Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Sep 22, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #316 of 1,284
Quote:

Anyone know when the boards will be available again?

Hopefully in a month or so. One of the big sources of delay is building all the power supply and IVY kits to go along with the DACs. My wife is helping out a bit now, so hopefully I can have more ready sooner.

Quote:

i wonder if the transformer coupled inputs on the 4:1 receiver/MUX module will be more tolerant of spdif from a PC?

It will be more tolerant.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #317 of 1,284
Those pins look fine. If you look closely at the picture, you can see a solder fillets under and behind the pins.

The possible bridge, on the other hand, sounds like it might have been a problem. I visually inspect all the boards, and run a test spdif signal through them (16/44.1) checking for audio on each output using a little test headphone rig. It's not an incredibly thorough listening test, but if I want to ship more than a few each month, that's not really possible. So, it's possible that got by me, but it sounds like it's working now.
redface.gif

BTW: You definitely want switch 3 to be low.

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #318 of 1,284
I'm still wondering if I'd need the IVY if I want to use the DAC just to feed the signal to my tube amp.

Thanks for the help!

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #319 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still wondering if I'd need the IVY if I want to use the DAC just to feed the signal to my tube amp.

Thanks for the help!

The Sabre8 works as a voltage output DAC, but performance is far better as a current output DAC (using an I/V stage). So, you don't "need" and I/V stage, but I recommend one.

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #320 of 1,284
Thanks!

What exactly do you mean with "far better performance"? Does it affect soundquality, soundstage etc.?

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #321 of 1,284
Corky: I just tried the SPDIF out from the motherboard and while it works AOK with the monica DAC, on the buffalo I'm getting really sharp clicks, primarily on my left side (hurt your ears...) but also the lock is failing intermittently as a song is playing - this is all just with the onboard sound (SPDIF through a minijack) and then down a non-coax, cheapo RAC cable......

The soundcard was shipped yesterday, so should be here next week sometime.

I'll be interested to hear do you get anywhere with it.

It continues to work flawlessly with squeezebox and CDP.

Fran

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #322 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be more tolerant.

Thats good to here
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those pins look fine. If you look closely at the picture, you can see a solder fillets under and behind the pins.

The possible bridge, on the other hand, sounds like it might have been a problem. I visually inspect all the boards, and run a test spdif signal through them (16/44.1) checking for audio on each output using a little test headphone rig. It's not an incredibly thorough listening test, but if I want to ship more than a few each month, that's not really possible. So, it's possible that got by me, but it sounds like it's working now.
redface.gif

BTW: You definitely want switch 3 to be low.

Yeah everything is cool, you blokes do a great job! don't ever doubt that!
I will leave sw3 low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corky: I just tried the SPDIF out from the motherboard and while it works AOK with the monica DAC, on the buffalo I'm getting really sharp clicks, primarily on my left side (hurt your ears...) but also the lock is failing intermittently as a song is playing - this is all just with the onboard sound (SPDIF through a minijack) and then down a non-coax, cheapo RAC cable......

The soundcard was shipped yesterday, so should be here next week sometime.

I'll be interested to hear do you get anywhere with it.

It continues to work flawlessly with squeezebox and CDP.

Fran

I'm hoping the 4:1 module will help us out in the pc department.

I actually got an old pc cdrom out, powered it and fed the digital out from it into the buffalo and it worked great. I almost thought about including the cdrom in my enclosure but i allready got a cdp
tongue.gif

On the same note i got my pioneer DV-676A opened up and have been trying to steal the DSD from it. Got the pin out for the main IC in it, and have what i think i need but there seems to be a few different bit clocks coming out of it. I manage to get a lock but sound is quite what i'm looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll keep persevering tho!

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #324 of 1,284
OK, my m-audio audiophile 192 card arrived today and I have it installed and working...... but not with the buffalo!

I'm getting intermittent lock and when I play music its the same way. Hook it up to the monica 2 dac and I get a perfect lock - in fact the lock light stays on on the monica even when nothing is playing....

I've tried different settings within the soundcard software but to no avail. When I first hooked up the monica I was getting some distortion on the sound, but a bit of tweaking of latency etc seems to have sorted that out (haven't tested extensively but it seems ok right now)

Any ideas Russ/Brian?

Fran

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #326 of 1,284
No, and No - and now after installing the latest drivers I also have distortion on the signal into the monica DAC, and no tweaking of the latency sorts it. Also it won't play through WMP11 but will play through zune SW.

Fallenangel, is there a simple guide somewhere for this damn card that would simply enable me to get decent SPDIF signal out. Not interested in all the other crap on the card.....

Sorry for the OT guys...

Fran

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #327 of 1,284
Has anyone got around to trying the OPA827 or OPA2211 in their Ivy yet?

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #328 of 1,284
Much appreciation if someone can tell me what the exact dimensions of the Buffalo DAC, IVI and power supply PCB’s are.
If possible, also the position of the mounting holes in the corners. (I know that these PCB’s are of the same size and stackable but the dimensions...???). Maybe it has been answered before but I can’t find it by scrolling through this thread.

I am still waiting for my DAC’s and IVI’s to arrive but meanwhile, I want to start with the preparation of the casework for them.
Many thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back