TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jan 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,072 of 3,585
Hi all! I'm making my entry into vintage turntables with a Pioneer PL-71. Any suggestions for inexpensive cartridges that mate well with this table (& original arm)? Other tips from folks that have used a PL-71 would be welcomed as well. Thanks!

(It's a FleaBay deal and won't actually be here until next week.)

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,073 of 3,585
Hi all! I'm making my entry into vintage turntables with a Pioneer PL-71. Any suggestions for inexpensive cartridges that mate well with this table (& original arm)? Other tips from folks that have used a PL-71 would be welcomed as well. Thanks!

(It's a FleaBay deal and won't actually be here until next week.)

it depends on your definition of inexpensive. Hard to beat the Shure M97xe. I gave one to my brother-in-law for Christmas for his pl-55dx. Sounded great!

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389987567&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+m97

I also have an AT 311EP thats good for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZUN1O/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,074 of 3,585
it depends on your definition of inexpensive. Hard to beat the Shure M97xe. I gave one to my brother-in-law for Christmas for his pl-55dx. Sounded great!

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389987567&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+m97

Thanks! Now that I think about it, I have an M97xe NIB at home. Got it for my Tech 1200 but decided to stick with Denons (103R and 160).

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,075 of 3,585
Hey gang -

I'm looking to get back in the analog game... I don't really have the space for it, but I do have the itch, so... y'know how that goes. I'm going higher-end than I've gone before, which will mean making my own package. My plan, as of right now, is to get a refurb Sapphire from Sota, with a Jelco 750. Here's where some questions come into play, which I'll discuss with Sota as well, but figured I'd get a head start on here...

First, I think I've done all my math right, but a Jelco 750, and an Ortofon MC-3 Turbo on a lightweight Ortofon headshell should match up alright, eh?

Second - the 750 comes in 9, 10, 12" varieties. Any opinions on where to go here?

I think that's about it for now, actually. This will be in the coming months, not immediate, but hopefully I'll keep people updated through the process... Thanks!

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,076 of 3,585
  Hey gang -

I'm looking to get back in the analog game... I don't really have the space for it, but I do have the itch, so... y'know how that goes. I'm going higher-end than I've gone before, which will mean making my own package. My plan, as of right now, is to get a refurb Sapphire from Sota, with a Jelco 750. Here's where some questions come into play, which I'll discuss with Sota as well, but figured I'd get a head start on here...

First, I think I've done all my math right, but a Jelco 750, and an Ortofon MC-3 Turbo on a lightweight Ortofon headshell should match up alright, eh?

Second - the 750 comes in 9, 10, 12" varieties. Any opinions on where to go here?

I think that's about it for now, actually. This will be in the coming months, not immediate, but hopefully I'll keep people updated through the process... Thanks!

I would STRONGLY recommend refurbished Star instead of Sapphire.

Reason? Vacuum hold down system. It is the single most influental difference in the vinyl replay. No matter what arm and cart you will end up using on the SOTA - getting (refurbished) Sapphire instead of Star would not be too far removed from false economy. 

I will trot out the old slogan of Tandberg from their best days:

Quality remains long after the price has been forgotten.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,078 of 3,585
Jan 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,080 of 3,585
  I would STRONGLY recommend refurbished Star instead of Sapphire.

Reason? Vacuum hold down system. It is the single most influental difference in the vinyl replay. No matter what arm and cart you will end up using on the SOTA - getting (refurbished) Sapphire instead of Star would not be too far removed from false economy. 

I will trot out the old slogan of Tandberg from their best days:

Quality remains long after the price has been forgotten.

While I get it… I really don't have the space, nor the desire to deal with the pump box, additional clutter, etc… Plus, while I realize the value of a vacuum platter… it's a pretty major price jump. I also know that if I buy into Sota, I have an upgrade path… So if my situation ever changes (though I hope to never have more space!), I know there are upgrade/trade-in options. I appreciate the advice, and I've thought pretty hard about it… I just don't think that's where I'm at right now.

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,081 of 3,585
Finally got my UTURN! 

