TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jan 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #2,086 of 3,585
Just found this: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/capital-audio-fest-2013-spruces-itself-up/
Nice: ultrasonic RCMs are getting in the accesible price range, first were 4k+ devices, although this one at 1K5 is not cheap, it is much more affordable to more people.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #2,087 of 3,585
  Finally - an Orbit in flesh, by a "confirmed" customer. How was/is the first impression while unboxing, does it inspire confidence it is something that will serve you well into reasonable future or is it "...little bit chintzy, but it's nicely displayed..." ( quote from Zappa's song Flakes http://www.metrolyrics.com/flakes-lyrics-frank-zappa.html , from the Sheik Yerbouty  album ) - I deliberately left out, being from Europe, the words just preceeding the quoted part 
wink_face.gif
 . How it is in operation - and how does it SOUND ?

The Shure SFG 2 issue is an old one - that is why I am using Transcriptors Stylus Scales, which even in its prime years commanded VERY high price, exceedeing some lower priced tonearms on the market back then - and you can consider yourself lucky if you are able to buy it today in hig(ish) two digit but more likely low three digit price in $/Euro. It is better (less friction/stiction/ambiguity) than any air bearing arm that has to rely on wiring in order to bring the signal from cartridge to the outside world ...
But still, Shure SFG2 can be used and if you take an average reading out of say five, it will still give you more accurate result than most digital scales - they are mostly simply too thick and will measure at incorrect height, giving you false reading.

Wish I could say that placing an uber warped LP on the platter 5 times would bring the desired result ...

I wish I could accurately answer you questions but this is literally the first turntable I have ever used.. IMO build quality seems pretty good, much much better than most headphones :p It has that nice clean Rega look, simple on off switch and only has a tracking force adjustment. The tracking force is supposed to be pre-adjusted but I found it to be horribly off. Adjusting it is simple enough but I wish the weight would slide with a lot less friction. 
Subjectively, I think it sounds great. It seems a bit boomy and warm but that may be due to either speaker or records being so warped (really bummed about that). I guess I need to play with the SFG a bit more~

You should DEFINATELY level your table. That is a must. and no matter what ANYONE tells you a digital scale will be more accurate than the Shure scale - you just have to use it properly and at the same level as the platter (not hard to do). A digital scale measures to a 1/100th of a gram and can be properly zeroed out.. Shure scale is accurate to 1/10th of a gram + or - 2/10ths which is a pretty wide window and will be affected by things such as TABLE LEVEL
deadhorse.gif

Also ..do not level your table by checking the plinth. You do it on the platter at the outer edges (12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock). Why the platter and not the plinth ? Because if there is any discrepancy in the platter to the plinth, it will not be accounted for accurately. SO you could level the table but put the level on the platter and find out you are off.

So unless everyone has perfectly level tables, stands, houses, they should be using adjustable spikes? Most aftermarket "feet" are not adjustable aside from the daytons so I wasn't sure how important it was. Yes I "did" level the table with the level on the platter (center and edges). Thanks for the tips.

I agree leveling the Orbit is a must - because of the unipivot tonearm. 

I stopped careing about exact vertical tracking force long ago - it has to track real test (and later music ) records correctly first, at the least VTF/antiskating that will do the trick. I merely check the VTF arrived at using test record(s)  is within - or SLIGHTLY - above manufacturer's recomended range; I never adjust for say 1.8 gram EXACTLY.
Although there are carts specified at 2 g + - 0.05 gram VTF, AND that does hold true - by the time anyone reaches that kind of level ( and price...), real world experience
will lead you more or less to the path described above. Unless you can afford burning a large enough hole in your pocket to allow for so precisely made cart that you can actually achieve best performance with the manufacturer's recommended setting.

I see. Question: Is it okay at the Orbit does not allow for all the adjustments on a cartridge? such as azimuth, anti-skate, etc. Sorry I dont know too much about unipivot arms if that isnt obvious by now.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #2,088 of 3,585

I wish I could accurately answer you questions but this is literally the first turntable I have ever used.. IMO build quality seems pretty good, much much better than most headphones :p It has that nice clean Rega look, simple on off switch and only has a tracking force adjustment. The tracking force is supposed to be pre-adjusted but I found it to be horribly off. Adjusting it is simple enough but I wish the weight would slide with a lot less friction. 
Subjectively, I think it sounds great. It seems a bit boomy and warm but that may be due to either speaker or records being so warped (really bummed about that). I guess I need to play with the SFG a bit more~

So unless everyone has perfectly level tables, stands, houses, they should be using adjustable spikes? Most aftermarket "feet" are not adjustable aside from the daytons so I wasn't sure how important it was. Yes I "did" level the table with the level on the platter (center and edges). Thanks for the tips.

I see. Question: Is it okay at the Orbit does not allow for all the adjustments on a cartridge? such as azimuth, anti-skate, etc. Sorry I dont know too much about unipivot arms if that isnt obvious by now.

U-Turn chose to include bare bones adjustments - wisely so. No antiskate as of present, but any unipivot DOES allow for the azimuth adjustment - by manipulating the offset of the counterweight. Contrary to the directions in http://uturnaudio.com/orbit-setup, it should be possible to adjust azimuth by rotating the counterweight SLIGHTLY in either direction, as required, and NOT leaving it in straigt down position. Principle is the same for any unipivot arm - from the inexpensive Orbit up to (and beyond) Morch DP-8 http://www.moerch.dk/DP8.htm . Only precision and repeatability of this adjustment will tend to increase with price; but even Orbit should be possible to adjust perfectly for azimuth with a bit more effort.

