TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Nov 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #151 of 3,585
I went and opened it up again and took all componets dealing with the drive out, cleaned um' and re greased, spins a bit cleaner now but still goes up and down. my dad sugested to see if the platter was level, turns out the whole thing was warped :frowning2:

any possible fixes? or essay replacmnt parts? only got a highschool level budget

thanks........

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #152 of 3,585
A truly warped platter is going to be a problem, and wold need to be replaced. And it has to be replaced with the exactly correct one for that model turntable. Platters are not interchangeable from one TT to another (except in a few instances of same brand models from the same line and era).

However, what may SEEM like a warped platter is only that the turntable motor is no longer flush on every side with the plinth. You may be able to resolve the issue completely by removing the platter and finding where the motor is attached to the plinth. This may be on the top, and it may be on the underside, or at least need to be accessed by removing the bottom panel. If you can get the motor exactly level with the plinth, this may well resolve the issue. Most platters on vintage TTs were machined aluminum and not prone to warping...

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #154 of 3,585
This platter is pretty stiff; solid. And it appears what lies beneath is giving me gruff. Hope me hippie find both of our solutions to be minor; simple.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #155 of 3,585
I don't think it really matters.  A good tonearm and cart will be able to handle it.

Depends on the degree of severity :wink:

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #156 of 3,585
Well, to answer the above issues in a more simple to understand way. Yes an arm and great setup and needle are going to make a difference, of course. A great arm and tracking needle are going to minimize the warp adverse effects on sound quality. even keeping the needle in the groove on rare big warps.

But

Everything we do though is based around not having warp to begin with. The needle moves around inside the groove to a degree when there is any small variance, be it side to side due to an off pressed record or up and down. I always here a small warp ( makes a ssssss sound)
eek.gif
 and see my needle leaver bending to compensate for the hill of a warp.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #157 of 3,585
Thanks for the help guys. Sadly the platter really is warped, i was checking it off the turntable. it wouldn't of really mattered if the engine was mounted perfect

Thanks again. any idea off a souces of replacment parts

P.S. to silent man. sorry man, bout jumping in your question hope its a easier fix for ya

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #158 of 3,585
hippie, we're all in this hobby together - both our good and bad experiences will hold us together. Glad you were able to get help. And with only $125 invested, the minor issue I'm having isn't gonna prevent me from falling asleep. 

Plus, I have something else to be excited about - put out a call to family and friends yesterday. "S.O.S. - 'Silent One' needs records! 
tongue_smile.gif
" Tonight, I hauled in a total of 101 LP's...some rare, well originals anyway (Verve, Prestige, Impulse, Blue Note, Columbia ect. labels).
wink.gif
 The genres are Jazz, Blues, Soul, R&B.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #159 of 3,585
Yep!

That's the light and dark of audiophiledom. I have had my share of junky tables. It's all part of the learning curve and it makes the true accomplishments that much sweeter! In the end it makes you completely grateful for what you have..

That is the great part about the vinyl hobby. It's a little like fishing. The record shops are like fishing holes. Some will not disclose their wear-abouts. There are also lots of great fishing stories, like I just was given 100 rare jazz records from a family member............HA
tongue.gif
!

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #160 of 3,585
Quote:
Yep!

That's the light and dark of audiophiledom. I have had my share of junky tables. It's all part of the learning curve and it makes the true accomplishments that much sweeter! In the end it makes you completely grateful for what you have..

That is the great part about the vinyl hobby. It's a little like fishing. The record shops are like fishing holes. Some will not disclose their wear-abouts. There are also lots of great fishing stories, like I just was given 100 rare jazz records from a family member............HA
tongue.gif
!

O, that was a few years back - Grandfather left my father a bunch of really good 78's - some nationally known, others from in and around New Orleans (all Jazz records). So, at some point when both of my parents go home (spiritually, not locally), I'll have even more music...vinyl and R2R tape reels.
wink.gif

Update: Um, not so fast. Just finished going through the newly acquired stack - majority of these records are in bad shape. Some are badly scratched (good times?), some uneven (warped?). And without a record cleaning machine, majority of tonight's booty I'll just keep boxed up, as they're sentimental. May even attempt restoration in the future.

Still have additional records to hear now, other than the same eight I started out with. A good 50 might be serviceable to hear over the next two weeks.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #161 of 3,585
I actually gave about 40 Uhaul boxs of records to a fellow Head-fi member in 2010. I was downsizing my collection of 35 years, basically 1000s of records. I kept about 35 boxes. I just didn't want to sell em to any of those bs record store shysters. It was more fulfilling to give em away. I actually worked at a record store and know how they buy. At least the one I worked for tried to give folks as little as they could for em. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #162 of 3,585
Quote:
I actually gave about 40 Uhaul boxs of records to a fellow Head-fi member in 2010. I was downsizing my collection of 35 years, basically 1000s of records. I kept about 35 boxes. I just didn't want to sell em to any of those bs record store shysters. It was more fulfilling to give em away. I actually worked at a record store and know how they buy. At least the one I worked for tried to give folks as little as they could for em. 

I find it noble to give back, give gifts and give breaks. Not just in audio but in general. I can't tell you how many times I started out anew in a job, school or hobby and had little. Kept my head up and kept grinding. And out of the blue, a gift or helping hand help me move up to the next level. Members here helped me with tubes and other things they were flat out rich in - it really helped me get down-the-street and on my way.

I have since given tubes, cables and surplus stuff to those new and emerging here on head-fi. Formerly, I had always done such a thing locally. It's touching to remember how far we've come in this hobby. You had quite the collection!

One gem turned out to be salvageable, Satchmo! Just ordered a Spin Clean basin; Thursday will begin trying to clean up some of this stuff.

e1735892_Satchmo800x532-Copy.jpeg

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #163 of 3,585
That is a GREAT record! I love Louis Armstrong.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #164 of 3,585
Quote:

I find it noble to give back, give gifts and give breaks. Not just in audio but in general. I can't tell you how many times I started out anew in a job, school or hobby and had little. Kept my head up and kept grinding. And out of the blue, a gift or helping hand help me move up to the next level. Members here helped me with tubes and other things they were flat out rich in - it really helped me get down-the-street and on my way.

I have since given tubes, cables and surplus stuff to those new and emerging here on head-fi. Formerly, I had always done such a thing locally. It's touching to remember how far we've come in this hobby. You had quite the collection!

One gem turned out to be salvageable, Satchmo! Just ordered a Spin Clean basin; Thursday will begin trying to clean up some of this stuff.

If we think about how grateful we can be from noticing gifts it's always a plus. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back