TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jul 15, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #3,454 of 3,585
I do need to make my spacer record clamping pucks a bit bigger to fully cover the labels they are just bits of bread board covered with a 3mm soft foam with a selfahesive backing.

However and I was paying close attention with the motor running at 0.8-1.0 rpm its slow enough that the water runs off the record faster than it rotates flowing down the grooves when they are vertical in the cleaner and labels were not in any danger. But for sure if I was putting anything of high value you would want to make sure the labels were protected or maybe treated with something to ensure they were not at risk.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #3,455 of 3,585
I've got the U-Turn orbit fully kitted out (the lowering arm, acrylic platter) and it came with a green AudioTechnica cartridge.  I upgraded to a Grado Blue cartridge and it made a noticeable diference for about 100 bucks.  I've got mine going through a Schit Mani into a Denon receiver into Bowers and Wilkins 602s2's.  It sounds magical.  The U-Turn doesn't have all the adjustment features for fine tuning a new cartridge, so that kind of sucks, but once you get it calibrated, set it's great. It has cheap hinges for the dust cover, and no motorized arm.  All that being said, the sound quality is really good to my ears having heard (and owned) various other cheap starter TT's from sony, AudioTechnica, and cheap Croswell stuf.  It has great bang for the buck in the 4-500 hundred range.  Especially with good speakers, the upgraded cartridge and some Schiit.

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #3,457 of 3,585
Jul 15, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,458 of 3,585
Yeah that meme is over my head.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,459 of 3,585
Yeah that meme is over my head.

probably something about being too shaky to ever buy a more expensive cart? no clue.

Anyway, after quite a while i have finally spin up my good old turntable, but i changed a thing. the mat.

Previously i have always used these cloth-ish anti-static mats, and recently i bought a perspex mat.

This changes the quality more than i had ever expected. feels like there's more oomph, punch, and overall tighter sound. while originally a failed buy, as it did not fit my PS-F9, i am happy i did not return it and instead use it on my SL-7.

Now time to clear my backlog of records.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #3,460 of 3,585
Hello guys, could somebody, please, enlighten me in the world of turntables and recommend me some "bang for the buck setup" for $1000?
Turntable, 2.0 speakers and AMP which can handle both turntable and DAC outputs which will be bought eventually.
My cousin wants to jump into the world of audio without any experience and knowledge (at least he got the money :D) and I would like to help him choose and also learn something new.
He listens to M.Jackson, P.Collins, E.John, Queen... simply 70s, 80s, 90s (rock, pop).

Thank you.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #3,461 of 3,585
  Hello guys, could somebody, please, enlighten me in the world of turntables and recommend me some "bang for the buck setup" for $1000?
Turntable, 2.0 speakers and AMP which can handle both turntable and DAC outputs which will be bought eventually.
My cousin wants to jump into the world of audio without any experience and knowledge (at least he got the money :D) and I would like to help him choose and also learn something new.
He listens to M.Jackson, P.Collins, E.John, Queen... simply 70s, 80s, 90s (rock, pop).

Thank you.

If you want the most bang for buck, I'd recommend him to get a pair of active speakers or studio monitors with 2 inputs. That way he can skip buying an amp and hook it directly to a DAC and a phono preamp for the turntable.
Cheap turntables - I wouldn't recommend. Those who know me must've known by now how I abhor budget turntables due to my bad experience with the Rega RP1. I'm also sure a lot of people will suggest getting a used vintage turntable that's in a good working condition as they're usually cheaper and stands the test of time. Check local ebay and craigslist listings for used vintage turntables and check back in here if you're unsure about the asking price and condition of the listed items.
As for the phono preamp, get yourself a cheap but good TCC TC-750 for about $70 (it might be lower, not sure). I'm using it, and boy do I love how good it is compared to my desktop DAC setup.

Currently I'm using a frankenstein Telefunken S500 with Syrinx PU2 tonearm > TC-750 phono preamp > Edifier Studio 7.
The speakers are active and has 2 inputs. One of them is connected to my DAC > headphone amp, and the other is connected to my CDP and turntable via an RCA switcher.
Its cheap, but it works. And its good.

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #3,462 of 3,585
  If you want the most bang for buck, I'd recommend him to get a pair of active speakers or studio monitors with 2 inputs. That way he can skip buying an amp and hook it directly to a DAC and a phono preamp for the turntable.
Cheap turntables - I wouldn't recommend. Those who know me must've known by now how I abhor budget turntables due to my bad experience with the Rega RP1. I'm also sure a lot of people will suggest getting a used vintage turntable that's in a good working condition as they're usually cheaper and stands the test of time. Check local ebay and craigslist listings for used vintage turntables and check back in here if you're unsure about the asking price and condition of the listed items.
As for the phono preamp, get yourself a cheap but good TCC TC-750 for about $70 (it might be lower, not sure). I'm using it, and boy do I love how good it is compared to my desktop DAC setup.

Currently I'm using a frankenstein Telefunken S500 with Syrinx PU2 tonearm > TC-750 phono preamp > Edifier Studio 7.
The speakers are active and has 2 inputs. One of them is connected to my DAC > headphone amp, and the other is connected to my CDP and turntable via an RCA switcher.
Its cheap, but it works. And its good.

Thank you for your recommendation, buying active speakers is a good idea, I found praised JBL LSR305 for $310 and I think we will stick to it unless I find another competitor in this price range (maybe M-Audio?).
But with turntable it will be more difficult, because here in Czech Republic we can´t just buy used one from ebay..

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #3,463 of 3,585
Phonopreamps.com sells a version of its nice phono pre that has an aux input for a DAC, and a volume control, that makes it perfect for using with powered speakers: http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-770LCpp.html

Then all you need is a turntable and a DAC.

As for the turntable, some of the most highly regarded currently manufactured turntables are made in the Czech Republic! They are sold under the Music Hall and Pro-Ject brands. Surely there is a way to buy these over there in the CR where they are made?

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #3,464 of 3,585
I am very happy with my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for the price, worth a look for the money
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back