Turntable Questions
Jul 18, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #46 of 67
Ah, thanks for the info. Yeah, I'll be grabbing the SL-1200 next month most likely, I lost not one, but two bids on ebay for one of those things and they weren't exactly in prestine condition.
rolleyes.gif

I figure I'll wait till next month (which is only in a few weeks) and nab one that has been treated a bit better. Regardless, I'll be putting together some of the equipment I need before hand, so this is helpful.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #47 of 67

Quote:
I lost not one, but two bids on ebay

This is just a personal tip mate but if I was you I'd not try to buy the cheapest one you can find.

They are pretty indestructible  but you really want one that hasn't been played out much, if at all, nor used in a club or shop.

Someone who has looked after one and ideally owned it from new will know it is more valuable and quite rightly expect a better price. Of course the blaggers on e-bay etc know that as well so keep looking until you find one described as pristine by a trustworthy seller. Then go for it and be prepared to pay a small premium. There are loads about and age isn't as important as usage history.  

Quote:
The Rega RB250 & RB300 seem to be very popular choices for tone arm upgrades.

Yes. Although therein lies a potential trap for the unwary. The Rega's are designed to cater to modern tastes in cartridges. Light, stiff, tapered, hard fixing. The Technics tonearm  is old school. Heavy(ish), more flexible, S-shaped, soft fixing. what that means in practice is that the ideal cartridge/phono pre amp combination for the vanilla Technics will be different from the one with the Rega tonearm mod. Could turn out expensive....

So an alternative upgrade path is to go to a traditional SME type arm such as the Jelco.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:
Ah, thanks for the info. Yeah, I'll be grabbing the SL-1200 next month most likely, I lost not one, but two bids on ebay for one of those things and they weren't exactly in prestine condition.
rolleyes.gif

I figure I'll wait till next month (which is only in a few weeks) and nab one that has been treated a bit better. Regardless, I'll be putting together some of the equipment I need before hand, so this is helpful.

I think you should strongly consider buying a used Linn LP12. On the advice of a few members here I called up my local dealer and asked if I could come in and take a listen. In short, the Linn LP12 is an incredible bargain. There are numerous add-ons and modifications that can be made, for hi fi purposes, the Linn LP12 has a strong following, its reputation for excelence may just exceed that of the Technics.

As for me, I'm strongly considering trading in my Pro-Ject RPM 1.3. Its a great deck but the Linn LP12 is a true hi fi masterpiece.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #49 of 67

Quote:
I also would lean against audiophile dogma, and toward getting the Technics.  Audiophile "wisdom" is that even cheap belt-drive turntables are the best option - and I don't agree.  When I was getting back into vinyl after not having a turntable for a couple of years in the mid 90's, I bought a cheap Pro-ject.  It did nothing for me at all.  But I didn't want to give up, so I bought a used late-80's Denon direct drive TT, the massive DP-59L.  And *WOW*.  The sound was light years ahead of the Pro-Ject, and the Denon cost me only about $150 more (it was a high-end deck in its day).

So while I have not heard the Technics, or the newer model Project or Music Halls, my general experience has led me to say go for the Technics.  I use an "audiophile-approved" belt-drive deck now - a VPI Scoutmaster - but that's a $2,500 deck.  Things are different in that price range.

Took your advice, I had to hear it for myself and confirmed it with my local dealer. The Pro-Ject entry level is very good and I would have been happy with it, that is until I found the Linn LP12, its in another league altogether.  

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 67
That is a great combo and exactly what I use also!  Denon DL160 > Technics SL-12xx > Cambridge 640p

