TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
May 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #3,436 of 3,585
If you are going to be given that Technics, you should get a replacement needle for the cartridge (try needledoctor.com) and you will be at a level on par or maybe better than an Orbit. If you like the Technics and spinning vinyl, you can eventually go for an upgrade, but you'd need to go to a higher level than any of the entry level TTs you can buy today.

May 3, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #3,437 of 3,585
The Technics seem to be in good condition, no smudges or anything as far as I can see. The cartridge seems to be resting on the plinth however - is the tonearm rest missing? I do agree, get a replacement stylus for the cartridge and see how it sounds. One more thing you can check is the speed of the turntable from the strobe around the platter. If it's an old table, you might need a new belt for it too.

May 3, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3,438 of 3,585
That Technics is a direct drive turntable, so no belt needed :wink:

May 3, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #3,439 of 3,585
The technics TT has an audio technical cartridge. Can anyone point me to an inexpensive cartridge/stylus to put in it?

Edit: Does the cartridge and stuff affect the ability to play more complex music? I have a small collection of symphonic metal on vinyl.

May 4, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #3,441 of 3,585
I have my new Project Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Red Cart) setup with my iPhono preamp into my Marantz PM-44 MKII SE > Mission 702e speakers and I am very happy.

I also bought a cork/rubber mix vinyl mat, as the standard felt one isn't great.

I was missing out on quite a bit of detail with my old Dual CS-505 3 with Shure M97xE cart.

I also have the Spin Clean and have not used it yet, also ordered a load of anti static inner vinyl sleeves, and also outer plastic sleeves to protect the artwork.

May 4, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #3,442 of 3,585
The technics TT has an audio technical cartridge. Can anyone point me to an inexpensive cartridge/stylus to put in it?

Edit: Does the cartridge and stuff affect the ability to play more complex music? I have a small collection of symphonic metal on vinyl.

I'm almost positive that particular Audio Technical cartridge has a replaceable stylus. That would be the easiest thing to do. They you don't need to do any alignment. If you can see the model number on the cartridge you can order a replacement stylus easily. If you cannot see the model number, call up the people at NeedleDoctor, I'm sure they can figure it out.

May 4, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #3,443 of 3,585
He just sent a pic to me. Technics SL-D202.

That's one of Technics really low-end tables and it suffered from horrible feedback issues.  If you get it, make sure it is on a rock-solid foundation on a non-resonant floor and a decent distance from the speakers.  If not, you won't be able to turn the volume up too far before the table starts howling.

May 4, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #3,444 of 3,585
  I have my new Project Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Red Cart) setup with my iPhono preamp into my Marantz PM-44 MKII SE > Mission 702e speakers and I am very happy.

I also bought a cork/rubber mix vinyl mat, as the standard felt one isn't great.

I was missing out on quite a bit of detail with my old Dual CS-505 3 with Shure M97xE cart.

I also have the Spin Clean and have not used it yet, also ordered a load of anti static inner vinyl sleeves, and also outer plastic sleeves to protect the artwork.

I can't recommend the Project Speed Box enough, it's an immediately noticeable difference and you'll notice a lot of background noise disappear. I also have the Debut Carbon with the 2M Red and the acrylic platter.

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #3,446 of 3,585
Does anyone have any experience with the Cambridge Audio SR20? I just got a Pro-ject Debut Carbon SB and was originally looking at a headphone only setup, but thought it would be nice to be able to run via speakers too--anyone have any insight on how good (or not good) headphones run off the SR20 (specifically the Sennheiser HD650 and Fostex TH-X00)? 

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #3,448 of 3,585
Hey guys, I'm looking forward to the delivery of a ultrasonic cleaner in a day or two having picked one up off of ebay today.  I’ve been keeping an eye out for one at a reasonable price for a while after having picked up a motor a while back with the intention of making a diy record cleaner at long last.

On the subject of diy I was window shopping at the weekend on the internet and happened accross some spendy Acyrilic aftermarket platters and it fired me up to have a go at making a platter myself. I had some suitable similar materials to hand so here’s a few of pics of how it turned out after a couple of hours spent routing, sanding an polishing today.

I'm sure its going to be a bit crude tolerance wise as its not cnc’d. Basically I cast a flat 25mm thick section of plate out of the resin last night then today once cured  machined it first down to a uniform thickness (digital vernier calipers) and then to shape with a hand router this was followed by a sand and polish up.

It was a bit of fun really to see if I could make something and I didn’t really expect to hear much difference over the 12mm glass platter I have been using.  I was pleased with the end result and pleasantly surprised at what seems to be a bit of extra crispness snap an pop to the presentation along with a bit more texture to the bass. I have been encouraged enough to think about having a go at a mark two version which will probably be something along the lines of the flywheel type platter of the Rega 6.  This would then allow clearance for me to try out a double belt pulley on my Rega Planar an keep the platter a bit lower to the decks base.

Cheers
Jamie

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #3,450 of 3,585
At last and man is it effective. Still needs a few changes and finishing off but I put a few LPs through that I knew were bad lots of pops and crackles etc and its like holy cow what a difference genuinely from terrible to clean as digital on many tracks and I'm really chuffed at the difference it has made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back