Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #1,156 of 3,721
KT88 is not suitable for OTL amps. It has too high internal resistance. If you parallel two, or preferably three or more, per channel it can be done. There are much better suitable tubes for OTL use than KT88.

Thanks for confirming Tomas. I don't want to spoil the fun in the Euforia thread, hence I said nothing.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #1,157 of 3,721
KT88 is not suitable for OTL amps. It has too high internal resistance. If you parallel two, or preferably three or more, per channel it can be done. There are much better suitable tubes for OTL use than KT88.
If they put 2 x KT88 in parallel per channel, I wish luck to those wanting to try GEC KT88 and will search for a quad.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #1,158 of 3,721
I put after 2 months my pair of Verite Open on the head to make some A:B with Ether 2 and after 2 minutes I realized I do not want to wear them. Too heavy and uncomfortable after you get used with some real comfortable headphones. So these go for sale or trade with Empyrean in the same condition. Soundwise are better, at least for my taste, than Ether 2, a little bit different tuned but this just does not matter anymore to me, I want to wear Ether 2 or similar headphones in weight.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #1,159 of 3,721
I set out to recommend you this headphone but I became very interested as a result. Read some of the reviews online.

031318_grado_ps2000e_promo.jpg

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #1,160 of 3,721
I set out to recommend you this headphone but I became very interested as a result. Read some of the reviews online.

031318_grado_ps2000e_promo.jpg
Ah no, Grado! I owned a pair from them, very uncomfortable and the earpads start to dissintegrate fast. I kept it in the box 1 year and they were looking like I used it. It was a cheap model, but all are somehow similar in terms of comfort. Mine was 325is I think, piercing highs, a fast headphone. The cable was not detachable and quite thick and heavy. I sold them many years and and Grado is on my list of "no go". This is their top model I think, well, for me it fails on the design.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,162 of 3,721
This one not, but even if it seems to have bigger earpads than the one I had, it has the same headband and the earpads from the same material. I remember it was a kind of sponge, which became firm in time, and when I took them out from the box to sell, after around one year, well, it was looking awful. Nope, Grado is not for me.

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #1,164 of 3,721
I think that one is a very good headphone, but it has 640g and it is important to adjust everyting to fit on your head on a specific position. If it moves, sounds differently, at least from what I've read, well not for me. Let's hope you will like it.

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,165 of 3,721
The last two days were the days of unfulfillment. I've switched through pads, tubes, headphones and nothing convinced me it is the end game.

Night.jpg

There are moments when you think nothing is perfect or as you expect. Let's hope the next days will change my mind because at the moment I am willing to sell all my headphones.

Aug 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #1,167 of 3,721
You just have to reset your mind. It could be tired. You have put it through a lot of work. Rest your brain for a while. Things are never so good or so bad we sometimes believe they are.
Yep, you are, as always, a wise man. I have rolled a lot, struggled a lot to understand new pairs and new headphones. But I reached a point when nothing makes sense. Most probably a break is the wisest thing to do and then reset and take it all again from scratch. I have circled through all pads of Ether 2, all having some pros and cons, but in the end realized that the stock ones provide the most coherent sound. It is somehow the expected conclusion that they released this in the most linear possible configuration and then just released some other pads to fulfil others expectations. The Ether 2 is very different from my other headphones, everything being in front of me. This might be good or bad, they are a more direct and aggressive headphone. Maybe this is why I feel it is not exactly what I expect. But then, other are also missing something. I need a reset. :)

Aug 14, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #1,168 of 3,721
Sometimes I become overwhelmed by some new tubes or equipment. They seem to fulfil a deep need. After a while I get a subtle feeling that something is missing. Sometimes that feeling disappears and all is well in the world but other instances it just keeps on growing and become unbearable. Time is needed to find out what is happening. Your brain needs time to adapt to changes too. 'Burning in' is often to give the brain time to adapt. When that is done, you often can't remember what was bothering you.

Aug 14, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,169 of 3,721
Sometimes I become overwhelmed by some new tubes or equipment. They seem to fulfil a deep need. After a while I get a subtle feeling that something is missing. Sometimes that feeling disappears and all is well in the world but other instances it just keeps on growing and become unbearable. Time is needed to find out what is happening. Your brain needs time to adapt to changes too. 'Burning in' is often to give the brain time to adapt. When that is done, you often can't remember what was bothering you.
Well said Mr triod, well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back