TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Oct 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,731 of 3,585
That won't work. The speaker level output is much too much voltage. Is the BluRay/Receiver unit valuable?

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #2,732 of 3,585
Forewarning, vinyl newb question incoming.

So I'm a vinyl newb and I'm trying to decide on my first vinyl turntable (that isn't built in to a stereo console older than myself). Is there a justifiably good reason, for a vinyl newb, to start higher than the Rega RP1 or Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, other than the $1,000+ look way cooler? I've never done phono cartridge setup myself; so I'm kind of leaning more towards a table with preinstalled cartridge. 

TLDR: Newb wants to buy a VPI, but can't setup a phono cartridge to save his life. (Can't someone just make a $500 wooden table with an Ortofon preinstalled. :p )

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,733 of 3,585

So I'm a vinyl newb and I'm trying to decide on my first vinyl turntable (that isn't built in to a stereo console older than myself). Is there a justifiably good reason, for a vinyl newb, to start higher than the Rega RP1 or Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, other than the $1,000+ look way cooler? I've never done phono cartridge setup myself; so I'm kind of leaning more towards a table with preinstalled cartridge. 

TLDR: Newb wants to buy a VPI, but can't setup a phono cartridge to save his life. (Can't someone just make a $500 wooden table with an Ortofon preinstalled. :p )

I think you should go to a near by dealer and get them to sell you the cheapest TT they have, all set up.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2,734 of 3,585

I'm a new myself (about one month in), and went with the Debut Carbon.  Love the table, and easy to set up.  Runs a bit fast so just added a rubber band to the subplatter.

I do love the look of the VPI's, but still think I would go for the Debut to start.  You get the same cartridge, and then you have money leftover for the pre-amp and anything else you need

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,735 of 3,585

I think you should go to a near by dealer and get them to sell you the cheapest TT they have, all set up.

THIS. Unless you truly don't live anywhere near a local dealer, it's far better to buy a TT from a local dealer, all set up, when buying your first TT.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #2,737 of 3,585
I live about an hour away from the nearest Pro-Ject dealer and there are no Rega dealers in my area.
frown.gif
Waiting to hear back from the Pro-Ject dealer to see which models they have in stock.

Yeah, my Rega dealer is an hour away.  Totally worth it.

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #2,738 of 3,585
I live about an hour away from the nearest Pro-Ject dealer and there are no Rega dealers in my area.
frown.gif
Waiting to hear back from the Pro-Ject dealer to see which models they have in stock.

wink_face.gif
 If you look a bit closer, you may discover the Regional Rep for Pro-Ject also handling the Rega brand with other dealers out of the area. Establishing good relations with your local dealer could make a Rega appear in the flesh...all set up.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #2,739 of 3,585
Either that or the ERA has a transformer that is blocking some crap on the power line that the other TTs do not. The sporadic nature of the noise has AC line noise/interference written all over it.

Next - try unplugging the DAC and the PC and monitor from the Belkin. Not powering down - unplugging.

As suggested, I spent a couple of hours with PC, monitor and DAc unpluuged (TT, phono preamp and amp were all that was left on the Belkin, nothing else). 
The first hour or so was very fine, blissfully hum-free. The second hour less so. Got the dreaded hum. At one point, it coincided with a call on my cell-phone, but at other points not.
Those periods of hum might have been less loud and frequent than usual, but it's hard to say for sure. I wouldn't swear to it.
I plugged everything back in to get some work done, and it hasn't hummed again yet. The randomness of it is as maddening as the noise itself.

Should I suppose that there's something in the building's power network that's causing my hum and my neighbour's ? And, more importantly, what should I try to do about it ?
As I said, I use a Belkin Surgemaster, and the TT is hooked to the phono preamp through the cables it was shipped with.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #2,740 of 3,585
That level of randomness combined with the fact that the noise occurs with multiple setups certainly seems to indicate something going on with the incoming AC power. That Belkin is a very basic surge protector with very basic AC noise filtering. It's possible that a true AC line conditioner might help. You might also try to find a PS Audio Humbuster. I'm not sure that they still make them, but a used one would obviously be fine. I use one to isolate my CATV power from the rest of my system with good results.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,741 of 3,585
:wink_face:  If you look a bit closer, you may discover the Regional Rep for Pro-Ject also handling the Rega brand with other dealers out of the area. Establishing good relations with your local dealer could make a Rega appear in the flesh...all set up.
I actually got lucky and found a decently close hi-fi store has started carrying Rega turntables. I'm heading over tomorrow for a demo. :D

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #2,742 of 3,585
I actually got lucky and found a decently close hi-fi store has started carrying Rega turntables. I'm heading over tomorrow for a demo.
biggrin.gif

Remember to take the demo loosely, it will not sound the same at your home (unless you are going to strictly use headphones)

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2,744 of 3,585
I should've been more specific. It's a demonstration for phono cart setup.
biggrin.gif
Color me excited! My Schiit Mani arrives tomorrow too. Saturday will be a great day to be an audiophile. :p

You can always bring your own LPs to the dealer's - and since this is Head-Fi, why not your headphones and headphone amplifier ? Thus the only variable remaining is the phono preamp - if you have it, bring it as well ! This last version should sound EXACTLY as at your home - if and when the power is clean enough.

I would caution against using any unfamiliar equipment for auditions - regardless of all the excitement of new arrivals etc. It takes time new equipment settles down, the last thing you want the sound of the equipment you are auditioning potential new addition with is changing during the process.

If you can, do the demo as described above - a dealer worth of his/her salt should allow for it. Of course after that, time permitting and willingness of the dealer, he can set up the turntable in an all out cost no object speaker based system in order to show it at its best - only you can decide how far you are willing to go, as it is hard to "settle for less" once you discovered your dream system. Usually, one's ears decide
wink.gif
on something that possibly can not be supported by one's wallet
mad.gif
 - so keeping it within reason does make sense.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #2,745 of 3,585
As suggested, I spent a couple of hours with PC, monitor and DAc unpluuged (TT, phono preamp and amp were all that was left on the Belkin, nothing else). 
The first hour or so was very fine, blissfully hum-free. The second hour less so. Got the dreaded hum. At one point, it coincided with a call on my cell-phone, but at other points not.
Those periods of hum might have been less loud and frequent than usual, but it's hard to say for sure. I wouldn't swear to it.
I plugged everything back in to get some work done, and it hasn't hummed again yet. The randomness of it is as maddening as the noise itself.

Should I suppose that there's something in the building's power network that's causing my hum and my neighbour's ? And, more importantly, what should I try to do about it ?
As I said, I use a Belkin Surgemaster, and the TT is hooked to the phono preamp through the cables it was shipped with.

Do you happen to live close to a powerline?

is your amplifier properly grounded? It seems like some sort of build up of electrical interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back