TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jun 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #77 of 3,585
I know I still have the PL41 to deal with but I got a $30 Turntable with a working needle but the sound is pretty dirty(crackle and pops everywhere, prolong notes sound out of tune) could this perhaps be because of an old cartridge/needle? The turntable is also a Pioneer, PL7. It says on the turntable "Low mass high tracking ability tonearm" How will I know which cartridge w/ needle is compatible? I'd like to know if there's a cheap <$50 one maybe?

Thanks for the help.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #78 of 3,585
Here's a stylus:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/PTPL0007.html

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #79 of 3,585
^Thanks but can this turntable take in other brands as well? I just checked and this one is running a Shure 5X but it's not even on eBay.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #80 of 3,585
That is probably a worn stylus that is the problem.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #81 of 3,585
Hrm I have a new stylus now and it sounds good but there is some distortion on the highs and the static that I heard can be removed with some sort of chemical. What about the highs though? Would it be that maybe my amplifier would be the one to blame?

Would a pre-amp help me in this? And if not, do I need a preamp?

Thank you.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #82 of 3,585
You are connecting the TT into the Kenwood's phono input, correct? If so then no preamp is needed. 

Are you playing a clean record?

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #83 of 3,585
Hurm I tried using even my new The XX album and there is still slight distortion and yes I connected it in the phono input.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #84 of 3,585
That sounds like a cartridge alignment problem.  Who set up the cartridge for you?

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #85 of 3,585
Quote:
Hmm - I was going off of this mainly: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/819.html

"Now it's time to set the tracking force approximately. If you can, try to fix the Platter in place so that it cannot rotate. How this is done best depends upon the turntable, but please make sure that you can reverse whatever you are doing. So do not pour superglue into the Bearing!!!!!
Many modern Tonearms feature a spring-based tracking weight adjustment contraptions. DO NOT USE THEM, but simply set them to the neutral position (normally the highest tracking weight). The Anti-skating Adjustment should be for the time being set to ZERO.
First leave the Arm-list up and try to zero the Weight for the Tonearm so that the Tonearm floats level. Now remove the Cartridges Stylus protector or refit the Stylus assembly and readjust the weight so that just a tiny bit of downforce is present. Now use the Stylus-force Gauge to set the tracking weight. There should be instructions with the Gauge.
Simply carefully lower the Arm so the Cartridges needle ends up on the stylus force gauge where it's supposed to be. See what the tracking-weight is. Depending upon the Arm, move the counterweight until the correct weight according to the Manufacturers recommendation is established. Moving the Weight forward (toward the Arm Pivot) increases the tracking force, moving it back reduces it...."

i guess I really have no idea about what exactly I'm adjusting. The cartridge doesn't have a brand or anything on it so I have no idea what it is. So when I adjust the counterweight, how should I tell when it is zeroed?

Good thing this is Marvin Gaye I'm testing it out on and not my Vienna Phil Strauss - Der Rosenkavalier..

this should help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id7xXUs-cho&feature=related

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #86 of 3,585
Kind of a generic question, but can any decent turntable have an adjustable stylus rake angle? My owners manual only talks about adjusting the azimuth but from what I've read the SRA is rather important too. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #87 of 3,585
Yes, unless it is a p-mount cartridge, in which case it shouldn't need SRA adjustment anyway. But the only way to tackle it is often shimming the cartridge in the headshell.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #89 of 3,585
Anyone ever build their own DIN to RCA cable?
I will be making one and my question is around the cable shielding.
With shielded twisted pair cable, my inclination is to only have the shield connected at the RCA end. The DIN plug will only have connected the four wires from the two twisted pair and the separate ground lead will connect to the ground pin.

Comments?

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #90 of 3,585
Quote:
That sounds like a cartridge alignment problem.  Who set up the cartridge for you?

Sorry for taking forever and err nobody... :frowning2: I just followed the instructions on youtube but whenever I try to do it myself, I get kinda lost. I have the cartridge alignment protractor and I've tried loosening up the cartridge screws to fit the protractor as instructed but I feel like I'm still doing something wrong. Should I pay someone to have this aligned? How much would this cost?

*edit* I was actually thinking of maybe getting a new cartridge to get a better sound from stock but should I way until I have enough money for a new cartridge and have that aligned or should I have the cartridge aligned now? I probably won't use it until it's fixed to avoid further damages... :frowning2: help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back