Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Apr 18, 2008 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,284

rodentmacbeastie

500+ Head-Fier
Hello. I am very excited about this new DAC and Twisted Pear's progress with it. This thread is not an endorsement as I have not heard it but would greatly appreciate Brian and Russ's support here. Everyone is welcome to join in except Crowbar, he has his own thread!
redface.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 1,284
I too am very exited about this one, and plan to add one to my system when available. I know many others that are also eager for the arrival.
I'll wait to see how the "Epic Opus" fairs against it, but I'll keep it in any case. Two DACs is far from overkill in my mind.

Now about that Uber Controler guys?

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 1,284
Hello Folks,

Thank you very much for your interest. I designed the DAC for my own pleasure, but Brian and I are happy to make it available to others.

Just wanted to touch on some design goals and features.

First this DAC is a Stereo DAC with all four of the chip's DAC outputs paralleled.

It can be used both as a voltage or current output DAC.

The DAC board includes no I/V stage, so you are free to use whatever you like.

I have created an I/V stage called the "IVY" which can be used with this DAC or really any voltage or current output DAC.

The IVY can be used (at least) 3 ways:

1) Stereo Balanced output
2) Stereo Single ended output
3) Mono Balanced output. This is accomplished by taking the analog signal in phase on one input and anti-phase on the other and taking the balanced output at what would normally be the SE outputs, so instead of stereo SE you get mono balanced. This is especially useful when using something like PCM1794(COD) or WM8741(opus) in mono mode.

The IVY is also designed to stack with the Buffalo for nice short connections.

The DAC can accept SPDIF, PCM(I2S etc), and DSD.

It can handle sampling frequencies up to 192khz with no reconfiguration required.

It has and I2C header for external control as well as a simple on board controller that does initial setup and the goes to sleep for low noise.

Thats all I can think of for now.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will be posting more later.

Cheers!
Russ

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 1,284
A couple of other notes about Twisted Pear Audio:

All of our designs are free to use for DIY purposes. We provide proven designs and we publish schematics. You can use them, change them, make your own DIY project. Whatever...
smily_headphones1.gif
That's why we provide them!

You don't have to buy our pre-assembled modules!!! This is just a service for people who want it.

You can buy bare boards (and parts if you ask nice) from us for anything we have in stock.

I will let you folks decide how "DIY" DIY is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Our projects are designed to allow people of all ability levels to enjoy the designs.

Cheers!
Russ

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 1,284
At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, how does this differ from the OPUS? I know it's a different DAC chip, but is it better, worse, or just different from OPUS?
I had made up my mind on getting the OPUS, now I have another DAC to consider
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 1,284
Does the Buffalo Sabre DAC get placed into an HSBC Arena case?

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Russ. Can you tell me will the DAC support AES/EBU?

I have not tried it, but I think it should work fine, you will want to use a voltage divider to get the level down to SPIDF level.

Something like this:

Code:

Code:
[left]AES/EBU to S/PDIF signal level converter AES out: 2-------330 ohm-----+------------- SPDIF in | 3--+ 91 ohm | | 1--+------+---------+------------- | - ground[/left]

Which you can find here:

epanorama.net/S/PDIF Interface

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is where it would be most at home.
wink.gif

As an employee of HSBC, I couldn't resist posting that. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back