Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre DAC
Aug 22, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #271 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you measure the current directly (in line) between the PS and the Buffalo?

It's possible you have a short on the PSU causing the excessive current draw. A few pics of the top and bottom of the PSU would be helpful as well.

Thanks Brian, I switched Va and Vd to opposite sides of the LCDPS and the other side got hot. I checked the power supply for shorts and part orientation and everything looks good.

Va current = 61 mA
Vd current = 170 mA

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #273 of 1,284
Well that's good the numbers are normal, I thought I read somewhere that Va was supposed to draw more than Vd. The Lm 317 heatsink on my Vd side is too hot to touch for more than 3 seconds, as well as reg1 on the Buffalo.

The Buffalo does sound amazing though, you guys did a great job with this Dac

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #275 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by willisv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that's good the numbers are normal, I thought I read somewhere that Va was supposed to draw more than Vd. The Lm 317 heatsink on my Vd side is too hot to touch for more than 3 seconds, as well as reg1 on the Buffalo.

The Buffalo does sound amazing though, you guys did a great job with this Dac

VA should draw roughly 160ma. And VD ~50 ma.

Are you sure you don't have your measurements reversed?

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #276 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VA should draw roughly 160ma. And VD ~50 ma.

Are you sure you don't have your measurements reversed?

This is what confuses me, the silkscreen is very clear VD G VA G. I disconnected the VD wire and hooked my multimeter up inline between + on LCDPS and VD on Buffalo, this measures 170 mA and when I do VA I am getting 52 mA now. I will post some pictures later, I must have something hooked up wrong.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #277 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The digital side runs at 3.3V, so you can actually drop the Vd output from the LCDPS to 5V to reduce the heat on Reg1.

I will do this Brian, should save some wear and tear on my Buffalo.

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #280 of 1,284
Hi,

Very good news here. We have a fresh batch of PS / Opus boards arrived and we will be back in business very very soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

We also have some exciting new things coming, but they are still at least a few weeks off.

Cheers!
Russ

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #281 of 1,284
This one is for Dustin, Russ, Brian.

I was thinking about the name you selected for your product, ''Buffalo Sabre''.
Hum! Good team indeed, but will it be good enough to play well in Montreal!!!!

LOL!! LOL!!!
biggrin.gif

I just could not resist!!!

Jean-Charles

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #283 of 1,284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The funny thing is, I am a Nashville Predators and Colorado Avalanche fan.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just could not miss the hockey reference when I designed the DAC.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ
My previous mail was just to make fun of course. I spent most of my life in or around Montreal, so I folowed the CH since I was a kid.
Our harts are also in Colorado. As you know, the Avalanche are the former Quebec City's Nordique that moved to Denver. Quebec's fans never forgot them.

I found the voltage requirements needed for the Buffalo, but not for the other circuits: i/v, metronome, SPDIF and the coming Conterpoint.
I would also be interested to know the range of the ajustable power supplies, LCBPS, LCDPS and LCPS. What voltage do you use at the input of the ajustable regulators.

Thank you, have a good day

Jean-Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back