Few things, mainly not about the Orbit. 
i dont really like the Shure SFG-2. I get different readings depending on how I put the stylus on which makes me want a digital one. 
Is everyone's table level? Because I think I need adjustable feet.
Lastly, buying records (specifically online) is such a game of chance... A few of my brand new unopened records are uber warped... :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

I hope I'm not coming off an analog hater. I'm so happy that it finally came and I've been spinning vinyl all day! Through Pioneer FS-52 if anyone is curious.
Also I am very happy that my AQ carbon fiber brush does not seem to leave behind bristles. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #2,082 of 3,585
  While I get it… I really don't have the space, nor the desire to deal with the pump box, additional clutter, etc… Plus, while I realize the value of a vacuum platter… it's a pretty major price jump. I also know that if I buy into Sota, I have an upgrade path… So if my situation ever changes (though I hope to never have more space!), I know there are upgrade/trade-in options. I appreciate the advice, and I've thought pretty hard about it… I just don't think that's where I'm at right now.

certainly understand where are you coming from - space constraints ARE the hardest thing in audio.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #2,083 of 3,585
  Finally got my UTURN! 

i dont really like the Shure SFG-2. I get different readings depending on how I put the stylus on which makes me want a digital one. 
Lastly, buying records (specifically online) is such a game of chance... A few of my brand new unopened records are uber warped... :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

I hope I'm not coming off an analog hater. I'm so happy that it finally came and I've been spinning vinyl all day! Through Pioneer FS-52 if anyone is curious.
Also I am very happy that my AQ carbon fiber brush does not seem to leave behind bristles. 

Finally - an Orbit in flesh, by a "confirmed" customer. How was/is the first impression while unboxing, does it inspire confidence it is something that will serve you well into reasonable future or is it "...little bit chintzy, but it's nicely displayed..." ( quote from Zappa's song Flakes http://www.metrolyrics.com/flakes-lyrics-frank-zappa.html , from the Sheik Yerbouty  album ) - I deliberately left out, being from Europe, the words just preceeding the quoted part 
wink_face.gif
 . How it is in operation - and how does it SOUND ?

The Shure SFG 2 issue is an old one - that is why I am using Transcriptors Stylus Scales, which even in its prime years commanded VERY high price, exceedeing some lower priced tonearms on the market back then - and you can consider yourself lucky if you are able to buy it today in hig(ish) two digit but more likely low three digit price in $/Euro. It is better (less friction/stiction/ambiguity) than any air bearing arm that has to rely on wiring in order to bring the signal from cartridge to the outside world ...
But still, Shure SFG2 can be used and if you take an average reading out of say five, it will still give you more accurate result than most digital scales - they are mostly simply too thick and will measure at incorrect height, giving you false reading.

Wish I could say that placing an uber warped LP on the platter 5 times would bring the desired result ...

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #2,084 of 3,585
  Finally got my UTURN! 

You should DEFINATELY level your table. That is a must. and no matter what ANYONE tells you a digital scale will be more accurate than the Shure scale - you just have to use it properly and at the same level as the platter (not hard to do). A digital scale measures to a 1/100th of a gram and can be properly zeroed out.. Shure scale is accurate to 1/10th of a gram + or - 2/10ths which is a pretty wide window and will be affected by things such as TABLE LEVEL
deadhorse.gif

Also ..do not level your table by checking the plinth. You do it on the platter at the outer edges (12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock). Why the platter and not the plinth ? Because if there is any discrepancy in the platter to the plinth, it will not be accounted for accurately. SO you could level the table but put the level on the platter and find out you are off.

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #2,085 of 3,585

You should DEFINATELY level your table. That is a must. and no matter what ANYONE tells you a digital scale will be more accurate than the Shure scale - you just have to use it properly and at the same level as the platter (not hard to do). A digital scale measures to a 1/100th of a gram and can be properly zeroed out.. Shure scale is accurate to 1/10th of a gram + or - 2/10ths which is a pretty wide window and will be affected by things such as TABLE LEVEL
deadhorse.gif

Also ..do not level your table by checking the plinth. You do it on the platter at the outer edges (12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock). Why the platter and not the plinth ? Because if there is any discrepancy in the platter to the plinth, it will not be accounted for accurately. SO you could level the table but put the level on the platter and find out you are off.

I agree leveling the Orbit is a must - because of the unipivot tonearm. 

I stopped careing about exact vertical tracking force long ago - it has to track real test (and later music ) records correctly first, at the least VTF/antiskating that will do the trick. I merely check the VTF arrived at using test record(s)  is within - or SLIGHTLY - above manufacturer's recomended range; I never adjust for say 1.8 gram EXACTLY.
Although there are carts specified at 2 g + - 0.05 gram VTF, AND that does hold true - by the time anyone reaches that kind of level ( and price...), real world experience
will lead you more or less to the path described above. Unless you can afford burning a large enough hole in your pocket to allow for so precisely made cart that you can actually achieve best performance with the manufacturer's recommended setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back