Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Mar 2, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #376 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's the L1 and L2? I tried looking on the layout at the site: http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/imag...bps_layout.jpg and didn't see either on there.

Check the kit picture, its there. On the layout it says U1/U2. They are chokes and are pictured between the IC1 and C1,C2 parts in an unmarked plastic container. Surface mount with two copper coils each.

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #377 of 994
I should've taken a look at the schematic, it's definitely there. I blame it on still waking up
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #379 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by earfanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they are chokes.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd like to know the value or ordering number. I want to rebuild that PSU for a DAC.

I believe they are TDK ACM7060-701-2PL-TL (DigiKey 445-2215-1-ND), apparently they are the only ones that will fit on the board.

I think the psu board might come with them pre-soldered.

You could always ask them.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #381 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have people received their orders from the last shipment? ordered on feb. 3 but my metronome is nowhere is sight...hmmm....

You might have just missed out. They sold out of several modules before Brian had sent out the first lot !
eek.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #384 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by earfanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me what (exactly) is L1 and L2 in the Ballsie PSU modul?

Quote:

I believe they are TDK ACM7060-701-2PL-TL (DigiKey 445-2215-1-ND), apparently they are the only ones that will fit on the board.

I think the psu board might come with them pre-soldered.

That is the correct part number. The bare boards do not currently come with them, but since it's a specific part without available substitutions, that could change.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #385 of 994
I'm about to order an OPUS kit but I was wondering what people's views were on where best to spend the money.

My options are:

Dual OPUS
Single OPUS + Metronome

I'll be using a Squeezebox as my source, a BrianGT 3875 gainclone for amplification all feeding some DIY ScanSpeak speakers. As my amp is unbalanced I was going to use the DAC output directly and accept the 6dB loss in signal.

So what do you think will make the biggest difference? Dual differential or ASRC????

Cheers,
Mike

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #386 of 994
Hi Mike,

Having spent a lot of time with both setups, naturally
wink.gif
,my personal advice would be to go with the stereo mode single opus + metronome. That will be your most bang for the buck. Later you can always add a second opus.

Cheers!
Russ

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #389 of 994
Sorry for dumb question but... How do DACs with USB and S/PDIF inputs play with new things like Blu-Ray ? Will I be limited to music on my computer, CDP and low res outputs from HDTV/Blu Ray devices ?

Also if I get Ballsie and one DAC, both with own power supplies - now many transformers will I need ? As I read somewhere DAC needs about 7.5V so Avel Lindberg Transformer (115V+115V prim. / 15V+15V 25VA sec.) is for Ballsie only ?

thanks

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #390 of 994
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoKoKrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering Zhaolu D3, single Opus DAC + metronome, and Beresford TC-7510, any comparisons between them? Really racking my brain with all these choices...

In my opinion, the Opus should be well ahead of the others.

That's why I'm building one
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back