Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #1,187 of 3,653
I have Noir Hybrid for all my headphones. For Audio-Technica I bought the copper one, Noir HPC MK2 because those are brighter. I quite miss my ATH-AWAS, sadly I've returned them but they had something special.
Have you tried the ath-adx5000? It's open back and very light. Maybe it's the headphone for you.

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #1,188 of 3,653
Have you tried the ath-adx5000? It's open back and very light. Maybe it's the headphone for you.
I owned a pair of ATH-ADX5000 and sold it when I bought the Verite Open. It is indeed very light and comfortable (well, some might experience problems with the headband but for me it was fine). It is a kind of HD800 on steroids, more detailed, analytical with wide soundstage, very neutral and natural sounding. For classical or jazz it is perfect, but for me was a little bit bright. It is indeed a very good headphone, well, if you exchange fast the cable which is awful, long, not flexible and microphonic. And the connectors are proprietary (A2DC or something). So even a custom cable was not easy to find.

I guess the perfect headphone for me does not exist. So I'll wait for it to be built by someone.

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,189 of 3,653
Listening to some heavy metal during evening. The new track of UDO sounds like AC/DC LOL.

Some nice combo for this:

Telefunken.jpg

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #1,190 of 3,653
To Rock or to Bock? That is the question in Tallinn.

Rock.jpg

I've went to a local store to check some local beers. At first, I was looking at name, price, quantity and trying to read about it, when seeing a beer with ROCK on the name I've just bought some. Marketing done right, if ROCK is the name I buy it without questions asked. I did not care about price or quantity. Same with audio, some builders just make you upgrade. Right or wrong? Well, for rock I'll never ask questions.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #1,192 of 3,653
I'll start talking about my tube rolling journey on Odyssey here. One combination a week. Should finished in a year's time. :wink:

First combination is shown in the picture. Right in the centre in front is the GE branded 5691 made by RCA. It's a 6SL7 equivalent. Flanking it is a pair of Siemens branded EL11 made by Telefunken. These are the alternative drivers to the 6SL7 and they are pentodes but used as strapped triodes here. Right behind the GE 5691 is the Mullard 5u4g made in USA. It's probably a Sylvania or a RCA and it's of the hanging filament type. Flanking the 5u4g rectifer is a pair of La Radiotechnique (RT) EL39 power tubes.

Both EL11 and 5691 are crystal clear and revealing. I almost like them equally but have just a slight preference on the EL11. The RT EL39 are famous for their bass but I find that it is equally glorious in their mids and high frequencies. Very special tubes indeed and could be my favourite of the lot in my chest.

This review is based on using EL11 with EL39 and the 5u4g on duty. Sound is tight and bass is deep and weighted. Nice tempo and fast transients. It's unusual to get crystal clear top end and a lush yet tight tone. Coupled with the best bass on the planet that is tight and controlled, it's an addictive tone. Everything that you long for in a nice tube tone is here but it's never flabby or loose. Mark Knopfler's guitar magic is crazily good on these. These deserved to be heard, especially on Odyssey because it's that good.

For point of reference, I am using Yggdrasil and He1000se and also LCD4 for this listening session and that will be the case in all subsequent tube combination showcase.

I'll give the EL11 and EL39 a score of 9.9 out of 10. Why not 10? Because I'm mean. :wink:

IMG_3061.jpg

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,193 of 3,653
I'll start talking about my tube rolling journey on Odyssey here. One combination a week. Should finished in a year's time. :wink:

First combination is shown in the picture. Right in the centre in front is the GE branded 5691 made by RCA. It's a 6SL7 equivalent. Flanking it is a pair of Siemens branded EL11 made by Telefunken. These are the alternative drivers to the 6SL7 and they are pentodes but used as strapped triodes here. Right behind the GE 5691 is the Mullard 5u4g made in USA. It's probably a Sylvania or a RCA and it's of the hanging filament type. Flanking the 5u4g rectifer is a pair of La Radiotechnique (RT) EL39 power tubes.

Both EL11 and 5691 are crystal clear and revealing. I almost like them equally but have just a slight preference on the EL11. The RT EL39 are famous for their bass but I find that it is equally glorious in their mids and high frequencies. Very special tubes indeed and could be my favourite of the lot in my chest.

This review is based on using EL11 with EL39 and the 5u4g on duty. Sound is tight and bass is deep and weighted. Nice tempo and fast transients. It's unusual to get crystal clear top end and a lush yet tight tone. Coupled with the best bass on the planet that is tight and controlled, it's an addictive tone. Everything that you long for in a nice tube tone is here but it's never flabby or loose. Mark Knopfler's guitar magic is crazily good on these. These deserved to be heard, especially on Odyssey because it's that good.

For point of reference, I am using Yggdrasil and He1000se and also LCD4 for this listening session and that will be the case in all subsequent tube combination showcase.

I'll give the EL11 and EL39 a score of 9.9 out of 10. Why not 10? Because I'm mean. :wink:

IMG_3061.jpg
Very nice amp the sockets, the transformers and the design are amazing :)
I'm also very pleased with this combination on Eternity. Dis you tried to power your speaker with the same combination ?

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #1,194 of 3,653
Very nice amp the sockets, the transformers and the design are amazing :)
I'm also very pleased with this combination on Eternity. Dis you tried to power your speaker with the same combination ?

Oh Chris, where have you been. Speakers have been given a workout with this combination and it's just as good... The Axis Voicebox is very clear and natural and produce a full on sound that belies it's size. With the floorstander Boston, bass and body tone is more prominent. Would love to try Odyssey with my main floorstanders Axis LS88 back in Sydney in time to come. There's a lot more headroom on Odyssey. It's hardly pushed.

This not the only combination that is good. There are others that are so close but this combination has just the slight edge.

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,195 of 3,653
I've been on long long vacation visiting family.... without amp nor any time to give a look on forums..
Just back with tons of work to plan...
Currently listening "Daniel Lanois / Heavy Sun" Album with EL39 + NR73 on Eternity (I really missed Eternity and so good sound :wink: )

cover.jpg

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,196 of 3,653
While you guys are listening to your beautiful amps I had to put my 2 left hands at work. I always told you how much I appreciate serviceability and comfort on a headphone. Well, today in 10 minutes I've exchanged the headband of T1.2 and the earpads with some spare parts bought online. All I needed was a screwdriver. Nice isn't it? Well, this is what I expect from every headphone manufacturer.

T1_headband_earpads_01.jpg

Nothing fancy, nor hard. I mean, if I was able to do this in 10 minutes its clear.

T1_headband_earpads_02.jpg

Basic stuff.

T1_headband_earpads_03.jpg

Cleaning inside the drivers was also very easy, but I've done it with care, of course. Simple, clean, nice. We have an almost new headphone with a new real leather headband (for original T1.1 but compatible with mine) and new earpads. Why to use service and shipping for this? I love T1.2.

T1_headband_earpads_04.jpg

Now try this on other flagships which cost several thousand euros. LOL. T1.2 will never leave my house, the rest of my headphones are for sale. What will come next? I have no idea.

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,199 of 3,653
Well, I do not claim to put T1 in the same boat with HE1000SE but something happened in the last years: price of a flagship went from 1000 EUR to several thousands and they are harder to mantain or repair but anyway all buy them and discuss more about the color scheme than the sound signature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back