Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Feb 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #361 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phoenix Contact numbers 1935161 and 1935174. In the US, available from Mouser and Digikey.

Brian:

This is JT related, but I figured it would be okay to post here. I added a switch + resistor to my JT that I am using to level-match two sets of headphones. Kinda nifty. I figure "volume presets" will be something that might be in the uber-controller, but adding a tactile switch and a re-programmed PIC might be able to do this same thing perhaps? I was even thinking about adding another pot and a switch between the two... which brings me to my next question:

Do you think you could share the Alpha pot part number, as I have panels cut to account for the locking pin and need to order another 5k pot
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, I'm supposing that it's hard to find a place to supply less than 100' of that 10-pin ribbon cable... I cannot find less at Mouser at least.

edit:

ooh, I'm assuming this cable should work:

Flat Ribbon Cable Gray 28 AWG IDC 10 Conductor 25 ft. - eBay (item 200197678096 end time Mar-05-08 08:26:10 PST)

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #362 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My board does not have Oscons, so Im safe
smily_headphones1.gif
i just have to figure out if its worth it to go differential. Otherwise it might be fun to get a COD and switching between them using an OTTO board.

Doh, I dont know what I was smoking last night
smily_headphones1.gif
My board does in fact have Oscons.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #363 of 994
Quote:

Do you think you could share the Alpha pot part number, as I have panels cut to account for the locking pin and need to order another 5k pot Also, I'm supposing that it's hard to find a place to supply less than 100' of that 10-pin ribbon cable.

That wire is fine. The Pot is from Mouser: 313-2441-5K

Quote:

Doh, I dont know what I was smoking last night My board does in fact have Oscons.

If you end up needing them, I can send extra Elnas.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #364 of 994
Brian,

received the Opus kit today. I must say this is the most professional packaging of a kit I've ever seen. The packing is so good that I am hesistating whether to set up the kit to trial as I know I'll need to repack them in 3 months time for my big shift back home.

thanks for the beautiful kit

her shann

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #365 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by hershann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brian,

received the Opus kit today. I must say this is the most professional packaging of a kit I've ever seen. The packing is so good that I am hesistating whether to set up the kit to trial as I know I'll need to repack them in 3 months time for my big shift back home.

thanks for the beautiful kit

her shann

I agree, between the packing and the amazingly well labeled parts TPA's kits are the best I've had so far. Although I haven't exactly had experience with all that many DIY kit providers
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #366 of 994
Brian, Russ,

Don't want to assume anything - I gather that the tristate dip switch is read from left to right: 1 0 + corresponding to 1 0 open?

her shann

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #368 of 994
Russ,

lucky I don't presume anything. Tried to google tristate switches but didn't get anywhere.

Ok - another question popped up regarding the metronome - to enable ASRC, I will remove the Disable Jumper and configure switches as per recommended in the manual. Connect all wires except the SCK (PCM in) from the WM8804. Connect all wires (PCM out) to WM8740.
Leave the automute jumper on - it will automute if there is anything wrong with the signal.

Correct?

thanks

her shann

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #369 of 994
I should have never entered this thread, know nothing about DAC's, but......... now i want one!
icon10.gif

how long will it take until they are available again????

I'm planning to add one to my Millet Max, is it too much for a DAC noob??? was thinking of an Alien, but.....
rolleyes.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #370 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcaudon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have never entered this thread, know nothing about DAC's, but......... now i want one!
icon10.gif

how long will it take until they are available again????

I'm planning to add one to my Millet Max, is it too much for a DAC noob??? was thinking of an Alien, but.....
rolleyes.gif

With the boards pre-assembled all you really need to worry about is building the power supply boards and wiring
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #371 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the boards pre-assembled all you really need to worry about is building the power supply boards and wiring
smily_headphones1.gif

....and as I can see there's a kit even for the power supply
rolleyes.gif
now I just need to read more about this DAC (or DAC's in general) and wait untill they are available.

Thanks!!!!

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #372 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcaudon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....and as I can see there's a kit even for the power supply
rolleyes.gif
now I just need to read more about this DAC (or DAC's in general) and wait untill they are available.

Thanks!!!!

Ah, but there's a distinction between kit and pre-assembled; kit means you get the parts and board, while pre-assembled means it totally put together (though I think with the latest batch they're shipping the boards out without the terminal blocks on for more customizability)

I've been playing with the modules for a while now, and the opus sounds really good. Only problem these days is getting the boards, since it seems demand for the boards has gone up quite a bit; I wonder how many hits Twisted Pear gets nowadays.

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #373 of 994
Yeah, I hope the increased traffic is a good thing for them. I really want to see these guys succeed in every way. Their offerings are great, and their attitudes are even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back