TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Dec 2, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #3,377 of 3,585
It seems that the Cambridge Audio 551 does have a headphone out. Use that one, and if it doesn't satisfy you THEN think about getting a headphone amp.

I think he is talking about the 551p not the R which is a full fledged receiver.

I have no experience with the 551p, but it is well regarded.  You could look at a Schiit amp which should be around the same size (or go for the Mani + amp)

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #3,379 of 3,585
What do guys think about this two TT Toshiba Sr-F335 and PIONEER PL-12D II $150.00CAD each?
Thanks!

Well if both of those were in very good condition, I would go with the Toshiba. That Pioneer model is an older belt drive design, and that Toshiba is very likely a CEC-built direct drive TT that's branded Toshiba (at least from what the pics on the 'net look like).

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,380 of 3,585
I'm planning on getting a project debut carbon turntable and Cambridge audio 551 preamp. I'd like to get a headphone amp. Which would go well with my setup that's not stupidly priced?

Rolls Bellari VP130, two birds one stone.  Just add $30 to your budget to replace the power supply that comes with it.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #3,381 of 3,585

What do guys think about this two TT Toshiba Sr-F335 and PIONEER PL-12D II $150.00CAD each?
Thanks!

Well if both of those were in very good condition, I would go with the Toshiba. That Pioneer model is an older belt drive design, and that Toshiba is very likely a CEC-built direct drive TT that's branded Toshiba (at least from what the pics on the 'net look like).

Luckily i found a much lower price TT from my local thrift store(HARKSOUND by CEC  Semi-Automatic Direct Drive HS 510 with a NAGAOKA MP-20 for $30.00CAD)and pickup a vintage PIONEER SX-3700 for $80.00CAD these combo is very nice at least to my ears.

THANK YOU for your Reply!
beerchug.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #3,382 of 3,585
   Luckily i found a much lower price TT from my local thrift store(HARKSOUND by CEC  Semi-Automatic Direct Drive HS 510 with a NAGAOKA MP-20 for $30.00CAD)and pickup a vintage PIONEER SX-3700 for $80.00CAD these combo is very nice at least to my ears

THANK YOU for your Reply!
beerchug.gif

CEC made quite some fine TTs - both under its own brand and as OEM. As practically all my recent purchases in TTs were all CEC made, I can say that these TTs are sleepers. The thing goes so far that the entry level SME TT was completely CEC built device. 

For the money, one can hardly do better.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #3,384 of 3,585
I just DIY'd an ultrasonic vinyl cleaner (total cost $125.00) and the upgrade from the standard disc cleaning machine/washer is silly.

I'm not posting pics yet because it is just a crude looking setup, but basically I bought a 5L Trusonic Ultrasonic cleaner off eBay and used 4" cork discs bought from Hobby Lobby to protect the label.

I positioned notched plyboard and used skewers from the kitchen to hold albums in place above the distilled water bath, manually rotated a few albums thru the bath and shockingly good results.  I bought a used "mint" Rolling Stones "Made In The Shade" off eBay and on the positive side it has no scratches but it was very noisy, but cleaned up it is nearly perfect, like I bought NOS.

For those who buy used records (avoid scratched albums completely) and clean that vinyl.

I am not trying to say it is better than the $4,000 plus cleaners on the market but it is better than any other cleaner I have ever heard.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #3,385 of 3,585
  I just DIY'd an ultrasonic vinyl cleaner (total cost $125.00) and the upgrade from the standard disc cleaning machine/washer is silly.

I'm not posting pics yet because it is just a crude looking setup, but basically I bought a 5L Trusonic Ultrasonic cleaner off eBay and used 4" cork discs bought from Hobby Lobby to protect the label.

I positioned notched plyboard and used skewers from the kitchen to hold albums in place above the distilled water bath, manually rotated a few albums thru the bath and shockingly good results.  I bought a used "mint" Rolling Stones "Made In The Shade" off eBay and on the positive side it has no scratches but it was very noisy, but cleaned up it is nearly perfect, like I bought NOS.

For those who buy used records (avoid scratched albums completely) and clean that vinyl.

I am not trying to say it is better than the $4,000 plus cleaners on the market but it is better than any other cleaner I have ever heard.

Add a disco ball light motor off ebay  and DIY some mount for it, you get an almost perfect "grill" for your vinyl.

As I am from EU, this is what I would go for :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Spiegelkugelmotor-MD-1030-Drehmotor-fur-Discokugel-Spiegelkugel-Diskokugel-/281576624675?hash=item418f465223:g:k7MAAOSwzrxUxV62

Search for similar ( 3 RPM/minute ) motor(s) on ebay for places with 100 and 120 VAC mains - prices should be in the same range.

