Turbine Coppers + Amp?
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NonApplicable

100+ Head-Fier
I know very little about headphone quality and purchased my Turbine Pro Coppers based on opinions off this site. So far I am very happy with how they sound and cannot go back! I am wondering if I am able to make it sound better with a portable amp and if the sound difference will be significant enough to warrant a purchase. I am using a Zune HD to power my headphones atm, but am looking to get a Cowon D3 soon. My price rage is around $100. Thanks in advance.

BTW if it matters, I mainly listen to the metal genre.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Soundmagic A10 or a used T3, I suppose.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the response. In your opinion how much does a amp improve your listening experience? Is there anyplace I may be able to try portable amps out? I really would like to confident that an amp won't be a waste of money.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, I certainly love the improvement with my Minibox-E+, they give all of my headphones/earphones more body, control, bass presence and impact, bigger soundstage and improved imaging, more separation and definition, but I'm not sure how much those amps will do.  Overall it is not a massive difference, just many small improvements but it depends on how good your amp is, not just your earphones.
My Fiio E5, for example, doesn't really do much unlike the Minibox.  The T3 is probably your best bet at that price range.

I wouldn't know of any place where you can try out amps.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Are amps used for amplifying sound specifically and as a second function improving sound. If so, what would be the benefit of boosting sound using a amp rather than a Ipod or Zune.

in easy word, amp boost the "power"(electric) input into your headphone. giving it more juice, and making the signals more pure, less static
noticeble sign is "louder" because of more power

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 13
They're for both.
Better and louder sound through greater output electrical voltage and current plus signal conditioning.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 13
I demoed the fio e7 with my coppers; found the sound fuller and louder and the bass has more impact. To me, definitely an improvement in sound.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 13
1) Are these head phones sensitive? They have a 108 Db and 32 Ohm, and I keep hearing conflicting reports that they do improve much with amps because of the low power required to drive them.

2) In fact, many websites and articles are saying that most IEMs benefit very little from amps because good PMPs have more than enough power to boost IEMs. Is this true?

3) I am upgrading to Cowon D3 from a Zune HD in about a weeks time. Is it possible the better driver within the Cowon will eliminate the need for amp or decrease the improvement of an amp on the Turbines? 

4) In your opinions, is the price, portability decrease, ect, worth the sound increase from a Fiio E7 or Ibasso T3?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm no audiophile and I want to make sure I make the right decisions.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I know very little about headphone quality and purchased my Turbine Pro Coppers based on opinions off this site. So far I am very happy with how they sound and cannot go back! I am wondering if I am able to make it sound better with a portable amp and if the sound difference will be significant enough to warrant a purchase. I am using a Zune HD to power my headphones atm, but am looking to get a Cowon D3 soon. My price rage is around $100. Thanks in advance.

BTW if it matters, I mainly listen to the metal genre.

Quote:
Use T3, it significantly fixes the quality of the sound, especially the warmth of the sound

Yes. I bought an ibasso T3 and they are great with the coppers, particularly for lower volume listening. Well worth it.

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
1) Are these head phones sensitive? They have a 108 Db and 32 Ohm, and I keep hearing conflicting reports that they do improve much with amps because of the low power required to drive them.

2) In fact, many websites and articles are saying that most IEMs benefit very little from amps because good PMPs have more than enough power to boost IEMs. Is this true?

3) I am upgrading to Cowon D3 from a Zune HD in about a weeks time. Is it possible the better driver within the Cowon will eliminate the need for amp or decrease the improvement of an amp on the Turbines? 

4) In your opinions, is the price, portability decrease, ect, worth the sound increase from a Fiio E7 or Ibasso T3?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm no audiophile and I want to make sure I make the right decisions.

1) They're actually 18-ohm, or so my multimeter said.  Low impedance plus sensitivity >98 dB/mw makes them quite sensitive and efficient.

2) MTPC is transparent and analytical, so yes, the better the gear you plug them into, the better they sound.

3) That player's amp may be better than the Zune's but it will not be on par with the T3 or other better external amps.

4) Skip Fiios if you can.  E7 ~= E5, so I'd say E7 won't be worthwhile with MTPC + D3 unless you want a USB DAC as well.

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for everyones input! I purchased a ibasso T3. I was torn between the T3 and the T3D but in could not justify spending the extra cash for a worse sounding amp. I know that the difference is to do with digital controlled sound, but I don't know the benefit of that. How does not having digital controlled sound affect the T3 in comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back