You will learn about unipivots along the way; I guess Orbit will introduce antiskating either as aftermarket soluton to the existing tables or as Mk2 version in the future; what should not escape to the ears of the listeners is the dynamic range and freedom from arm bearing troubles, regardless of their knowledge of unipivot arms. It is inherent in the unipivot design - and at the price point, they could not have made better decision. Unipivots do require a bit more understanding and care on the part of the user - but it more than pays of. 

Enjoy yours !

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #2,091 of 3,585
  With no music playing, how audible is the pump in action?

Not terribly (though, one must realize Sota has been making the same basic decks for some time, and I'd be surprised if all vintages & states of refurb/update were equal!). The one I experienced, the pump was tucked away — it was loud enough for the owner to wish it tucked away, but quiet enough that casually tucking it in the vicinity of the table was all it took to make it tolerable. Myself, of the baggage that comes with the pump — noise would be the least of my concerns! Also, the pump turns on with the platter… so for the most part, there isn't pump noise w/o music. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #2,092 of 3,585
  Not terribly (though, one must realize Sota has been making the same basic decks for some time, and I'd be surprised if all vintages & states of refurb/update were equal!). The one I experienced, the pump was tucked away — it was loud enough for the owner to wish it tucked away, but quiet enough that casually tucking it in the vicinity of the table was all it took to make it tolerable. Myself, of the baggage that comes with the pump — noise would be the least of my concerns! Also, the pump turns on with the platter… so for the most part, there isn't pump noise w/o music. 

This is about as correct and honest answer to the question as humanly possible. GREAT job ! 

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #2,093 of 3,585
Hi guys,

I am still loving my Marantz TT and have really enjoyed using it and the vinyl I have purchased.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for a phono preamp?  I really would like to upgrade the one I have as it is by far the weakest link in my setup right now.

Here is currently what I am using - Marantz TT-15S1 -> Cambridge Audio 651P -> Woo Audio WA2 -> Senn HD800

I love warmth with my HD800's so maybe a good lush, warm phono preamp.  Any experiences and recommendations would be most welcome!

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #2,094 of 3,585
  Hi guys,

I am still loving my Marantz TT and have really enjoyed using it and the vinyl I have purchased.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for a phono preamp?  I really would like to upgrade the one I have as it is by far the weakest link in my setup right now.

Here is currently what I am using - Marantz TT-15S1 -> Cambridge Audio 651P -> Woo Audio WA2 -> Senn HD800

I love warmth with my HD800's so maybe a good lush, warm phono preamp.  Any experiences and recommendations would be most welcome!

Nice setup. An upgrade depends on your budget. If you are into DIY, I've heard great things about Bottlehead's offerings. My personal favorite phono preamp is the Leben RS-30EQ, which can be a little up in it's price. Project and Ortofon also make some great products as well.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #2,096 of 3,585
Hey all. Buying my girlfriend a record player setup.

Currently thinking: Orbit player, schiit preamp, a5+'s (already have these good to go).

That is a great starter table and setup. Keep the budget light and see that she likes vinyl, etc. Small recommendation though, if you can, get the upgrade cartridge for the Orbit. You don't need the acylic platter upgrade but you will hear a difference on the cart.

You are missing one piece. The Orbit (or any TT) is not line level. You either need a phono stage or an amp that has phono.

for what you a doing, a great inexpensive and awesome sounding phono stage is the ART DJ PRE II

http://www.amazon.com/ART-II-Preamplifier-Output-Switchable/dp/B000AJR482

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2,097 of 3,585
That is a great starter table and setup. Keep the budget light and see that she likes vinyl, etc. Small recommendation though, if you can, get the upgrade cartridge for the Orbit. You don't need the acylic platter upgrade but you will hear a difference on the cart.

You are missing one piece. The Orbit (or any TT) is not line level. You either need a phono stage or an amp that has phono.

for what you a doing, a great inexpensive and awesome sounding phono stage is the ART DJ PRE II

http://www.amazon.com/ART-II-Preamplifier-Output-Switchable/dp/B000AJR482

Thanks mate. Really appreciate the advice.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #2,098 of 3,585
>perfect level turntable

mine's under a 40 degree angle, and it works perfectly :p

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #2,099 of 3,585
Hell, you could turn it upside down and it'll still play! 
biggrin.gif
 Gotta love those Technics linear trackers!

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #2,100 of 3,585
  Hell, you could turn it upside down and it'll still play! 
biggrin.gif
 Gotta love those Technics linear trackers!

Not only that; it will track test record, 300 Hz @+18dB ( famous torture track on HFN record - provided that the cartridge is capable of tracking this level in the first place ), if you gently rotate it holding it in the air whatever direction/position you fancy and connecting cords will allow - without a hiccup ...

The first model from the series, the SL10, was headlined in the review at the time it appeared in italian magazine Suono:

Il primo giradischi Kamasutra - che souna in tutte le posizioni

Don't think it needs translation... - but the design is the most stable record tracker I am familiar with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back