Tutorial: Increase the "Treble Energy and Detail" of the Shure SE530's! [Pics Included]-[MAIN POST UPDATED 5/04/09]
Feb 23, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #17 of 345
Much like the W3 I found a need to allow for some extra distance between the end of the nozzle and the end of the tri-flange on the SE530. I take a stock tri-flange and only trim off about 1/8th in or so of the stem to make it a little more flush to your ears after full insertion. That's it! This allows you to really jam the tri-flange in pretty far for a good seal but I find it sounds more natural than a bi-flange. I found the smaller silicone tips to sound plasticky/artificial. But it's good to experiment. Very glad to be done with Olives/foamies. It was a nice discovery.

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 345
I've been experimenting using different tips with my SE530's also. As you point out, the sound is colored noticeably with different tips. Tips are a personal preference, and how they fit and seal on different ears determines what's best for each person. The Shure olive foams just don't fit me, I prefer the gray tips.

I recently bought some Sleek SA6 tips and they fit my ears and seal very well. They fit the SE530's perfectly and position the tip of the IEM deeper into the ear. To me, they sound really good with my SE530's, very crisp, probably accentuating the mid to high end.

I also bought sets of Atrio tips, they also fit the SE530's very well. The double flange tips may require some modification (trimming down the length of the stem) or they stuck out my ear too far. The sound on these were similar to the Sleek tips, however, but they fit a little differently.

The Atrio foam tips have a warmer sound, probably like the yellow Shure tips you describe.

In my opinion, the SE530's sound nice with any tips, provided you get a good seal. The tips tweak the sound slightly. I'll post pictures if anyone want to see these tips on the SE530's. I got all sets of tips directly from the manufacturers.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Original Post has been updated!

grr see you!!!

lol i had aas it happened been planning to do just that with the triple to bi flange mod today for listeing to them when out. on fri i had decided it was time to try out the triple flange and they really brightened them up but i had to take them out for something and when i went to put them back my ears realy protested. off they came and olives went back on.

i do find they diminished the depth of the bass though

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grr see you!!!

lol i had aas it happened been planning to do just that with the triple to bi flange mod today for listeing to them when out. on fri i had decided it was time to try out the triple flange and they really brightened them up but i had to take them out for something and when i went to put them back my ears realy protested. off they came and olives went back on.

i do find they diminished the depth of the bass though

You need to slightly wet them before putting them in your ears so they slide easily in. I had to further cut the stem of the tips so my SE530s can actually flush with my ear instead of sticking out. The soundstage is so expansive it is unreal. There are sounds coming from well outside my head with these tips. They are also times when the sound like literally moves around your head all over not left, middle and right but every area of your head which really makes me forget i'm on the train sometimes. I actually like the BASS a lot more. it is more present and detailed and you can hear even deeper notes than before. The MIDS are still amazing nothing was altered really, and the HIGHS are so crisp and bright it makes me think "Are these really the Shure SE530's?". This amazing sound improvement really occurred after I trimmed the stem of the tips even more so my SE530s can flush with my ears a lot more. I trimmed the stem where it is about 1-2mm inside the last flange.

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 345
oh no sorry i wasnt being very clear before, last friday i tried the triple flange intact, and it was just etymotic like in its ear rapeing brutality, so before your yellow foamy post i had been planning to trim them down and test them out listening today but i thought id give the yellows a go first.

plan to test the bi flange out tomorrow

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #22 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh no sorry i wasnt being very clear before, last friday i tried the triple flange intact, and it was just etymotic like in its ear rapeing brutality, so before your yellow foamy post i had been planning to trim them down and test them out listening today but i thought id give the yellows a go first.

plan to test the bi flange out tomorrow

Oh..ok, Hope you like em'

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #23 of 345
Yeah, I cut them down to biflanges, and they're long, sure, but it's awesome! Try it out
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #25 of 345
Nice thread
smily_headphones1.gif