BTW, there is no need to upgrade to a different tonearm on the SL-12xx.  At the most you might consider rewiring it and/or the dampening tray from KAB.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #51 of 67
The Technics and Rega RB250 / 300 are actually of pretty comparable mass but the Rega is far more structurally rigid so is capable of mounting really high end moving coils and it imparts less of it's own sound on the music.
A lot of people don't like the Rega "sound" granted although the upgraded Michell or Origin Live versions go a long way to iron out the rough edges which are mainly down to poor wiring.
For the price though nothing touches the Rega, it's streets ahead of the stock Technics arm. The other option mentioned the Jelco 250ST is better than the Jelco 250 S  / J shaped version which shares more of the vintage quality of a '70s arm, but if you want a proper high mass vintage design the Jelco 750 is the one to go for. It's more like a  poor mans Ikeda, and used to be sold as the Sumiko MMT back in the day.
A high mass arm really needs a good moving coil but the modern medium mass arms like the Rega will work with most modern moving magnets as well as moving coils.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #52 of 67
I am stupidly glad I didn't buy any tables in the past few days -- I stopped by a local audio store here in town that I must have passed by 100 times in my 15 years living here. I spoke with the guy who owned the shop for awhile, bought some cabinets and tweeters for a DIY Bookshelf speaker project I'm working on. In the middle of him showing me some of the coolest things I've ever seen in audio (including custom built speakers made for BBC fifteen to twenty years ago, they sounded amazing by the way) he shows me this turntable with some crazy boxes attached to it. It looks gorgeous, the woodwork is amazing and it looks great.

Turns out, it's a Sota Sapphire with the vaccum and a Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm attached to it. Thing was amazing. Retails for some $2400, he offered it to me, in fully working condition for $399. I took it. The only problem with it is the motor clicks because it hasn't been lubed properly. I'll pick it up Saturday and he'll show me how to lube the motor. I'm thrilled with the find, so excited I had to come here to brag.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #53 of 67
I am stupidly glad I didn't buy any tables in the past few days -- I stopped by a local audio store here in town that I must have passed by 100 times in my 15 years living here. I spoke with the guy who owned the shop for awhile, bought some cabinets and tweeters for a DIY Bookshelf speaker project I'm working on. In the middle of him showing me some of the coolest things I've ever seen in audio (including custom built speakers made for BBC fifteen to twenty years ago, they sounded amazing by the way) he shows me this turntable with some crazy boxes attached to it. It looks gorgeous, the woodwork is amazing and it looks great.

Turns out, it's a Sota Sapphire with the vaccum and a Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm attached to it. Thing was amazing. Retails for some $2400, he offered it to me, in fully working condition for $399. I took it. The only problem with it is the motor clicks because it hasn't been lubed properly. I'll pick it up Saturday and he'll show me how to lube the motor. I'm thrilled with the find, so excited I had to come here to brag.

Trying to figure out what cart to pair with it.

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #54 of 67
Congrats! You got yourself a good table. Spend a little time reading up on the cartridges, but I'd recommend going with an inexpensive one at first. Something like a Grado, Shure or Denon, just so you can get the hang of mounting and aligning a cartridge. Then give it a listen and try to get a feel for the pros and cons of it, which will help you make an intelligent decision of where to go next.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #56 of 67
I have yet to pick it up! I'm so excited. I'll probably dedicate an entire thread to that sucker once I pick it up on Aug 2nd or so. It's the version with the vacuum seal, I'm pretty excited about getting it running. I'll be sure to let you guys know. I'd love to hear it with a Ortofon 2M if you have any spares, >.>

I'm kidding, but I'll definitely post something soon.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #57 of 67
Sumiko MMT is an ancestor of the Jelco 750. Nice arm. I'd go for a Denon 103, perfect for a higher mass vintage style arm like this.

Also you can probably order a new motor from Sota who are still very much in existence. It won't be cheap though these days. If funds are tight and you are any use at DIY just swop out the motor yourself.

These motors are pretty inexpensive Airpax / Premotec /Phillips  type industrial components which you can find on the web for under 50USD from the manufacturers.

You should also lubricate the main bearing if it's not been used in while. Synthetic motor oil is ta popular option here but any light machine oil will do.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #58 of 67
My turntable experience was quite similar.  About 8 years ago when I was getting back into vinyl after a brief hiatus, I bought an entry level "hi-fi" belt-drive deck, a Pro-Ject.  I was really unimpressed.  The sound was indeed flat and lifeless.  I then bought a Denon DP-59L, a big Japanese direct-drive TT, and was blown away how good the sound was.

I've since gone to a VPI Scoutmaster, which betters the Denon, but the point is I had to go WAY up in price to beat the Denon.  I'm sure the SL1200-mk2 is the same way.

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #59 of 67
Well the motor doesn't need replacing, just lubing. Shouldn't be a huge issue. I understand that is the reason its clicking, but if it isn't, it's good that it can be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back