Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Mar 24, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #991 of 994
Quote:
Thanks tomb. I realized it needs a PSU, an SPDIF to I²S converter and maybe even an output buffer. But even the Buffalo and the AckoDAC need these things, so the DAC itself is still 1/6 the price of those. 

Though it's not a very good comparison because you can't have the Buffalo as a kit, only as a fully assembled board. I mean, soldering the board up is the best part of the whole DIY hobby, so why not offer a kit? 
frown.gif

But yeah, when I look at all the other modules needed, it goes get expensive really fast.

It is my understanding that ESS chips are sold under NDA, so they're not allowed to resell them, they have to sell them as a complete item.
Even if they could sell them as kits, the soldering difficulty required probably means they wouldn't.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #992 of 994
Quote:
It is my understanding that ESS chips are sold under NDA, so they're not allowed to resell them, they have to sell them as a complete item.
Even if they could sell them as kits, the soldering difficulty required probably means they wouldn't.

Oh! I hadn't thought about this... I didn't know some manufacturers did that. 

I thought it was because the circuit layout was optimized using the smallest SMD available, and that using larger components spaced farther apart - necessary for it to be built by DIY'er - would compromise on the performance of the whole circuit.

But yeah both are acceptable reasons. At least the other modules are sold as kits.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #993 of 994
Quote:

No, there is no NDA on selling chips.  We sell as complete units because of the difficulty of assembly, and the cost of parts involved.  It would be a bummer to pay for all the parts and ruin them, which is easy to do.  It would also be overwhelming for me to build kits and complete units, time-wise.  I build all the kits myself, and have a full time job and kids, so, I need to make certain sacrifices in what we offer.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #994 of 994
reviving an old thread for a hopefully simple answer.

i have an opus with the WM8740, i think it's a v1.0 board. if i order the new board with the WM8741, is it a simple drop-in replacement? can i just re-connect all the various connections and everything should work fine?  thanks in advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back