TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jan 22, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #3,541 of 3,585
Thanks!

The problem I'm facing is that only one channel has any output.
I'm not really sure how to systematically troubleshoot this -  so far I've only tried rearranging the connections between the tonearm and the phono cartridge.

Any insight you have would be highly appreciated!

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #3,542 of 3,585
I think it's important to know exactly how to connect the tonearm to the cartridge, and not just rearrange them. Have you verified exactly where each one goes?

There are a few other possibilities. It could also be the amp, or one bad side of an RCA cable is loose, or damaged inside.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #3,544 of 3,585
I think it's important to know exactly how to connect the tonearm to the cartridge, and not just rearrange them. Have you verified exactly where each one goes?

There are a few other possibilities. It could also be the amp, or one bad side of an RCA cable is loose, or damaged inside.

The cartridge I received doesn't explicitly specify where each of the ground wires goes, so I connected the left and right channel connections to the appropriate positions and then tried the two possible combinations of ground connections. Neither of these resulted in any change in output. I also tried tightening the sleeves around which the wires are enveloped (in case the connections were loose), but this had no effect.

Try and flip the L and R from the turntable into the phono or amp. Does the dead channel switch?
We can work out the possibilities from there.

I tried this and the dead channel did switch!

Would this decrease the probability that it's a problem with the amp?

I also wouldn't say the channel is absolutely dead - there seems to be noise coming out of the channel, it just doesn't seem to be amplifying the audio signal from the vinyl.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,546 of 3,585
Some cartridges are color coded, some are not (like the Grado).  Generally, red is right +, white is left +, green is right - and blue is left -.

If the issue changed channels when you changed the connections, the problem is not the preamp.  You might have a bad tonearm lead (from the tonearm to the cartridge or from the tonearm to the preamp.  It could also be as simple as ensuring the cables are plugged all the way in.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,547 of 3,585
The four wires that connect the tonearm to the phono cartridge are color coded. Do the wires match the color coding on the cartridge pins? Are they all securely connected and do the wires all look intact?

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #3,548 of 3,585
Its been very quiet here for a while so I thought I would post a little follow up on my Bottlehead Eros phono stage six months on and a few details of some modest modifications which I feel have helped take the performance to new heights.

The phono now sports a full teflon RIAA stage the teflon capacitors have been hand matched tolerance is about 1% or less
Teflon output capaacitors have replaced the stock MKP dayton film ones
The 100uf electrolytic capacitors on the cathode bypass have been replaced with MKP in oil film caps.
There are a few nice Kiwame resistors in the postions that matter.
Driver tubes are now a very nice sounding pair of EF86 chrome plate Telefunkens
Lastly I made a new enclosure out of Bubinga.

The Eros I think it’s just a fabulous bit of kit the sound is super clean, detailed and just so very immersive

index.php

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,549 of 3,585
Hi there!

I am in need of a phono pre-amp, but I am unsure as to which one to get.

First of all my setup is:

Dual CS 505-3 -> Phono pre-amp -> headphone amp (probably getting the Magni 2 -> Fidelio X2/MDR V6.

I am undecided between the Schiit Mani (160€ shipped) or the Art DJ Pre II (60€ shipped).

No speaker or receivers due to space restrictions :frowning2:

Is the many worth more than double the price of the Art?

Are there any alternatives I am not seeing? I read about the Emotiva XPS-1, but it's marked as 250€ in one of the official Emotiva distributors here in Europe :\

Thanks in advance!

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #3,550 of 3,585
Hi there!

Dual CS 505-3 -> Phono pre-amp -> headphone amp (probably getting the Magni 2 -> Fidelio X2/MDR V6.

I am undecided between the Schiit Mani (160€ shipped) or the Art DJ Pre II (60€ shipped).

Are there any alternatives I am not seeing? I read about the Emotiva XPS-1, but it's marked as 250€ in one of the official Emotiva distributors here in Europe :\

Thanks in advance!

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,551 of 3,585
I have a Cambridge Audio 540P that I really like. I've tried it on several TTs and it always sounds good. Most recently I bought a Teac TN-300. An inexpensive table that has really impressed me.

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #3,552 of 3,585
Hi there!

Thanks in advance!

You didn't mention what kind of phono cartridge you are using. I've read that the Art is decent (for the price), but I'm sure the Schiit Mani will provide improvements in the frequency extremes and in the areas of soundstage width and depth. Both the Schiit and the Art are op-amp based, but the ones in the Art are low end units not designed for critical listening. I personally hate op-amp based audio equipment and would shy away from both, but that's just me.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #3,553 of 3,585
You didn't mention what kind of phono cartridge you are using. I've read that the Art is decent (for the price), but I'm sure the Schiit Mani will provide improvements in the frequency extremes and in the areas of soundstage width and depth. Both the Schiit and the Art are op-amp based, but the ones in the Art are low end units not designed for critical listening. I personally hate op-amp based audio equipment and would shy away from both, but that's just me.

Oh sorry you're right!

I am using an AT95e.

What would be your suggestion regarding the phono pre? I'm very open to suggestions, but I'm hoping they stay around that 160€ mark :D

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #3,554 of 3,585
At that price range you pretty much have to choose from op-amp based units. The Schiit is a good choice as is the NAD PP2 and the Pro-ject Phono Box DC. My little hobby is to buy a used receiver or integrated amp for cheap, plug the turntable into the phono input and take the output from the tape out jacks. Differences between phono pre-amps are difficult to discern unless you really listen closely, but you don't want to buy too cheap.

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #3,555 of 3,585
Oh sorry you're right!

I am using an AT95e.

What would be your suggestion regarding the phono pre? I'm very open to suggestions, but I'm hoping they stay around that 160€ mark :D

One way to approach this is to keep in mind that sooner or later you will replace your phono cartridge.
With this in mind, don't be afraid to get the best phono pre-amp you can afford, it will pay off as you upgrade, er, I mean replace (LOL) your phono cartridge.
Having said that, not too sure how much it goes for where you are, but the Pro-Ject DS Tube phono pre-amp is quite good, I almost bought one several years ago. I decided to spend three times as much (gulp!) and picked up a Moon phono pre-amp. The Pro Ject Tube DS was very close in sound quality to the Moon phono pre-amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back