I wanted to try the triflanges, but the stem was too long so I cut it off where the biggest flange "ends". I tried again, and it was much better, except that three flanges where WAY too long for my ears, I guess I have quite short ear canals. So I cut off the smallest flange, and now it's a very good fit for me, it's even comfier than than the medium olives!
I also seem to think that the bass amount is a bit smaller but also a bit tighter. The highs are not as rolled off either, the whole sound signature changed (IMHO) from Shure's slightly colored to more transparent, sounds more effortless. Also, the soundstage sounds improved.
Just so you know, this is what I first read could do to the sound, so it might also be the placebo effect
wink.gif
but it sounds actually nicer with bi-flanges!
They're not as noice-isolating anymore, but I get a far faster fit, which is also the same every time it feels like.

Thanks for the tips!

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #26 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by t0dy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice thread
smily_headphones1.gif

I wanted to try the triflanges, but the stem was too long so I cut it off where the biggest flange "ends". I tried again, and it was much better, except that three flanges where WAY too long for my ears, I guess I have quite short ear canals. So I cut off the smallest flange, and now it's a very good fit for me, it's even comfier than than the medium olives!
I also seem to think that the bass amount is a bit smaller but also a bit tighter. The highs are not as rolled off either, the whole sound signature changed (IMHO) from Shure's slightly colored to more transparent, sounds more effortless. Also, the soundstage sounds improved.
Just so you know, this is what I first read could do to the sound, so it might also be the placebo effect
wink.gif
but it sounds actually nicer with bi-flanges!
They're not as noice-isolating anymore, but I get a far faster fit, which is also the same every time it feels like.

Thanks for the tips!

Glad you like em'

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #27 of 345
I just PMed Voltag3 about the triflanges-cut-down-to-biflanges WITH the stem INTACT!

I know They're long as hell without a cut-down stem, but that's the whole purpose, that way they won't touch any part of your ear, except the earcanal itself
That creates an amazing effect!

for example, try touching one of your ears while listening to music trough speakers, it will create a strange effect, reducing the soundstage</3 But if you tweak it, so that only the earcanal has any contact with the sleeve/SE530, it will create a massive soundstage! Learned this in psycho acoustics class
wink.gif

Also, use some body butter (smells nicer) or olive oil to rub them in, resulting in a more comforable fit
smily_headphones1.gif

Dfkt or HeadphoneAddict should review the SE530's again, but this time with our little tweak applied to it, don't you think?

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #28 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just PMed Voltag3 about the triflanges-cut-down-to-biflanges WITH the stem INTACT!

I know They're long as hell without a cut-down stem, but that's the whole purpose, that way they won't touch any part of your ear, except the earcanal itself
That creates an amazing effect!

for example, try touching one of your ears while listening to music trough speakers, it will create a strange effect, reducing the soundstage</3 But if you tweak it, so that only the earcanal has any contact with the sleeve/SE530, it will create a massive soundstage! Learned this in psycho acoustics class
wink.gif

Also, use some body butter (smells nicer) or olive oil to rub them in, resulting in a more comforable fit
smily_headphones1.gif

Dfkt or HeadphoneAddict should review the SE530's again, but this time with our little tweak applied to it, don't you think?

So the SE530s are suppose to sticking out of your ears alot? Wow the soundstage is amazing!!! Aw well I'll have to just wear my 530's with it sticking out, who care!!! Thanks for the advice Bonthouse!!

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #29 of 345
such a useful thread...feel like i have a new set of iem's...had been using pk2's for casual, darth's for serious...now have another option...have started out with a shortened tri-flange & it works great, like an instant sound upgrade...thanks again...g

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #30 of 345
well i tried the bi flange and just no

i couldnt get a tight seal in my right ear with them, and no i didint try licking them or using olive oil etc as frankly im never going to do that when out and putting them back in.

may try keeping a set as triflange but cutting down the stem end a bit but ive only got one set of flanges left, things are certainly not us$10 in the uk, like most other things they are an utter rip off here. (even with the awful exchange rate still cheaper everywhere else)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back