TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Oct 18, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #2,746 of 3,585
Welp after a nice demo session I ended up with the RP1 with performance pack. The standard RP1 sounds nice but you can definitely hear the difference with the performance pack. Which I'm betting mostly comes down to the Rega Bias cartridge.

I decided to put on Smashing Pumpkin's Adore first, 180g mastered from the original tapes. I chose it because I've listened to the CD innumerable times. 3 songs in to the album and I knew this is what I wanted. I'm trying real hard to not use all the hyperbole that hi-fi/head-fi loves to use; but the sound just comes across so much more real. It's just across the board better. How did analog ever fall out of favor? 

Edit: I did initially have some hum. After investigating, I found out that the power cables for my Schiit Mani and RP1 were touching. Separated them and the hum disappeared. They're even still plugged in to the same power strip. Go figure!

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,747 of 3,585

Good on you.  There's something about analogue/vinyl.

Congratulations on your journey.

regular_smile .gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #2,748 of 3,585
That level of randomness combined with the fact that the noise occurs with multiple setups certainly seems to indicate something going on with the incoming AC power. That Belkin is a very basic surge protector with very basic AC noise filtering. It's possible that a true AC line conditioner might help. You might also try to find a PS Audio Humbuster. I'm not sure that they still make them, but a used one would obviously be fine. I use one to isolate my CATV power from the rest of my system with good results.

The cyclical nature of the hum sounds like an AC issue, I had this happen in the past.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #2,750 of 3,585
  Welp after a nice demo session I ended up with the RP1 with performance pack. The standard RP1 sounds nice but you can definitely hear the difference with the performance pack. Which I'm betting mostly comes down to the Rega Bias cartridge.

I decided to put on Smashing Pumpkin's Adore first, 180g mastered from the original tapes. I chose it because I've listened to the CD innumerable times. 3 songs in to the album and I knew this is what I wanted. I'm trying real hard to not use all the hyperbole that hi-fi/head-fi loves to use; but the sound just comes across so much more real. It's just across the board better. How did analog ever fall out of favor? 

Edit: I did initially have some hum. After investigating, I found out that the power cables for my Schiit Mani and RP1 were touching. Separated them and the hum disappeared. They're even still plugged in to the same power strip. Go figure!

Good for you !

You provided your own answer to your own question regarding why analog ever fell out of favor - it is not nearly as idiot proof as digital. Cabling will always be an issue with low voltage sources as phono catridges - and although these wires do not need to be expensive, they do not tolerate lying close by/parallel to other cables.It is a trial and error within any given real world system - and it is difficult to reproduce either the error with greatest disturbance or quietest performance if you (re)move anything.

Like it or not - analog is more expensive than digital, which lately did achieve the position of being budget king of the hill.

Getting hum/interference free performance with analog is a bit more tricky - it DOES matter exactly where grounding is connected, etc - just as this exact ground point is important on sensitive electronic printed circuit boards - they are *exactly* there - for a reason.

Enjoy your analog journey !

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #2,751 of 3,585
Okay I've got a maybe unusual one.

I've heard all about ground loop hum and how to take care of it. So when I heard some humming I started looking for the usual suspects. Then I realized it was singing; but the needle was DEFINITELY NOT on the record. After calming my fear that I might be hearing satanic verses in my vinyl, I turned the volume up. It is a local pop FM station somehow being picked up by the phono cartridge. If I shield it with my hand it blocks some of it. It's not audible when playing though.

Thoughts on how I might stop this?

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,752 of 3,585

I've heard all about ground loop hum and how to take care of it. So when I heard some humming I started looking for the usual suspects. Then I realized it was singing; but the needle was DEFINITELY NOT on the record. After calming my fear that I might be hearing satanic verses in my vinyl, I turned the volume up. It is a local pop FM station somehow being picked up by the phono cartridge. If I shield it with my hand it blocks some of it. It's not audible when playing though.

I would imagine it is more likely that it is your ground cable acting as an FM antennae.  I could be completely wrong, and I have no idea what the fix would be

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,753 of 3,585

Please read my previous posts - the fact that ERA did not go berserk but Projects did means that grounding IS NOT DONE PROPERLY. Star ground works the best - minimum you will need is an ohmmeter/DMM to check the real state of affairs. 

TC-750 can turn into a mighty good radio if phono wiring is less than optimal - and can be dead quiet if done right. Cart/wiring acts as an antenna - and only super dedicated phono inputs ( THE prince of the lot in this regard is AGI 511 A/H ) do not "care" for the susceptibility to radio (even FAR above FM band ) - all normal ones have to be presented with RFI free audio signal. There is only one correct way to bring the single ended signal from the cart to the phono input - and one that is usually not adhered to due to slightly more complicated layout or completely ignored due to some "magical" properties of audiophile cables - which forgot the basics in the process of obtaining their "magic". 

OLD story - very old indeed. Remember - if it hums - or you can hear radio - even MOST FAINTLY, with arm lifted up fdrom the record, not while playing - it is
NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. Turntable can sound almost as "black" as digital - once experienced, there will be zero tolerance for hum and/or RFI !

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,754 of 3,585

I get hum if I connect my Audiomods Series V to my Allnic...go figure

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,755 of 3,585
Please read my previous posts - the fact that ERA did not go berserk but Projects did means that grounding IS NOT DONE PROPERLY. Star ground works the best - minimum you will need is an ohmmeter/DMM to check the real state of affairs. 

TC-750 can turn into a mighty good radio if phono wiring is less than optimal - and can be dead quiet if done right. Cart/wiring acts as an antenna - and only super dedicated phono inputs ( THE prince of the lot in this regard is AGI 511 A/H ) do not "care" for the susceptibility to radio (even FAR above FM band ) - all normal ones have to be presented with RFI free audio signal. There is only one correct way to bring the single ended signal from the cart to the phono input - and one that is usually not adhered to due to slightly more complicated layout or completely ignored due to some "magical" properties of audiophile cables - which forgot the basics in the process of obtaining their "magic". 

OLD story - very old indeed. Remember - if it hums - or you can hear radio - even MOST FAINTLY, with arm lifted up fdrom the record, not while playing - it is
NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. Turntable can sound almost as "black" as digital - once experienced, there will be zero tolerance for hum and/or RFI !
Yeah I get very faint left channel him when the cart is off the record too. To its defense its in a power strip with my PC and monitor right now. (Audio rack hasn't shown up yet.) It does go away when playing though. Shown by the black background between tracks.

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,758 of 3,585
Oct 21, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #2,759 of 3,585
Here's this when you actually want to listen to satanic rituals

http://tinyurl.com/kxmgjol
Look up the Swedish band Ghost (Ghost B.C. If you're in the US). If you like rock with a flair for the theatrically Satanic, you'll love Ghost. I kid you not their music is fantastically produced and performed. Just as good live as on a record. I'd suggest listening to their song Year Zero to get a feel for their style.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2,760 of 3,585
Look up the Swedish band Ghost (Ghost B.C. If you're in the US). If you like rock with a flair for the theatrically Satanic, you'll love Ghost. I kid you not their music is fantastically produced and performed. Just as good live as on a record. I'd suggest listening to their song Year Zero to get a feel for their style.

Yeah, Ghost is an experience.  Secular Haze is pretty great, and the video is creepy as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back