TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jul 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #91 of 3,585
If you decide to buy a new cartridge, I do suggest to buy it from a local shop, who could do the install and alignment for you. Typically an audio store that sells cartridges will install and align for you for free when you buy the cartridge from them, if you bring the turntable into their store.

And again, helping you would be much easier if you could take and post good pictures. Very difficult otherwise.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #92 of 3,585
Quote:
Hurm I tried using even my new The XX album and there is still slight distortion and yes I connected it in the phono input.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a cartridge alignment problem. I'm not familiar with that LP, but I do know that some LP's have ridicuously loud recorded volumes, so the output might be pushing the limits of your cartridge or phono pre-amplifier, and result in clipping/distortion.
This is the case with my Leftfield - Rhythm & Stealth reissue. Really sucks :frowning2:

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #93 of 3,585
That's a good point...you can never assume you have an equipment problem based on an LP sample size of one.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #94 of 3,585
For your consideration I just acquired a use Dynavector 10x5 with 200 of played hours as per the previous owner but it doesn't like my Cambridge phono stage so I'll be posting it in the FS here for the same price I paid for ($100). It's a very well reviewed cartridge but I already went over budget lately and do not want to upgrade my phono stage yet.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #96 of 3,585
Hello all. Not quite a setup question but I am hoping it's close enough!

Can anyone recommend a nice record player that is safe for playing valuable records? It's been a while since I had a functioning player, and I have some old records that are fairly valuable, and while I do not play them all the time, I do like to listen to them occasionally. Should I be considering anything other than one with a replaceable cartridge and adjustable tonearm? Is that really what will make the biggest difference? Is the Audio Technica AT-LP120 a good choice? The price is right for my budget.

Don't have a big budget at the moment, but I am open to all suggestions of new and vintage turntables. Thanks guys.

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #97 of 3,585
That Audio Technica is probably decent enough. It's certainly not high end, but it will likely sound nice and if set up properly with a new cartridge (I think it comes with one) won't hurt your records.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #98 of 3,585
I was looking at the LP240 before I settled on a Techniques, IMO it's certainly worth a look for just $75 more than the LP120.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #100 of 3,585
Here is a somewhat long but very thorough and helpful video on turntable basics and set-up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnskL8Pe6fk&feature=youtu.be

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #101 of 3,585
Hey guys, I just bought my first turntable which came factory installed with a Sumiko Pearl cartridge. When I set everything up and went to make sure the tonearm was level, I noticed the stylus was faaaaar up inside the cartridge. Now, I never made contact with it nor was it roughly handled, is there anyway to retrieve it without ruining it and the cartridge in the process? Also, how would I reinsert it properly? The thing is smaller than my pinky nail and I don't want it to be set in a way that would produce inferior sound or ruin my records.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #102 of 3,585
If purchased new I would ask for a replacement, it sounds like it needs to be sent Sumoko.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #103 of 3,585
Does it look like the one pictured here, or different?

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sumiko/pearl.shtml

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #104 of 3,585
Quote:
Does it look like the one pictured here, or different?
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sumiko/pearl.shtml

Yup, the one I have is just colored differently. I can SEE the needle in there, and can touch it, but can't grasp it due to its diminutive stature. I was thinking about removing the cartridge and just pointing it downward in hopes of dislodging it but I'm hoping for a safer solution.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #105 of 3,585
You should not touch the stylus in any way. You cannot possibly "fix" it if there is a problem. Are OU saying the stylus in your Pearl does not come down the way the one in the picture does?if that's the case, you need to get it replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back