Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Feb 2, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #331 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found out that the Oppo 981 has I2S headers that are wide open, so I think I will pick up one of those and hook up a spdif board to that and call it good enough
smily_headphones1.gif
Though I need to read up and find out if it's possible to output both a coax and toslink spdif out at the same time, so I might be able to do some comparison listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Im also picking up the Oppo for this purpose. It seems almost too good to be true
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #334 of 994
I noticed on the opus page otto it said "for example, it can easily be used as a mono 2:1 or 1:2 switch for balanced analog signals, a stereo 2:1 or 1: switch for single-ended signals" Anyone know why can the otto only be used for mono in a balanced configuration?

With four switching contacts, that should allow for both +/- signals of left and right be switched. Is there something wrong with sharing a ground between left and right in a balanced configuration?

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #335 of 994
Quote:

I noticed on the opus page otto it said "for example, it can easily be used as a mono 2:1 or 1:2 switch for balanced analog signals, a stereo 2:1 or 1: switch for single-ended signals" Anyone know why can the otto only be used for mono in a balanced configuration?

With four switching contacts, that should allow for both +/- signals of left and right be switched. Is there something wrong with sharing a ground between left and right in a balanced configuration?

Are you sure it says mono? I was under the impression that it will work in stereo, its got enough switching contacts like you say. Twisted Pears Opus page is down at the moment so I cant verify.

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #336 of 994
That was a direct quote from the page, I'm thinking it's just a typo, but I had to ask before buying. Btw, was anyone else having issues with removing or changing quantities of parts in cart?

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #337 of 994
Hi Nebby,

Yes, I emailed Brian about that the other day and he said there was a bug in the scripting that he needed to fix.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #338 of 994
Quote:

That was a direct quote from the page, I'm thinking it's just a typo, but I had to ask before buying. Btw, was anyone else having issues with removing or changing quantities of parts in cart?

Yeah, I see now that you are correct. In my head, the OTTO would work in balanced stereo, but maybe Im missing something.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #340 of 994
Hello,

Can someone help me with a few details regarding the power supplies for the Opus DAC. This is a duplicate post (not sure if the DIYAudio board is very active).

How much current do the LCDPS and LCBPS need from their respective transformer(s)? What is the current rating of the LM317 and LM337 supplied with the kits?

What DC voltages should each power supply be adjusted to?

Thanks.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #341 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

Can someone help me with a few details regarding the power supplies for the Opus DAC. This is a duplicate post (not sure if the DIYAudio board is very active).

How much current do the LCDPS and LCBPS need from their respective transformer(s)? What is the current rating of the LM317 and LM337 supplied with the kits?

What DC voltages should each power supply be adjusted to?

Thanks.

TP sells the 15VA transformer to go with the power supplies. Remember you will need a transformer for each power supply. Not sure on the current rating of the regulators but I would guess they are 1A-1.5A

The LCDPS is set to 7.5V on both sides and the LCBPS is 15V+/-

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #342 of 994
How hard would it be for somebody with little electronics experience to put together one of these?

I've never done a DIY project, but I have a basic understanding of what electronic components do, can use a multi meter, and have done some simple soldering.

It looks like the soldering on the power supply would be the only tricky part, but seeing as it's all thorugh hole I can't imaging it would be that bad for somebody who had done even basic soldering before.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #343 of 994
It's pretty easy to put together. A soldering iron and multimeter would be the only tools you need beside those for the case work. Building the power supplies is very easy and all the parts are labeled for you. Pretty much connecting the dots. If you have any questions there are plenty of people here that could answer them.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #344 of 994
Just one quick question. If running with the Ballsie module, I would need both the Bipolar supply module, and the Low current dual power supply?

I'm also assuming I would need a seperate transformer for each power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back