TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,056 of 3,585
Originally Posted by shipsupt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have two wires from my Hydraulic Reference table.  I get best results attaching the ground from the tone arm cables but not the chassis ground.  

I agree, every installation is slightly different of course...

Does your signature suggest an Atlantic crossing 16 February?
popcorn.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,059 of 3,585
Ok guys I have solved my issues and have been listening for an hour or so and am very happy with my first venture into vinyl.  I used to be known as a digital man, but at the very least I find both very different and very enjoyable.  Analogue is an entire beast of its own in the music world and the imperfections and warmth adds a ton of character and enjoyability to the experience.

I am very happy with my setup right now (Marantz TT15s1, CA 651P, Woo Audio WA2, HD 800's).  Thanks for all of the help guys!  Ill post my problems and solutions below so that maybe I can help another like myself.

Problems: Loud humming/buzzing that got louder when I touched almost anywhere on the TT.  I have a lot of things that could have caused this, so basically there are a lot of variables and trying to fix other problems could (and might have) created more. 

Solutions: Well I can't narrow the exact solution to one thing to be honest, but I can tell you everything I did do.  Most of the things were the advice from others on this forum.  So basically, because of the buzzing, I kind of thought it to be either a grounding problem, or maybe other devices/objects causing problems.  Now I do have a great power conditioner that I have relied on for a little bit now (Panamax M4300-PM), so I figured that I would make sure to only plug in the TT, Preamp and Amp into the conditioner so that hopefully this would eliminate or at least help with other devices dirtying up the audio.  Well it did help with a little of the humming, but it was still really loud and like I said previously - It would get louder when I touched the chassis.  So I came to the obvious conclusion that this was in fact a grounding problem.

I tried separating the two ground wires (one on my conditioners ground lug and the other on the preamp) and I also tried grounding only one then the other.  None of this worked as well as it needed to so I tried one final thing.  I noticed on the preamp the ground lug didn't seem that solid.  It wasn't flat, it was spiked and the overall construction wasn't great, just plastic with a little metal.  What I did was take off the lug from my conditioner and then replace the one that came on my preamp.  It is a larger, gold plated and heavy lug and I put both grounds to it and screwed it in very tight.  After doing this, I turned everything on and voilà!  No hum whatsoever (dead silence) and it plays beautifully.  

I tried a lot of things to fix this.  I was kind of lost because this was my first turntable experience.  I didn't mention some things I tried like changing RCA cables, changing out power cables, and a bunch of other things.  

This was my first table and it sounds beautiful.  A much different sound than my computer or CD player could give and overall I am very pleased.  

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,060 of 3,585
That's great news. No doubt it was that last step that did the trick. The poor grounding post just wasn't doing the job. Very cool! Glad you're happily spinning away :D

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #2,063 of 3,585

Yes, and thank you and all the others for your help. 

I am happy that you can start (re?)discovering analog vynil. 

It depends on the condition of the records, on the vintage of the recordings, etc - and if these encompass things from far flung corners of this earth, if they cover decades, the mere journey through this time machine can be extremely interesting and rewarding. 

Enjoy!

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,064 of 3,585
a hair off topic but I had to share:

“The guy’s wife found a receipt for one of his LPs, and tried to set fire to his collection,” he says.

The world’s most dangerous hobbies: Skydiving. Mountain climbing. Audiophilia.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/wired-life-audiophile/

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,065 of 3,585

“The guy’s wife found a receipt for one of his LPs, and tried to set fire to his collection,” he says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs  "dangerous confessions" starting at 06:16 - and it gets ever more dangerous; common sense, discretion, etc is HIGHLY advised in these matters ...

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2,066 of 3,585

Which is why I don't bother with expensive d/a converters

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #2,067 of 3,585
yesterday i received my pre amp in the mail, and now i'm looking for a very short RCA cable, to connect the line out on the pre amp to the line in on my headphone amp.

something like these, but maybe with a 90 degree angle:

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,069 of 3,585
Jan 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #2,070 of 3,585
  yesterday i received my pre amp in the mail, and now i'm looking for a very short RCA cable, to connect the line out on the pre amp to the line in on my headphone amp.

something like these, but maybe with a 90 degree angle:

Designated in/outs... bahahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back