TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Aug 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #121 of 3,585
You should start reading this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #123 of 3,585
Quote:
I want to drive some speakers. I am looking to get the receiver and speakers for no more than $300 USD. I don't mind if it's used or new as long as it's functioning and decent sounding. What should I be looking for?

A receiver with a phono stage, and a decent headphone jack. X2 on the vintage receiver thread. If you live in a major metro area you may find a good one via Craig's list as they can be pricy to ship.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #124 of 3,585
I was reading through the thread and it seems like there are some models that everyone can agree are pretty solid. Unfortunately, I live in Vermont so finding some things on craigslist is pretty rare.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #125 of 3,585
Try eBay, just pay careful attention to the seller rating, and see if they talk about how well they pack for shipping. Sometimes they even have the original box, or they double box, etc.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #127 of 3,585
You should start reading this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

No...Don't go there! You will be damned for all time!  I went there and have suffered immeasurable pleasure and much financial ruin!  I got a Pioneer PL-35 at a second hand store with an $20.00 Audio-Technica MM cartridge to go along with the SX-1250..hit a ton of great vinyl at Half-Price Books and at one thirft store scored a 1961 Van Cliburn LP of the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3 autographed on the back with a message to a fan by Cliburn himself...so far the information in this thread has been quite helpful and I will be a frequent visitor.....vinyl really does have a liquidity that is lacking from most commercial digital releases and there is so much wonderful vinyl from the '70's (my heyday) that is not available in CD format at all.  Try to find a Delany and Bonnie or the Charlatans or the Sons of Champlain CD....makes going to a good TT worth the time and effort.                                                                                                                        Skylab, thanks for the great thread!

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #128 of 3,585
I have a MMF 2.1 > Bellari VP 130 > __________ > HD 600 and I want to get a headphone amp. I'm looking at the Little Dot MK III but not sure if it is redundant to have a tube preamp and tube headphone amp. Any suggestions?

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #129 of 3,585
I have a MMF 2.1 > Bellari VP 130 > __________ > HD 600 and I want to get a headphone amp. I'm looking at the Little Dot MK III but not sure if it is redundant to have a tube preamp and tube headphone amp. Any suggestions?

The tube part of your preamp likely drives the output stage. If you hook up a tube headphone amp it will likely bypass the output stage of the preamp so it isn't redundant at all. Hopefully the preamp has a tape out or bypass so you bypass the volume control in the pre.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #130 of 3,585
Being a music lover i think it's time to have some vinyl to listen at home.
I have an Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones with a Fiio e7 dac/amp.
For now i just want to listen to music on headphones. 
From what i've read, i need a turntable and a phono preamp and an headphone amp. 

I really love the design of the Rega RP1 but i don't have a big budget.
What turntable and phono preamp do you recommend, with a 150 200 euros budget.

Should i use a phono preamp connected to my fiio e7 in line in? Or it's better to buy a phono preamp with headphones output?

Sorry with all the questions but i'm quite a noob.
Thanks!

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #131 of 3,585
Yes, you can connect the output of the phono preamp to the line in of your Fiio.

For that budget I think you would be best off trying to find a nice used vintage turntable. Then you can get a decent phono preamp from somewhere like phonopreamps.com.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #132 of 3,585
Yes, you can connect the output of the phono preamp to the line in of your Fiio.

For that budget I think you would be best off trying to find a nice used vintage turntable. Then you can get a decent phono preamp from somewhere like phonopreamps.com.

It says that they've improved the SNR now, but when I tried the TC-750 a few years ago I found it to be unacceptably noisy.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #133 of 3,585
I've only tried the TC-760, but found it to be excellent, especially for the very low price.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #135 of 3,585
Quote:

Thanks! I'll try to find a used turtable for a good price. Do you know wich models i should be looking for? I just know the Technics SL-1200 is a nice one.
Later I'll think on the preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back