Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Feb 5, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #346 of 994
Well, I am finally about ready to put this project together. A question to the group though, I am considering using the Metronome for jitter reduction only. If I match it to the input bit rate (44.1kHz or whatever) then that should be taken out of the picture and I can benefit from the jitter reduction from the oscillator chip right? Pro's or con's on this? Experiences so far? Also, Brian or anyone else, the tranny listed on the site will work fine with the bipolar supply module for the Ballsie right?

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #347 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am finally about ready to put this project together. A question to the group though, I am considering using the Metronome for jitter reduction only. If I match it to the input bit rate (44.1kHz or whatever) then that should be taken out of the picture and I can benefit from the jitter reduction from the oscillator chip right? Pro's or con's on this? Experiences so far? Also, Brian or anyone else, the tranny listed on the site will work fine with the bipolar supply module for the Ballsie right?

Hi,

You can do something close to that, but the XO we provide will not do 44.1, only 48khz. Still, I think you would be pleased with the results none the less.

To do 44.1 you would need another XO. I would not bother. The WM8804 has extremely low jitter, if you want just 44.1 I would just use that.

The trafo is perfect for the LCBPS feeding a ballsie.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Russ

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #348 of 994
Thanks Russ
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #352 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB boards will be ordered this week. We should have them back in stock in the next couple weeks.

Awesome! Just as I was finally ready to order, the USB boards were gone. You guys are great!

-Scott

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #353 of 994
I really love to DIY - will there be kits for the dac modules or the ballsie as well?
If not I'll just order PCBs and have the added fun of sourcing components
wink.gif

While listening to my CKKIII everything is fun though!

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #354 of 994
Hi,

We get asked about kits a lot.

We simply don't have time to do both modules and kits for everything in the digital lineup. Kits are incredibly time consuming, and prone to user issues.
smily_headphones1.gif
For the Ballsie sourcing parts should not be very hard though.

We are happy to sell bare boards, and if you really need some hard to find part to stuff the board feel free to ask us.

Cheers!
Russ

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #356 of 994
Are there any issues in going dual differential using a version 1.0 and a 2.0 board together?

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #357 of 994
hi,

I've been using the opus dac through usb for a few days now. I was only using it on my main computer, which is running Vista, and it's been running fine. Today I tried plugging in the usb into 2 windows xp computers, but all i get is static and heavy interference with the music. Anyone have this problem?

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #358 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any issues in going dual differential using a version 1.0 and a 2.0 board together?

Got a reply in the TP forum. Yes, its no problem running the different version together
smily_headphones1.gif

Got another question to the people who built a differential Opus already: Is it worth going differential?

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #359 of 994
The only potential issue (if you want to call it that), is that the output caps may be different. The early first generation Opus modules used OSCONs (22uF), and later switched to SilmikII's. Second generation are SilmikIIs.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #360 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only potential issue (if you want to call it that), is that the output caps may be different. The early first generation Opus modules used OSCONs (22uF), and later switched to SilmikII's. Second generation are SilmikIIs.

My board does not have Oscons, so Im safe
smily_headphones1.gif
i just have to figure out if its worth it to go differential. Otherwise it might be fun to get a COD and switching between them using an OTTO board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back