Tutorial: Increase the "Treble Energy and Detail" of the Shure SE530's! [Pics Included]-[MAIN POST UPDATED 5/04/09]
Feb 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #46 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tired it today and I personally think it sounded much worse with the mod... went right back to the olives. Glad it work for you though.

What mod did you try?
I personally went back to the yellow foams because the bi-flanges were getting annoying. You had to moisten them which makes your ear canal wet. A wet ear canal resulting in me having to push my 530's back in my ear since it kept coming loose. At first I thought it was alright but now...The bi-flanges are very easy to bend at the front when inserting into the ear canal. This means that the hole where the sound comes out of can easily become blocked by walls in the canal rendering the sound gone, muffled, or lacking in a frequency while the other ear is playing perfectly. So here I am back to the yellow foamies and honestly, the upgrade you get with the bi-flanges are no where near worth the hassle. Sorry, Bonthouse...
frown.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #47 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What mod did you try?
I personally went back to the yellow foams because the bi-flanges were getting annoying. You had to moisten them which makes your ear canal wet. A wet ear canal resulting in me having to push my 530's back in my ear since it kept coming loose. At first I thought it was alright but now...The bi-flanges are very easy to bend at the front when inserting into the ear canal. This means that the hole where the sound comes out of can easily become blocked by walls in the canal rendering the sound gone, muffled, or lacking in a frequency while the other ear is playing perfectly. So here I am back to the yellow foamies and honestly, the upgrade you get with the bi-flanges are no where near worth the hassle. Sorry, Bonthouse...
frown.gif

What!?! you can't change your mind, not after how gung ho you were about the "mod"
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #48 of 345
Awww, sorry to hear that!
It still works great for me
biggrin.gif
Perhaps it has something to do with the strange shape of my ears
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #49 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awww, sorry to hear that!
It still works great for me
biggrin.gif
Perhaps it has something to do with the strange shape of my ears
tongue.gif

Forget my friends W3's I might just try these with the Phonaks~

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #50 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What!?! you can't change your mind, not after how gung ho you were about the "mod"
wink.gif

He didn't change his mind about his own mod, he was just refering to mine
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget my friends W3's I might just try these with the Phonaks~

Awesome! Good luck and please post results
biggrin.gif

Edit: Hey, we might just start a universal tip-tweak thread, describing all the different tweaks. Does that sound OK?

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #52 of 345
So.. can we have a final opinion on whether the yellow foams are better or the tri-flanges are better? [and which of these work with the Phonaks, the included tips arent doing justice to my right ear :|]

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #53 of 345
I've been experimenting with tips for my SE530s for some time now. I also use Ety HF2 and have some of their tips. For me, the Shure yellow foams work best on the HF2s, but Ety's grey foams work best on the Shures!

BTW the most significant SQ improvement for the Shures was working out, after about a year's usage (doh...) that you have to twist them into your (my) ears so the foam lodges properly in the outer canal and the nozzle points slightly upwards towards the ear drum. Result? Better sealing, comfort and SQ. Sorry for being dim, everyone else has probably been doing this all along ...

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #55 of 345
Do the Etymotic ER4-14 3-Flanged Eartips also fit the Shure SE530s - can get 5 pairs for £8.99 in the UK, which is cheaper than 3 pairs of the Shure triple-flanges. Thanks.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #59 of 345
Tried the same with the SE530s, modded flanges and all -- just didn't work out for me. Don't get me wrong, after extensive testing, I was able to extract from them the best sound they were able to produce -- but it still was not up to my standards for $300; nowhere near actually. I really disliked that hole in the upper frequencies. Anyways, I sent 'em back.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #60 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried the same with the SE530s, modded flanges and all -- just didn't work out for me. Don't get me wrong, after extensive testing, I was able to extract from them the best sound they were able to produce -- but it still was not up to my standards for $300; nowhere near actually. I really disliked that hole in the upper frequencies. Anyways, I sent 'em back.

Big mistake!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back