDLES to kegs of MILLER LITE.....

so, no matter what you order (BUD, COORS, HIGH LIFE, PABST, ETC) you got.....MILLER LITE.

even though the bartender is dispensing the beer from the tap of THE BRAND YOU ORDERED, you (unknowingly)

got.... MILLER LITE.

and you know what?  not a single person ever made a complaint or seemed to notice.

now, i'm not in any way saying that the AMPS are all the same....
what i AM saying is that any of his amps are sure to satisfy me.

(yeah i know the picture doesnt really go with the story, but hey... i liked it!)

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #17 of 35
LA,

Are you considering the Weiss DAC?  It's on my list along with the Ayre QB-9.

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
ice, that 202 for $6000 is way out of my league..... but i can dream!

at this point i'm going to go for the benchmark (preferably just the usb version).

Try to get a hold of Perfectwave DAC, I used to have a DAC1 Pre but sold it after I auditioned the PWD.

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #21 of 35
LOL - I would have to agree.  Coming from the microbrewery capital of the NW, "miller lite" or equivalents are fighting words to the devoted micros.

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #22 of 35
LAmitchell, I can't tell the difference between those beers either! But if someone monkeyed with the micro I ordered, I'd know and raise a fuss.

alphaphoenix - I spent almost eight years in Oregon. I'm particular about beer, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #24 of 35
A New Orleans meet would be excellent! I didn't notice the cheap beers while I was down there - the Abita Stout kept me quite happy.

Still not sure how I made it back to the hotel room.
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #27 of 35
As a Wisconsinite I do appreciate nice local beers, but as a college student and a budding audio enthusiast, the cheap ones do just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #28 of 35
Truth be told with mass produced liquid like that (I just cannot bring myself to call it beer!) the Bar owner probably is just doing the exact same thing the brewery is doing at source!

Quote:
I grew up in the NEW ORLEANS area, 

and for MARDI GRAS, a good friend of mine who owns a bar near the FRENCH QUARTER

would hook up all the different BEER TAP HANDLES to kegs of MILLER LITE.....

so, no matter what you order (BUD, COORS, HIGH LIFE, PABST, ETC) you got.....MILLER LITE.

even though the bartender is dispensing the beer from the tap of THE BRAND YOU ORDERED, you (unknowingly)

got.... MILLER LITE.

and you know what?  not a single person ever made a complaint or seemed to notice.

now, i'm not in any way saying that the AMPS are all the same....
what i AM saying is that any of his amps are sure to satisfy me.

(yeah i know the picture doesnt really go with the story, but hey... i liked it!)

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
I would please like some audio perspective about my impending Woo amp purchase since I believe I've lost mine(perspective that is.......sensibility seems to leave one after full blown Audiophile has set in!).  

After the listen of a WA6 at Skylab's I decided to "Audiophile it"  and get a WA6SE with the upgraded parts, volume, sockets tubes.  Reading more forum posts, endless comparisons, and emailing Jack I decided on a WA22 since it is roughly the same price as the upgrade 6SE.   That was enough for me until I started thinking about getting a non-modded 5LE.  It's just another $600.  I'm about two weeks away from ordering one but now I'm thinking "Mr. Audiophile" may have taken over my brain and I'm overreaching.  It's one of those deals where half of me thinks get a WA5LE otherwise I'll regret it and just start thinking about buying one down the road.  The other half of me thinks just get the WA22, be happy, enjoy the music and let it go.  

Some considerations:
  1. Tubes for 5LE are more expensive and we all know where that leads
  2. Tubes should last though and is above a real consideration or am I just chicken!?!?.
  3. The footprint(s) of the 5LE are big!  Wife alert!!
  4. Who cares about the size of the double bodied 5LE?  Has anyone looked at the picture of these amps?  They are smokin beauties!!  This is what originally got me started on this Woo journey: Musicman59 The Black Beauty http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506402/my-new-woo-audio-wa5-le-the-black-beauty  Yes I'm shallow.
  5. The WA22 review in 6Moons is quite compelling.  What more could I possibly need?
  6. Is this what it is like to buy a Ferrari right before you write the check?

I've got about two weeks here and I will order at that time!!  Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Keith

Keith,

You and I seem to be going through the same thing.  I decided on a WA22 instead of the WA5LE because of the issue of the upgrade and tube cost.  With the WA22 there are no parts to upgrade so the cost is the cost.  Then came the tubes.  It looks like it would be a lot more expensive tube rolling the 5, so I decided on the WA22.  I did get an HD800 with the Cardas balanced upgrade so I could enjoy what the WA22 delivers, and I have a DAC with a truly balanced output.  So, if you don't have a balanced source and don't plan on getting a balanced adapter for your headphone, you may want to look more closely at the WA5LE as the WA22 will not be living up to its potential with single ended stuff.

I am not sorry that I got the WA22.  Every once and a while I look back at the WA5LE and read Hoffman's review (the link is off of Woo's web site), but I am truly very happy with what I have.  The one thing I would do differently is to buy the silver unit.  The black one is a dust magnet.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back