Do you use pure distilled water or do you add any alcohol and/or surface  tension reduction agents ? How do you dry the LPs ?

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #3,386 of 3,585
 For the JVC JL-A20 can i use any 1/2" mount("S" shaped tonearm headshell)/what do i need to look for when choosing 1/2" mount headshell.I'am looking for something that i can use for this JVC and for any other TT that accept 1/2" headshell.THANKS!

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #3,387 of 3,585

Quote:
   For the JVC JL-A20 can i use any 1/2" mount("S" shaped tonearm headshell)/what do i need to look for when choosing 1/2" mount headshell.I'am looking for something that i can use for this JVC and for any other TT that accept 1/2" headshell.THANKS!

It depends for which cartridge mass and compliance is the headshell meant. It usually boils down to hunt for the lighte/r/st headshell(s), as normally the S arms are quite massive all by themselves. And that means vintage and even back then, lighter versions of quality were relatively rare. Vintage, rare, etc translates today in $$$.

You may also like the headshell to have azimuth adjustment - which additionally compounds the problem. If any of the vintage rigid but light and with azimuth adjustment headshells does appear for sale, expect piranha like behaviour last few seconds of the auction.

Modern day relatively heavy headshell that does allow for azimuth adjustment is Jelco - no one knows in how many rebrandings. Looks like this : 

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #3,388 of 3,585

Quote:

It depends for which cartridge mass and compliance is the headshell meant. It usually boils down to hunt for the lighte/r/st headshell(s), as normally the S arms are quite massive all by themselves. And that means vintage and even back then, lighter versions of quality were relatively rare. Vintage, rare, etc translates today in $$$.

You may also like the headshell to have azimuth adjustment - which additionally compounds the problem. If any of the vintage rigid but light and with azimuth adjustment headshells does appear for sale, expect piranha like behaviour last few seconds of the auction.

Modern day relatively heavy headshell that does allow for azimuth adjustment is Jelco - no one knows in how many rebrandings. Looks like this : 

OK THANK YOU!

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #3,389 of 3,585
  OK THANK YOU!

It starts really low in price : 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Turntable-Record-Player-Phono-Cartridge-Headshell-/400155534114?hash=item5d2b20e322:g:xf_eek:0QAAOSwAYtWHUGc

There is also a silver version at a whopping 0.01$ more or less ;  Please note the "collar" this headshell loosely based on SME model  has may prevent proper geometry with certain cartridges - physical dimensions will not allow you to make the proper lateral geometry alignment.

Then there is this knock-off of the Technics headshell :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Turntable-Headshell-Gold-Plated-Phono-Lead-Unbranded-Generic-Universal-/351245849726?hash=item51c7e2547e:g:yBgAAMXQVT9S2FX2
This one does allow for "free" lateral geometry adjustment, but is relatively heavy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Turntable-Headshell-Technics-Ortofon-Stanton-Gemini-/390422599215?hash=item5ae700162f:g:3ukAAOSwo0JWHTyn
This one is quite light and relatively sturdy.

( For me ) new kid on the block :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Wood-Turntable-Headshell-mit-SME-Anschluss-inkl-Kabel-NEU-/301712299767?hash=item463f7456f7:g:kgwAAOSw9N1VzL1k
hand made from birch wood, light, most probably worth trying

No one of the above allows for the azimuth adjustment.

Vintage ? Ebay lottery ...

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3,390 of 3,585
  Add a disco ball light motor off ebay  and DIY some mount for it, you get an almost perfect "grill" for your vinyl.

As I am from EU, this is what I would go for :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Spiegelkugelmotor-MD-1030-Drehmotor-fur-Discokugel-Spiegelkugel-Diskokugel-/281576624675?hash=item418f465223:g:k7MAAOSwzrxUxV62

Search for similar ( 3 RPM/minute ) motor(s) on ebay for places with 100 and 120 VAC mains - prices should be in the same range.

Do you use pure distilled water or do you add any alcohol and/or surface  tension reduction agents ? How do you dry the LPs ?

Excellent advice on the disco ball motor, that's the one thing I was having trouble with.  I even considered using a rotating roaster skewer.

I'm using distilled water and have seen recommendations from adding ethanol or a drop of photo solution, but so far I'm not sure if additions to the distilled water would add or subtract.
The result with distilled water alone is better by 10X factor anything else I have ever done before old vinyl is sounding fresh and clean just amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back