Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Sep 15, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #287 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got mine put together (after a PS mess up) and it is sounding great! Thanks again Brian and Russ for an outstanding product!

Pics...... piiiiiiiiccccccsssssssssss!

I finished the first 'phase' of mine over the weekend. Total cost of everything except for some very minor expenses was ~AU$770, or ~US$627 at current exchange rates.

buffaloka7.jpg

At a glance.....
Double fused, filtered, DPDT switched IEC inlet
OTTO switching coax and optical inputs
LEDs switch with inputs
Buffalo with switch 3 set low
IVY built exactly as supplied
Two transformers, 15VA 2x0-15V and 30VA 2x0-12V
LCDPS at +6.0 and 7.5 for Buffalo VD and VA respectively
LCBPS at +7.5 for OTTO and TOSLINK
LCBPS at ±15 for IVY

Everything might seem a bit haphazard and space poorly utilised, but it is actually carefully thought out for significant expansion and upgrade. Specifically, I eventually plan for......
OTTO to be replaced by the TPA SPDIF MUX
Extra coax input
USB receiver at the front on the right
Discrete I/V modules on either side of the IVY
IVY to become just a balanced to unbalanced converter
Upgrade to the new TPA shunt regulator power supplies when available

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #288 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics...... piiiiiiiiccccccsssssssssss!

I finished the first 'phase' of mine over the weekend. Total cost of everything except for some very minor expenses was ~AU$770, or ~US$627 at current exchange rates.

Wow, looking nice Beefy.

Brian; did you receive my PM's and emails?

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #289 of 1,284
Very nice Beefy. Nice and tidy wiring. What is that case?

How does it sound compared to an EMU 0404 usb? I know I'm reaching but thats the only dac I have any experience with.

James

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #290 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it sound compared to an EMU 0404 usb? I know I'm reaching but thats the only dac I have any experience with.

I'm also interested in this
popcorn.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #293 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice Beefy. Nice and tidy wiring. What is that case?

Case is this one from Australian company Altronics, who have a knack for getting surprisingly good quality stuff manufactured for them in China.

Quote:

No idea, sorry. Never heard the EMU 0404.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beefy - how come you have the Vd and VA set a bit higher than brian/russ recommends(6 and 6.6 I think)?

The Buffalo website now states that "VA should be run at 6.6-8.5VDC and VD should be run at 5-7.5VDC". VD was specifically set at 6V in my build based on temperature of the Vregs. I tested voltages from 7.5 and down until the Buffalo VD Vreg was just a touch cooler than the heatsink for VD on the LCDPS.

Quote:

sonics?

It has them
wink.gif

Quote:

EDIT: read it again - its cos you needed 7.5 for the otto/toslink, right?

OTTO/Toslink is run from a separate power supply. I chose 7.5V because it is a good brightness for the LEDs and resistors I had lying around.

Quote:

Pics as requested....
I too wanted to keep an open floor plan for expansion. It is burning in for a few days.

Really nice job! Stacking the modules really cleans up the wiring and gives you heaps of room. My case isn't high enough internally for that......

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #294 of 1,284
Stacking allows more boards in the future. The case is large enough to stack power supplies too. So far so good. Easy build all around compared to my Opus build with a half dozen boards. I'm looking forward to the Counterpoint I/V stage and hope to run it and the IVY together. The IVY takes a little break in or at least my build is. It sounded a little rough out of the box but has cleaned up well with 24 hours of burn-in.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #297 of 1,284
Quote:

ParMetal 12"x12"x3"

looks like black painted gold alodine? last week i ordered a clear anodized chassis from Par-Metal for my Bijou build. i was considering black painted, but was unshure about the baked finish as i could find no pictures. how do you like it?

PACE

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #298 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like black painted gold alodine? last week i ordered a clear anodized chassis from Par-Metal for my Bijou build. i was considering black painted, but was unshure about the baked finish as i could find no pictures. how do you like it?

PACE

It is; anodized front, black painted. Most of my gear is black and this disapears. It sits on top of a Slim Devices Transporter and I don't even notice it is there. The painted surfaces scratch pretty easy but is just as easy to touch up.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #299 of 1,284
thanks. nice build btw.

i tried getting in on the last round of boards, but missed out. now i'm left slumming it with my BM DAC1.

PACE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back